Television Doctor Who

Discussion in 'Movies & Media' started by Zexion of the Twilight, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

Been away for a few days, but anyway, my thoughts on "Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS." Excellent! All the references to the past, the voices of past Doctors and companions, also... two Time War references this series already? Wow, must be a new record for a Moffat-run Who. And as far as this negativity for new newer episodes goes... I think I've made it clear in this thread that I'm not the biggest fan of Series 5 and 6. So frankly, I find myself enjoying Series 7 Part 2 so much more and consider them vast improvements. Sure, there would be episodes that aren't universally loved ("Rings of Akhentan" and "Cold War" for example), but that's the case for every series in the show. Also, these last couple of episodes converted my sister into a Whovian. Now I'm watching episodes with her every week. I can't remember the last time she and I were this close. And I don't get the complaints for modern-day Clara. All this travelling is still new for her, so I'm not surprised one bit by the way she's written. Besides, after "Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS", I'm sure she'll be great in future episodes. Though I will say next week's episode feels like a meh episode despite having Jenny, Vastra, and Strax in it. Hope I'm wrong, but... I don't know...

2. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

I agree. I think Moffat might have made a bit of a mistake for waiting this long to give Clara a major role. Of course she is already the center of the entire plot for this season, she still sadly doesn't get enough attention. Maybe it's some sort of new "ploy" Moffat is trying to use to mix things up. Well, hopefully Clara maintains a more important role as she had in "Journey to the Center of the TARDIS."

As for the next episode, with Moffat you really can't tell what to expect. I might love it, I may hate it, but I'll still be watching it.

the way, who else is hoping Clara remembers the bit from the library? If she does, does it pose a danger to The Doctor?

3. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

4. Hiro ✩ Guardian

I really hope they bring back 8 at some point... He's my favorite classic Doctor.

5. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

Yeah, I was hoping for 8 because he is a brilliant Doctor and it's sad to see him only among the confines of the film and on audio. I think he did a brilliant job, I expected no 4-7 and 9 was a no but we still had a chance with 8.

I finally understand what people have been saying when they call this the 8th anniversary and not the 50th! Sorry, slow on that. Yes it is about looking forward but the past is also important... sigh... well I know it can be a brilliant anniversary without the classic Doctors but it still saddens me.

EDIT: Quite an interesting article here that reveals some hints about the finale of this series: http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/the-name-of-the-doctor-spoilery-details-48574.htm

POST LIBRARY RIVER?! Well, that should be interesting and if someone has to die then what if it's River. It could be Clara but I highly doubt that as she's in the 50th so it might be River who actually dies. Unless they just mean Simeon is dying...

6. Hiro ✩ Guardian

I have a theory about the Doctor's Name

Since Clara learned the Doctor's name, would it be possible that she learns it again, then the Great Intelligence (mentioned to be appearing) captures her to learn it, but she doesn't give it up, ends up making it out of there, and that's how the Doctor loses her? Idk.

Also, post-library River... That's pretty interesting... I wonder how they'll make it work.

7. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

*not going to read finale details because of spoilerz...*

anyway, as far as the anniversary episode goes, there was a point when I was afraid it was going to be nothing but Classic Who fan-service. Obviously, that won't be the case. Still, even without any classic Doctors returning, I bet Moffat can do something for Classic Who fans. I'm sure of it.

8. Hiro ✩ Guardian

Even with Nine out, I'm calling it:

/inb4welearnhowEightregenerated

9. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

You have no idea how badly I want to see this scene happen. Even if they wait till the 60th to do it, they MUST do it.

10. Hiro ✩ Guardian

I'm with ya bro. I understand that they would have confused people if Eight Regenerated at the start, but I doubt it was impossible to give Eight his own series. They at least owe us his regeneration.

11. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

Alright, Crimson Horror:

CLARA! WHY YOU NO DOING ANYTHING?!

Apart from that I loved the episode, it was a Doctor-companion lite episode which was interesting as neither came in until about 15 minutes in. Still, it worked well as it gave the trio a good introduction into the episode.

I loved the reference to Tegan <3 I was very happy! (Tegan being the fifth Doctor's companion who he attempted to get back to Heathrow in his first series but the TARDIS wasn't having it. Anyway, loving the reference.

I think I need to rewatch it (as always) because I missed parts so the story feels incomplete. I really felt for the daughter, Ada because she was lovely and the actress who played her was amazing (I know the actress who played her and her mother are mother and daughter in real life which is quite cool). My one main problem with this episode is Clara was just benign, I'm starting to wonder if it's intentional because they wouldn't have made her so useless if there hadn't been a reason- is it making a point that she is very different from the previous Claras. They have done a very good job of building us up to finale but I do hope that she becomes more useful in future episodes.

I did love the ending as she finally sees her Victorian self! I can't wait, but I don't understand how the kids got the picture of Clara Oswin Oswald. Oh well, it'll be good to see who she finally is. I'm looking forward to next week's episode as the two kids she looks after are travelling in the TARDIS which should be interesting, I like having lots of companions.Also, it seems that the new look of the cybermen isn't just a random redesign like normal, there is a relevance to their new look- it's part of the story which I look forward to seeing why, plus these cybermen can run!

12. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

Definitely agree with all of that.

It's like, Clara finally gets an episode where she has a more important role and BAM right back to being in the background. I'm starting to think the three side characters get more face time than Clara -_-

Aside from that . . . mess, it was a really cool episode. I kind of freaked when I first saw The Doctor. I was like "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, this place better not turn out to be the fields of Trenzalore!!" But then he went back to normal and I was like, "Okay." There were just so many interesting characters in this episode. The mother and daughter were pretty cool. It might be odd but I loved it when Ada went berserk on her mom, then on the leach.

Don't know if anyone else caught it, but Thomas Thomas was a reference to the Tom Tom. If you watch and listen closely you'll see how funny the reference is. Listen to how the boy gives directions, lol

The ending was a definite shocker. The kids know you're a time traveler, and you just saw a picture of yourself that you don't remember. Actually, it was a picture of Victorian Clara. As for getting the picture, the internet is good for doing that. I'm sure The Doctor will likely play it off as, "Oh, that's just something that hasn't happened yet. You'll take that picture later." Either that or Clara will just keep it bottled up until a later time when it can majorly affect the story plot.

I'm kind of psyched for next weeks episode. Cybermen are back, the kids go with them, and The Doctor apparently plays a role in the Cybermens return. Looks interesting.

There was definitely a lot I like about this episode. The witty references, the characters, the plot. It was all fun. Hope to see more Clara in the future though, at least seeing Clara making a bigger impact.

13. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

I have to say, Crimson Horror was much, much better than I expected. If there was someone I'd say who was the real star of the episode, it was definitely Jenny. Also:

First of all, with this whole Clara not being important in this episode, I kinda expected it since ever since I read the premise of the episode. It's one of those Doctor/companion lite episodes. Should it have been aired earlier? Maybe. But that would kinda ruin the flow of this episode leading right to next week's episode. Eh, whatever. Next week, Cybermen. Woot! Glad to see their previous designs aren't gone for good, because they are my favorite Cybermen models (despite how badass the new ones look). Which brings me to my next question. Those old models are the Cybermen from the alternate universe (the Cybus ones). Possible connection?

14. ShibuyaGato Transformation

Okay, I absolutely adored Crimson Horror.
    For a Doctor + companion-lite filler, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was much better than Gatiss' other episode this series (Cold War), and there was just the right amount of Straxx and Vastra to satisfy my needs without overdoing it. The flashback scenes were well done (which I can thoroughly appreciate as an editor) and the way everything came together in the end was just perfect. Jenny happens to be near and dear to my heart as well, so the focus on her was a nice treat. Still, I do wonder why she was the only one concerned with Clara's "return." Okay sure, maybe Vastra was trying not to intrude or ruin it for the Doctor, but Straxx might've at least mentioned something, being as dim-witted as he is now.

Now regarding Ada, I do appreciate the fact that she didn't just forgive her mother at the end for such an atrocity, but she became a bit too spiteful in my opinion, and the Doctor would've talked that person down in most cases. Maybe it was because she had been blinded, or maybe just because of the gravity of the poison, but that was something that got to me. He would've at least shown the slightest bit of concern as she fell off the steps and plummeted to her end. I did like their inclusion of a real-life mother-daughter team and the Clara thing at the end was lovely. I just hope the next episode isn't a total let down. After all, the Doctor becomes the "savior of the Cybermen" and that's bound to make for an interesting struggle.

15. Midnight Star Master of Physics

I love Jenny and Vastra so much, they are amazing. Spin off series please?

Although I just read something which is an interesting thought.

It’s mentioned in the Christmas Special that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle used the adventures of Madame Vastra and Jenny Flint as inspiration for Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson. While it’s obvious that Doyle wrote out the part where Holmes is an ancient lizard woman, there’s little that seems to link Jenny to Watson other than being the detective’s assistant.

But then it struck me: Watson is a former soldier with medical experience. Who later comes off as a bumbling fool compared to Holmes.

That’s not Jenny Flint.
    That’s Strax.

…I’m not saying it’s canon, but my first reaction was to think that Doyle is shipping Vastra/Strax. And that’s just wrong.

16. Razgriz Thirteen Traverse Town Homebody

You guys have pretty much covered most everything I have to say about the Crimson Horror, so I don't think I need to repeat myself. As an episode it was brilliant, but in terms of the placement, I feel it kind of dropped the ball on the Clara mystery. We still know absolutely nothing, and if the finale is to reveal Clara's identity I think there wasn't enough of a proper build up to it. I'll actually be pretty disappointed if next week's episode doesn't at least lead up to the finale in some way.

17. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

There appears to be a prequel to the finale that will air after "Nightmare in Silver"

Source

18. Lucideffective Merlin's Housekeeper

19. Hiro ✩ Guardian

I swear to god, this is stupid.

I'm done with Moffat's era of DW. I legitimately quit. I had high hopes for this, but this is just wrong. I'm NOT watching the 50th Anniversary special now. They can throw in all the fanservice that I could want and I still wouldn't watch it.

Go to hell, Moffat.

20. Razgriz Thirteen Traverse Town Homebody

Wait what no, sorry but I refuse to believe this until it turns up in other sources, I just, why would Moffat even do that...