Alright Kh-vids, let's see just how ****** your taste is

Discussion in 'The Spam Zone' started by Jube, Feb 26, 2014.

1. A Zebra Chaser

DDD has the msot glitches I've heard of in any KH games. People falling through floors, getting stuck in objects

No time travel as a sub plot in anything, please. If it's not the main focus 90% of the time it'll butchered.

Oh yeah, mashing pressing y to attach to a wal, then jumping, then attaching to a wall, then jumping is a REALLY fun way to get to the top of a building. Loved the part where dodge rolling into a wall could trigger flowmotion. Also the way every action had a really harsh stop at the end removing any actual 'flow' from the motion

2. Hayabusa Venomous

For one, I don't really care to compare cutscenes in games. They're obviously going to improve with each game, and they're probably the least important part of the game's design. The game's actual plot beats Kingdom Hearts II's to a pulp.

Also, you could complain that Kingdom Hearts: Final Mix had some clunky platforming and puzzles, but most of Kingdom Hearts II is RUN FORWARD AND HIT THING. Legitimately, you barely even need to jump in Kingdom Hearts II, and the reduction of puzzles broke the variety of gameplay into more button mashing and hitting Triangle. Magic isn't useless; it's simply not overpowered like it becomes in some future games, and summons being useless...yeah, no, I recently saw my friend beating down Kurt Zisa through implementing timely summons of Bambi. If anything, the summons in Kingdom Hearts II are more useless.

Experience behind a game doesn't mean jack if the actual design doesn't improve. The newer Call of Duty games aren't better just because the development team has been making those games longer.

3. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

...Huh, weird. I never ran into any of that.

Arright yeah but fuck the time travel 'cause according to the rules he can't do it anymore

WHAT MATTERS IS...

[​IMG]

# H A T E R S

4. A Zebra Chaser

KH1 has some moments in the story that really shines, but in terms of plot it's really not special. It's a pretty bog standard adventure.

I'd take running forward and hitting something and that actually works as opposed to trying to platform by just sliding off the geometry. The no jumping and platforming doesn't really hold much water to me, either, since I've played Final Mix which adds a boat of new technical enemies, never mind the Cavern of Remembrance. I'll take KH being a straight up brawler over a awkward mashup of other genres it was never meant to be.

Okay, so when outside of Kurt Zisa would it be worthwhile to summon Bambi? Early game item hunting, maybe, but even that doesn't work for long because that's based on the number of hits you can dole out, which gets astronomically low by the end of the game. In KH2 they all had legitimate damage dealing potential plus useful abilities. Summons are as viable as any other option in KH2.

Not... really sure what Call of Duty has to do with this, but Black Ops 2 is regarded as one of the better ones, and that's fairly recent. Hardcore fans will tell you each multiplayer update is better, too

5. Hayabusa Venomous

But it does bog standard much better than Kingdom Hearts II does with its mess of subplots. I know it's not original, but I still like the way the story was told in the first Kingdom Hearts. I still do enjoy Kingdom Hearts II, but it's impossible for me now to not see all the missed potential and botched writing.

While you may prefer staying on the ground and mashing buttons, I myself actually liked that the first Kingdom Hearts focused on more elements than the combat. And while you consider it an awkward mashup...it's already a mix of Disney and Final Fantasy. I dunno, just thought it was odd to make that point. While it doesn't have much platforming or puzzles, Kingdom Hearts II has a bunch of awkward mini-games, which I didn't really enjoy any of. (Though I do have to state that I haven't played Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix, so I can't account for the additions to its platforming and such.)

Whenever you need some more MP? The cool thing about having those Summons is that they were never overpowered to the point where you need to use them, but still useful so that you can choose to use them. I legitimately rarely used my summons in Kingdom Hearts II due to how overpowered the Magic and physical combat in that game was.

I was more referring to Call of Duty: Ghosts, in which you follow the leader for about 6 hours. Maybe I could have chosen a better game series to reinforce my point: that a development team having spent more time with a series doesn't automatically mean it'll get better.

6. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

The plot is plain, but the execution is brilliant. End result being that the story is quite special.

Who are you to say what it was meant to be? KH actually continued a long tradition of Squaresoft's, being that gameplay was frequently broken up with fun minigames and out-of-genre segments. The success of these segments varied as one would expect, but experimentation was in their genes, and the fact remains that it offered a break from the bare-bones "kill things find things upgrade" formula most RPGs/ARPGs fall victim to. People underestimate how important it is to take a break from that; it helps keep things fresh.

What you'd rather have in the experience really has nothing to do with its quality. Some of us greatly prefer the original KH experience, faults and all, and would have preferred to see it fine-tuned over subsequent installments, rather than have half of it scrapped. Vote for what you want, but don't soapbox about it.

Plus KH2 combat is shit fite me :E

7. A Zebra Chaser

That's just personal preference with me, honestly. I'd rather see something done I haven't seen, and fail, rather than something tried and true that I've seen before. It's why I prefer Sonic over Mario.
    >Staying on the ground
    >KH2
    Pick one
    And I mean, you say this like KH2 isn't full to the brim of mini games

What? I'm sorry, WHAT? Like... that's so unrelated of a comparison I don't even know how to respond to this

The mini games are pretty shallow, but they work a lot better than the platforming in KH1

When do you EVER need MP? Casting magic is so costly, yet so weak, and inacurate to boost. Aero and Cure don't cost that much and since summons require party members the most vital places where you might need a pinch MP boost don't allow their use.

So you were referring to a small portion of a game, the part most people completely skip over, rather than the meat of it? Experience begets quality. It's not a guaranteed thing, not everything can be a winner, but even the cutscenes of Days are technically superior to the ones in KH1, and that operates on basically PS1 technology. It's expeirence, plain and simple.

Brilliant? You're clearly seeing something here that I'm not, and I'd love to hear about it

I have as much of a right to say what the game should be as you or the devs

And it sucked
    [​IMG]
    Taking breaks is vital... that's why KH2 has gummi ship stuff between worlds, mini games between battles, cutscenes between gameplay, side quests, and occasionally a boss based around a different mechanic (Grim Reaper, Jafar)

My experience is all there is to quality. Quality isn't some objective thing. You prefer KH1? Okay. Great. Good for you. That's... uh.
    Good
    Present me with some solid arguments and maybe I'll even join you
    Don't act like somehow there's a right way to look at this. What I want from a game determines how high quality the game is for me, and the same goes for you.
    Doesn't mean we can't have fun and debate about it

8. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

I'd love to tell you, if you weren't so sarcastic about it and I had some mote of assurance you'd listen

No it didn't

Don't make me laugh. The minigames weren't any better than before, the gummi ship missions basically played themselves if you mashed all the face buttons, and everything else paled in comparison to the offerings from the first game. The Grim Reaper and Scar were the only fights I enjoyed from that game (since personal enjoyment seems to be the only thing you respect), with the exception of the last boss rush, and that's way too late for a game to start being fun.

...Yes it is. It can be measured, points can be drawn to indicate it. Quality ceases to have meaning when anyone can freely affect it. What you're talking about is your impression of it, that's different. If you wanna talk about that then that's fine, I got no beef.

No you won't. Because I just did, and you shot them down like a stubborn child. You're probably about to do so again. You do the same damn thing in the postcount sections and I'm sick of tryna put it to you nicely. I'm not gonna waste all day proving a point only you don't get. Quit being a punk about it and maybe I'll show some respect.

I only did it 'cause you did.

It stops being fun the second you start being sardonic and snippy about it.

9. Hayabusa Venomous

I'd typically agree with you there, but I just find the first Kingdom Heart's plot more enjoyable and memorable than Kingdom Hearts II's. Ultimately though, it's preference, like you said.

The thing is that the mini-games are separated sequences from what would be considered the main gameplay. While in the first game, the platforming and puzzles were integrated with the majority of the game (I.E. running around as Sora and hitting things with your Keyblade,) Kingdom Hearts II's mini-games changed the gameplay style, and (in my opinion, at least) not in entertaining ways. Hell, I had the same annoyance with mini-games in Birth By Sleep, and that's my favorite title in the series. I appreciate Kingdom Hearts II trying to use mini-games to change up pacing, but they just weren't fun to me.

You said that combat + platforming and puzzles seemed like something that was good to reduce and streamline due to how awkward they are, but don't you think the whole concept of mixing Disney with Final Fantasy is also kinda awkward?

But I can see why you were confused by this. I'll drop it.

I personally had little issue with the platforming, and had more fun playing with a vertical axis than I ever did with the mini-games. They might be more functional, but I still didn't like them. Guess that's preference too.

If you want to use Magic. It's a perfectly viable solution in combat. The only spell I feel was inaccurate too often was Fire. Thunder and Blizzard and Stop and Cure and Aero all worked fine for me. Same with the Summons: I never relied on them, but they were good to have if I wanted to try something else in combat.

I don't really care to debate the cutscenes any further than that the writing to me is more important than the visuals.

10. A Zebra Chaser

I always listen, sarcasm is just how I roll. The only reason I ever have these discussions is because I love hearing other people's opinions, but good to know you have me all figured out.

Crazy Motorcycle was even worse

Gummi missions could play themselves, or you could actually try to get S ranks on all the missions. The point was that there are breaks in the action
    (Also, I LOATH the Scar fight, he just runs around everywhere and you don't even have guard to deal with it)

Points can be drawn, but those points won't be valued by everybody. Only the technical element of games is absolute, and even then that doesn't mean much. You can say a game is bad because it's glitchy, but a lot of people like that. Quality varies by exposure, too. If all you eat is McDonalds, Subway is going to seem a lot fancier. There is so little objective quality in games that talking about it is almost a waste of time.

You explained how you preferred KH1? Most of what you've been saying isn't how KH1 is great (beyond stating it just plain IS) or saying how the other games are worse. Would it kill you to throw in some specific examples? WHY did you like the Scar fight? What MAKES KH1's plot so much better? I've offered plenty of examples in the bulk of my arguments in this topic.

Only did it because I did, huh? And apparently I'm the child in this.

Can't deal with sardines?[DOUBLEPOST=1393614319][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Mini games in KH just... never really work. They can do combat right and that's why I wish they would stick to that. The platforming, QTEs, and other gameplay changes never get the attention they need to actually get good

My issue with magic is that it's costly, not that much stronger, and can STILL miss

And writing is definitely a bigger factor, which is why I'll defend the original CoM to the death

11. Hayabusa Venomous

Dude, you guys could calm it down a liiiiiiiiiittle bit :|

I'm glad we could both agree: Kingdom Hearts does a crap job at mini-games xD

Well, I dunno about you, but I like that it can still miss. Means you can't spam it as much usually (one thing I disliked in Dream Drop Distance was that the best spells were typically area-of-effect and thus didn't rely on aiming.)

I can understand that. Chain of Memories had a really good plot.

12. libregkd -

13. A Zebra Chaser

14. Jube Formerly Chuck's

15. Fearless A good and beautiful child

LADIES, PLEASE, YOU'RE ALL PRETTY.
    NOW CALM DOWN.
    We can all just agree that Coded has the best gameplay and move on.

16. A Zebra Chaser

Good writing too. Should have remade it in 2.5

17. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

So after all of this, it's Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts 2 in the finals...

[​IMG]

18. Oblivion Keeper Banned

Was there really any doubt that those two would be in the finals?

19. A Zebra Chaser

This, like, never mind that they're the games most people have actually played, but it's only like, the second time there's even been a even comparison

20. kitty_mckechnie I want to hug you like big fuzzy Siberian bear!

Shut up and eat your Paopu fruit.

[​IMG]