Cowards and Cowardly Acts

Discussion in 'The Spam Zone' started by Amaury, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Amaury Legendary Hero

I figured I'd create this here to get more discussion.

I'm not sure how many here know or know of Phantasy Star Universe, but one of the early cutscenes involves one of the three Vol brothers holding Ethan so Hiru, the leader, can punch him without him retaliating, which is a cowardly act because Hiru knows Ethan would win in a fair fight.

I watched an episode of Degrassi yesterday on YouTube because TeenNick has skipped some: season 11, episode five (Idioteque). Throughout the episode Drew was worried that Vince, who they met back in episode one, part two (it was also the character's first appearance), or his thugs would come after him. Sure enough, at the end of the episode, poor Drew ended getting jumped.

Watch from 20:16 until the end here:

Going back to the first episode (Boom Boom Pow, known as Spring Fever in the US), it all started when an ex-boyfriend of Bianca, who happened to be a part of Vince's gang, tried to rape her. Drew came to the rescue and Bianca ended up killing her ex-boyfriend with a brick.

Watch from 19:20 until the end here:

Vince and his thugs finally ended up being arrested in episode 29 (Dead & Gone Part 2). See 10:30 - 19:45 here:

And a little more trivia, between Vince's first and last appearance, he forced Bianca to be his slave. He forced her to trade and sell drugs, have sex with him, and probably other things.

It's gotten to me to think that I really hate cowards. I mean, I always have, but even more so now. I also brought this up with @Nights™ last night, and he said he also hated the fact that in Idioteque people just stood there while Drew was pounded. Right after the thugs left, there were sirens, so the bystanders likely called police while the pounding took place and just didn't want to get involved and potentially get hurt themselves.

Discuss.

Edit: My bad. Looks like the Vince character is still in the show, just hasn't had a need to be on. I don't see a "Last Episode" field for him on his Wikia page.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  2. 61 No. B

what would you have done were you in that situation?

i try not to make bold statements like that because I don't know how I would act in the same situation. The same is true for almost everyone. We don't know how we will act or react until we are put in a position where we have to make a decision. We can assume or hope but we do not know until it has happened.

3. Amaury Legendary Hero

In Drew's situation or the bystanders' situation?

4. 61 No. B

i dont know i just skimmed your post and saw a rant about people not stepping in to break up a fight or whatever

whichever fits

maybe both

5. Amaury Legendary Hero

That was Nights who said that. Drew was jumped and being beaten up by thugs and the bystanders waited until the thugs left before doing anything directly, which was seeing if Drew was okay. However, right after the thugs left there were sirens, so the bystanders likely called 9-1-1 while they were watching the beating take place.

6. Patman Bof

Totally agree, you can' t predict how you' d react until you actually live it. At all. I' ve seen a couple having a vocal argument in a train station once. When I saw the guy pull out a knife from his pocket time suddenly stood still. I wasn' t the only one to notice, everyone was frozen, you could have heard a fly fart. It' s not that I didn' t want to move, I just couldn' t, my brain was too busy trying to catch a coherent thought. Thankfully the guy noticed, put the knife back in his pocket and went away. As much as you' d like to believe you wouldn' t be the useless bystander, when instincts kick in you' re not the pilot anymore.

Besides, courage is a tad more complicated than you make it sound. My great grand-father was a leader in the resistance during WW2. A big part of his job was to explain to the newest recruits that no, charging guns-a-blazing won' t help anyone. The Nazis weren' t the kind who' d just put a bullet in your head, if you got caught in your "heroic" (more like moronic) charge they' d go after every known family and friend of yours. Don' t have any ? Rest assured the community at large will pay the price somehow. Think you won' t talk under torture ? Right, think again. It' s all well and good to be willing to help, but you have to know when and where to strike. Courage alone won' t make a powerless situation any less powerless.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  7. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

Call me dumb, which I actually believe this to be true myself, but in situations where fight or flight kicks in I'm more inclined to fight. It's moronic to charge in in terms that your life could be at risk and may even go in vain but I've seen too many people sit by and let things happen. This goes against so many protocols but if I ever pull up to a scene where someone is trapped, be it a house fire or vehicle accident, my first thought is to get them out, with or without gear or any regard for my personal safety. My life might be at risk but if there's a chance that I can save someone's life then it is well worth the risk. The thought of living on knowing that someone was fatally injured when I could have stopped it is just too much to bare. Maybe it's just me or even the training I've went through but in an FoF situation, my goal is to remain calm and think clearly. It's not easy and not just anyone can do it; hell, it takes everything I've got to do it myself.

In a situation represented above, the thugs beating up the guy in the street, there were no weapons involved. If three or four people would have intervened then the thugs would have likely dispersed or even been detained. Even just one person would've increased the likelihood of the thugs dispersing. Even if you didn't want to be harmed, from what I caught in the video, it didn't look like anyone was rushing to his aid after the thugs left. I can't quite explain the feeling I get when seeing others just stand by in situations like this. Just the other day I watched a civilian save a life because he didn't wait. The guy actually knew CPR, luckily, but if he had waited for help it would've been a fatality.

I have a deep fondness for military personnel because they lay their lives down every day to protect their countries, their families, their friends. The same goes for law enforcement, firefighters, and EMS. Anyone who lays their life on the lines to protect or save others is a hero in my eyes. There is such a thing as superman and superwoman, they live amongst us every day. Some go unnoticed, some don't get the respect they deserve. They don't do it for respect, or money, or fame but out of their own belief that it needs to be done. My heart may be cold, my soul may be so dark it is devoid of any light at all but I still stop to thank any of these brave men and women for their services towards their country.

Fear, even though I know it can't be controlled, stops people from doing anything in these situations. It's not their fault as fear is rooted deep within our subconscious. Not being able to swim, I can honestly say I don't know how I'd react to someone drowning. I honestly don't know if I could bring myself to take that leap in hopes that not only will I swim but that I would bring that person back to shore. The instinct to live might be so overwhelming that my body would freeze up and I wouldn't physically be able to do anything. There's also the chance that I could make the situation worse and instead of one person drowning there would be two. Though I would hope that someone would act in my place or that if no one did I would overcome my fear and dive in. I just feel like there are too many people in the world for there to not be someone who would take charge in that situation.

I just feel like calling the cops, emergency services or what have you, doesn't mean you're helping. They aren't always going to be just around the corner. It takes time for them to respond. It might be foolish to step in but sometimes things need to be done where logic doesn't come into play. It isn't logical to go into a burning house. It isn't logical to rush towards the sound of gunfire. Sometimes you just have to do something even when it goes against every instinct, every fiber of your being, telling you not to. Even though this is a show, I understand there will be isolated cases where it's not possible for anything to be done. For instance, not being sexcist or anything, there were two females in the background just before, or maybe during ... I can't recall, and it's understandable for them not to rush in head first. It's unclear whether there were any other guys around at the time, I don't recall seeing any, so I can chalk this up to a case where nothing could be done. Situations like this where there are more people who could do something but don't happen all the time though. That's just something that I simply can't accept.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  8. Patman Bof

Oh it is undoubtedly your training, makes a big difference to be prepared for it. I wouldn' t call it dumb if you actually know what you' re doing/ actually have a fair chance to help.

Really ? We all learn that in school here. You should ask someone to teach you, it really doesn' t take that long. In the meantime :

- If the water is very cold you have to wet your neck before you jump in, otherwise you might die of a syncope.
    - If you lay on your back as if you were laying in your bed you' ll float. You can' t drown in that position.
    - From there all you have to do to move around (towards the direction pointed by your head) is to move your legs as if you were trying to walk. Making frogg-style moves is even more efficient (pull your feet towards your ass as if you wanted to crouch then push as fast as you can, as if you were trying to jump as high as you can).
    - Grab the person and put his/her head on your shoulder so that it stays out of the water.
    - Keep moving using your legs as before (now that the person is on top you might have trouble keeping your nose out of the water if you don' t).

Of course if the person is already underwater you' ll have to actually know how to swim.

9. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

I was actually referring to ... hmm, what should I call it ... dumb as in the idea of rushing in without a full understanding of the situation. You're right, training definitely makes the difference and allows you to react to situations in a way that most can't. Though if, for instance, I was to notice a child on the second floor of a burning house, I'm the only one on scene and have no turnout gear, it would be foolish to simply rush into the house. I could get injured or potentially die but FoF would kick in and I'd charge in without thinking of the consequences. In that moment the only thing running through my mind is to get that child, or person of any age, to safety. That's why when tones drop for fully engulfed structure fires with possible entrapment, same goes for if entrapment is confirmed, my heart sinks and my body gets light.

That's more how I was referring to it being dumb. Not wrong but still dumb.

Thanks ^^ I really do need to have someone teach me. Around here it's taught more with the "sink or swim" method. I'll definitely remember your advice though if I ever need it. No one's ever really tried to explain to me a method which I could actually use before. I never thought of floating as a way to move in the water, more of like a lifeline.

If they were already underwater I'm not so sure I could do much. I've literally almost drowned in knee deep water before but that's more because I'm typically a clutz.

10. The Fuk? Dead

This is the most Degrassi sentence ever.

11. Amaury Legendary Hero

Yes, but remember that Degrassi drama situations are based on what real teenagers in school deal with, particularly high school as of the later seasons (starting around season five, maybe?), as they used to do middle school.