KH-Vids attends the NYC Launch Party!

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts News & Updates' started by Misty, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Misty gimme kiss

Hey all! Those of you who follow our Twitter have been kept up to date all day about the Launch Party event in New York City, which Wolfie, Mike, and I were all lucky enough to attend. I did my best to cover the event with videos and photos, and will compile everything from Twitter into one handy update in this thread, as well as some details on the event!

Around 7:00AM I got into Penn Station. After wandering around a bit, I found a waiting area and sat until Wolfie's train got in, about 45 minutes later. We found each other and, perhaps in an effort to ignore the awkwardness of "hello I know you from the internet," quickly set off for Rockefeller Center, where the Nintendo World Store is located. Despite being a New York native, I made Wolfie do the majority of the navigating because I was preoccupied with not being attacked. We arrived at Rockefeller Center around 8:00AM, where we quickly found Mike, who was dressed in quite a snazzy outfit!

(click all images to enlarge)

We were towards the back of the line when we got there, but more people started arriving, and the line stretched for what we estimated was four city blocks. Lots of Kingdom Hearts fans excited to get the game!

When it reached 9:00AM the line began to move as they let people in the store. To avoid overcrowding, they were only allowing about twenty people at a time into the store, so we had a ways to go. By 9:10AM, the Mark of Mastery edition was completely sold out.

We ended up being in line for about three hours (in hot, muggy weather no less!). It wasn't all bad though--we were surrounded by Kingdom Hearts fans. Everyone was very friendly and nice, and we saw some awesome cosplays!

As we waited in line we received updates from what was going on in the store from the official Kingdom Hearts Twitter. You can take a look at some of those pictures below. They had a Kingdom Hearts tee shirt raffle which I would have loved to enter, but it was over before we were even close to the store.

As the Nintendo World Store came into sight, we heard an announcement that they were running low on the standard copies of Dream Drop Distance. We were worried! I wasn't buying the game but both Mike and Wolfie intended to. The employees later announced that those near the front of the line would be given a wristband, which guaranteed them a copy of the game--anyone without one was, unfortunately, out of luck. We were close but we knew it'd be a stretch. Fortunately, we lucked out and got some of the last wristbands--think we ended up being part of the last five given out!

At this point we were pretty excited and didn't at all regret the wait. And we drew ever closer to the store!

Finally, we were in! The retail line for the game was very short (and the store wasn't packed at all--it ended up being a good decision to stagger entry into the store), so we got straight on line to buy the game. Here's a video of us once we got on; I apologize for the audio and the angles, first time with an iPhone, heh.

And finally--after three hours and forty minutes--the games were ours!

The last copy was sold at 11:44AM.

We then moved on to the Keyblade posing zone, where fans were invited to take pictures with an official Keyblade! These pictures were uploaded to the Kingdom Hearts Facebook page, so you can check out a whole bunch from the fans who attended!

After all that, we went around the store and enjoyed the displays and decorations. I took a good deal of pictures of those, so check 'em out!

There was also an awesome display case, I wanted to move about the store some so I just took a video panning down it. It had some really neat action figures!

We went to the second story of the Nintendo World Store just to check it out at that point.

And then headed downstairs for more Kingdom Hearts goodness!

They had a table where you could write postcards to the Kingdom Hearts development team!

And a video of us writing is here.

Lastly, we clambered over to the demo station, where you were allowed to give the game a try! I was the first to go, and I... did pretty terrible. You can check out the video of me playing here. Wolfie had a bit more luck than me in her try! I also took a video of Mike playing but I accidentally deleted it. ;c

The demo was a lot of fun though! I haven't played a Kingdom Hearts title since Re:Chain of Memories, so the gameplay was very new to me, but it seemed really neat! I was also impressed by the Flowmotion; really flashy! The graphics of the game were solid too--comparable to the Playstation 2 titles! We didn't play with the 3D on because we were filming the screen, but I'm sure it was awesome!

We left the store a bit after 12:00PM and got a bite to eat.

This pizza by the way was delicious, the place was just across the street from the Nintendo World Store, so if you guys ever visit I highly recommend it!

And that about concludes our coverage! Mike and Wolfie also took pictures and video so I'm sure they'll reply to this thread with them once they get online. I would like to think Square-Enix and Nintendo for hosting the event, even if they kind of fumbled with the number of copies available the decorations were so amazing and the employees were all so kind! I'd also like to thank you guys for following our coverage and not making too much fun of my smile. P: We feel so lucky that we were able to go!

Tags: this article has not been tagged
Categories:

Comments

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts News & Updates' started by Misty, Jul 28, 2012.

1. awesomeperson
      awesomeperson
      That is so awesome!I wish i was in New York
    2. Misty
      Misty
      I royally messed up some of those picture links (repeats! repeats everywhere!) but it should be alright. :)

Also if anyone else attended please feel free to post any videos or impressions!
    3. kitty_mckechnie
      kitty_mckechnie
      ​Gah, I'm uber jealous! Looks like you guys had an awesome time. Loving the photos.
    4. Korra
      Korra
      Here's some of the pictures I took today. They had some nice stuff on display outside too, like this poster, and this mat on the floor inside. Even the elevator was decorated!
      [thumb=300px]http://i45.tinypic.com/oaw0nb.jpg[/thumb][thumb=300px]http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac276/DPWolf/IMG_20120728_115740.jpg[/thumb][thumb=300px]http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac276/DPWolf/IMG_20120728_115043.jpg[/thumb]
      We also got some free stuff after buying the game - aside from the bag, we also got the game + 3 AR cards, a carrying pouch, a postcard (from the writing area), and a card to access the facebook/flickr images of the event.
      [thumb=300px]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7w20kvsrL1qcj3kwo1_1280.jpg[/thumb][thumb=300px]http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7w20kvsrL1qcj3kwo2_1280.jpg[/thumb]​

And here I begin my adventure.
      [thumb=400px]http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac276/DPWolf/IMG_20120728_144128.jpg[/thumb]​

I had a really great time today, definitely worth standing in line for three hours. They were playing music from the soundtrack while we were in there too, overall it was a great experience and so far the game is fantastic!
    5. Te Deum
      Te Deum
      FFFFFFFFFFF omg you guys are so luuuuuccckkkkyyyyy!!!!

If I had just stayed in NY a bit longer...

The games you got are the same edition that will be released in retail stores on the 31st? It seems like they are some sort of special edition.
    6. Misty
      Misty
      Aside from the argyle 3DS sleeve and the extra AR cards, I believe they are standard issue, yes. :]
    7. greater_bloo
      greater_bloo
      Thanks for the write up Misty, it was very informative! And the pics and videos were nice. Sounds like it was a pretty fun event!
    8. Te Deum
      Te Deum
      Oh goo--

Damn.
    9. strfruit
      strfruit
      It looks like you all had an amazing time! You are indeed lucky ones haha!
      I am very glad you had a great day and enjoyed the launch!! ^^

Thanks for sharing the pics and giving us an overview of what you did!
      It would have been awesome to have been able to be there :D
    10. Chevalier
      Chevalier
      Wow I'm really jealous. It looks like you guys had quite a bit of fun.

And New York looks pretty good too.
    11. Sabby
      Sabby
      Omg I'm so jealous. D: haha looks like so much fun.

Wolfie, that carrying case looks awesome. Soooooo jelly.
    12. muff monkey
      muff monkey
      you have no idea how jealous i am! i wish i was still living in NYC, ugh. i would have definitely been there.
    13. Amber
      Amber
      So jeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! D:

If it was in San Francisco, I could have gone. <_<;
    14. Iskandar
      Iskandar
      Dang, that looks like it was quite a bit of fun. Glad you guys got your time's worth
    15. Dinny
      Dinny
      Oh my that looks absolutely fantastic and magical and just wow ; u ;

I was supposed to go but then our dean didn't allow us to exit the campus once we've signed in the night before since today was departure day... abububbbu
      But anyway, wow, I sure do wish I went. This is just magical. I am so jealous! :c
    16. Noise
      Noise
      NUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

why can't they just release them all on the same day

I want it so hard. :/8D:

but it looks like you guys had a good time! supes jelly.
    17. Misty
      Misty
      Updated the first post with some more pics that Mike sent me!
    18. Mike
      Mike
      It was a lot of fun today. I'm glad we met up today. =)
    19. Llave
      Llave
      Ah I wish I could have gone. I don't live too far away. If something like this happens soon, we all should definitely do it again!

I'm so glad you guys went and had a blast!