New Beginnings

Discussion in 'Archives' started by The Soul-Eater, May 24, 2007.

1. The Soul-Eater Merlin's Housekeeper

Just a quick one-shot a whipped up while I was bored. I'm kind of happy with the way it turned out, though, especially since I don't really write much anymore. There's not too much plot to it, but I like the focus on the Sora-Kairi dynamic, since they don't get to interact so much in the games.

The sun was rising over the tropical paradise of Destiny Islands, painting the sky with brilliant hues of red, gold, and violet. King Mickey and his faithful companions had returned to their castle abode, but the unmistakable aura of celebration still hung fresh in the sea-spritzed air. Organization XIII had been defeated, Kingdom Hearts had been saved, and for the first time in over a decade, people in every world were waking up to a truly peaceful day.

As the sun's first rays began to kiss his face, Sora, the young Champion of Light, awoke to a familiar face and familiar words.

"Wake up, you lazy bum," said the voice. "I knew I'd find you snoozing down here."

Sora slowly opened his eyes, brushed a few jagged locks of hair fro his face, and rose to greet his friend. Kairi, the princess with hair of red and features fair, stood over him, smiling sweetly.

"Geez, Kairi," he said through a yawn. "Can't a guy get a little sleep?"

The girl chuckled in response. "I told you not to stay up so late last night. You may be a hero, but you can't just sleep on the beach all day. You've gotta get off your butt some time," she said, grinning. "I was thinking we could make our triumphant return to school today."

Man, I love the say the sun shines on her hair, Sora though absentmindedly. Oh, and hey, that cloud kind of looks like a Keyblade! ...Wait...what!?

"School!?" he yelped in surprise. "I was kinda hoping for some more downtime."

"Yeah, but everyone really misses you. And even Riku's anxious to get back."

"Riku!? But he cut class all the time before. And he's been through more than any of us. I'd have thought he'd need the most time to settle down. How could he face a day of school so soon after all that?"

"'Like this!'" Kairi squealed giddily, squeezing her palms against her face. Even despite himself, Sora couldn't help but laugh.

And so, Sora and Kairi boarded their boats and set off for the main island. The sun shone brightly overhead, making the sea shimmer serenely, even as their paddles sliced through its surface.

Stroke, stroke....

"You know, Kairi," said Sora, "this really takes me back. Remember the first time we did this?"

"I think so," Kairi replied vaguely. "I had just gotten here not long before, and you took me to see the Secret Place...."

Stroke, stroke....

"Yeah," she continued, more confident now. "And then you freaked out and realized we were an hour late for my first day of school!" She chortled happily at the memory.

"Yeah," Sora said whimsically. "And you had such a hard time there, too. Remember? You couldn't answer any questions in math, your crayons kept breaking in art, and you didn't even have a blanket for nap time."

"I guess I was a pretty sorry sight. But you were always there for me, even when...."

Stroke, stroke...."

After a pause, Sora prompted her. "Even when what?"

"You know...." Kairi mumbled, blushing slightly. "When I was called up to the board to do some spelling. And I...y'know...dropped the chalk...and I went to get it...." Her face was glowing a bright crimson now.

"And then what?" goaded Sora playfully.

"Forget it. Forget I said anything," she snapped curtly.

"C'mon, say it. You'll feel better."

"Oh, as if you didn't know!" Kairi shouted, flustered. "I farted, all right? Right in front of the whole class," she squeaked with modesty. "And everyone called me names for a week!"

"Yeah, well...you know how witty those kindergarten kids can be," Sora quipped, grinning broadly. His smile must have been contagious, for he soon saw its echo etching its way onto the princess' face.

"But, of course..." Kairi said coyly, "that's nothing compared to the time you wet yourself at the moives...." she cooed smugly.

"For the last time, I wasn't scared!" Sora whined unconvincingly. "Besides, I was like eight years old!"

"Try thirteen," Kairi responded, her voice positively dripping with joy.

Sora stammered helplessly for a minute, barely managing to shrug and mumble "Whatever." Then, composure somewhat regained, he started to paddle faster, racing ahead of Kairi's boat. "But, you know..." he said as smoothly as he could, picking up speed all the while. "You're really cute when you get all worked up like this. Maybe after school, we could...y'know...meet back up out there in the Seaside Shack...."

Instantly, Kairi's smirk was gone, replaced instead by an expression of mock-outrage.

"Sora, you jerk!" she cried, paddling faster. "You'd better run! When I catch you, I'll kick your butt! You'll be lucky to pee your pants when I'm through with you!"

Yeah, though Sora. The adventure might be done for now, but I think this could be even better. I've got Riku...and Kairi...and our island.... We've come a long way already, but I guess this is just the next chapter in our story. Our journey's not over yet. I think I can suffer through a little algebra here and there for that.

Besides...that still leaves weekends free.

2. kevz2kool Twilight Town Denizen

wow, that was... amazing

3. Bmario17 Merlin's Housekeeper

4. Invader Jack Twilight Town Denizen

Wow, I wish I could write like that!:eek: Please, write more! This is awesome!:D

5. hwdbz Merlin's Housekeeper

nooooooooo

this story is awesome. dont make it a one-shot keepgoing. you write really good
    continue the story

pweeeety pweeeeze with sugar on top :D

6. Explode Who?!

I'm really picky with writing, but this truly was amazing. I write kind of similar to this, but it takes me an unbelievably long time to do it. Maybe I'll someday bring up the courage to write one myself...probably not.

HOORAY FOR BIG WORDS!

It was cute, funny, and somehow quaint . Keep up the good work!

7. Zandyne King's Apprentice

Let's get the obvious out of the way, congratulations on winning SotW! This is deserving the illustrious first place. XD

Now onto the actual meat: I believe this is a perfect example of what 'short and sweet' is! Wonderful job on keeping everything so concise, in-character and most importantly, maintaining the 'happy ending to go on' feel to it! *envies*
    Anyway, I hope you find the time to continue writing. It'd be a terrible shame if you didn't.

8. Heart of Dreams Merlin's Housekeeper

haha aw that was so cute! XD i laughed some on their funny memories, Kairi farting and Sora wetting himself at 13 HAHA XDDD

you wrote them in character and it didn't feel corny like most stories can be with those two if not watched, but you've pulled it off so well, and yay i loved this little story well done ^_^

9. The Soul-Eater Merlin's Housekeeper

I likely will, given that it's summertime now, but I doubt I'll make this particular story into a series. My apologies go out to those who wanted me to, but I just don't think I could do it very well. Plus, I think it would just lose a lot of its appeal that way.

10. leo34hkhk Moogle Assistant

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. key dragon One with the keyblade

Kairi FARTED!!! :D :D :D :D

12. The Soul-Eater Merlin's Housekeeper

Aye, I'm rather fond of that angle myself. It was surprisingly hard to write, though. After all, the Kingdom Hearts series has made pretty much every effort to stay away from anything even the least bit vulgar or dirty. In fact, in the entire series, the word "butt" was only been uttered once, by Mushu in The Land of Dragons.

I suppose that's what helps make it amusing: the fact that this sort of material was touched on so little in the series itself, especially considering someone like Kairi. It's still pretty tricky trying to pull it off, though.

In my preliminary brainstormings for New Beginnings, Kairi farting was one of my first ideas. That sort of back-and-forth banter between Sora and Kairi, combined with their dreamy reminiscences, helped to express the nature of their relationship, while the exact subject matter helped avoid the cheesiness that seems to permeate these sorts of stories.

In my first drafts, though, it just came off as if I had some sort of sick fetish, and as if expressing it was my entire basis for writing the story. It wasn't until I kind of shut my brain off and entered kind of a stream-of-consciousness type of thing that that part took its current form. That's also when I came up with the idea to have Sora experience a similar incident, to kind of even the score and add a bit more depth to their exchange.

In the end, I was very happy with the way things turned out, but I was still really nervous about posting it. Maybe I had taken too many liberties with the material. Maybe the board wouldn't appreciate what might be viewed as toilet humor.

I can't tell you all how grateful I am for your praise, both on this particular subject and elsewhere. :o