Help Text too small to read[Legibility]

Discussion in 'Feedback & Assistance' started by TitanTX, Jul 21, 2012.

1. TitanTX Destiny Islands Resident

Hi i have been on her for a long time now, and i have difficulty in reading some of the posts made by the members, not to start a dispute since that is the last thing on my mind, but i have found extremely difficult to read the smaller text, giving me an eye strain each time i try to look at the text, also the color of the text seems to be upsetting, i generally just look away from those posts, but just pointing that out maybe fix it up a bit. I don't know. If anybody else feels the same way then please do post here. Thanks. Again not blaming anyone or trying to start a dispute just pointing out the minor things. Example of what i am saying can be found below.

I am a small and colorful text, and a bit hard to read. <---- Cannot read or too difficult to interpret.

I am average text suitable for reading with proper style. <------ Legible text

Please see if anything can be done thank you.

Regards

TitanTX

2. Amber PLUR

I will admit, I was once guilty of this. It was only relatively recently that I stopped, actually.

I don't think there should be an official rule against small text. It seems a little unfair to me.

As for color, the visibility of the color depends on whether you choose the lite skin or the dark skin. I personally chose a color that I believe displays well on all skin colors. Again, I don't think there should be an official rule against this.

I do think it should be a common courtesy to other members to try to keep one's text legible, though.

3. TitanTX Destiny Islands Resident

Color isn't that much of an issue but the size of the text is a bit of a nuisance to read every now and then. I find myself avoiding posts with minute text size and just skip ahead to the more legible ones. Thanks for the feedback. :wink:

4. Kubo Kingdom Keeper

I've noticed that too and it is hard to read indeed,I also ignore posts that I have difficulty reading but perhaps some people could adjust their fonts to make them easier for the eyes.

5. TitanTX Destiny Islands Resident

We are on a similar boat my friend. Well at least i am not alone on this.

6. Chevalier Crystal Princess

Well some members do use smaller text. I'm not really sure we can just tell them not to? Well we could but it's not like they're disturbing the peace by making that personal choice.

If you have a PC, I think you can hold down ctrl and move the mouse wheel forward to increase the size. To return to normal do the same but with the mouse wheel backwards. That's one temporary solution. I also think there's a way in browser settings to make it so all fonts appear a certain way. But that's depending on the browser so I'm not sure.

7. Patman Bof

Same here, I skip a lot of those posts too. I commented about it in the style survey.

I barely called anyone on it, after all it' s their choice, not mine. On the other hand maybe those who use those tiny fonts and funky colors don' t necessarily realize that they' re highly impractical for some users ? It' s a good idea to say it out loud, just in case they didn' t realize it. As far as I' m concerned what they make of it is up to them.

8. Amaury Legendary Hero

If you have trouble reading small text, you can use your browser to zoom in.

What browser are you using?

9. Misty gimme kiss

There's unfortunately not much we can about that. I generally don't have a problem reading smaller font sizes, and people have the freedom to use them if they so choose. They should be aware that it may harm the readability of their posts, that just because they can read it doesn't mean everyone can, but at the end of the day, it's their choice.

Chev is right that you can zoom in and out of the webpage, but a lot of browsers will let you set a minimum font size. Do something like 12 or 13 for it and you shouldn't have anymore issues.

10. TitanTX Destiny Islands Resident

Thanks for the reply guys. I am using Safari on Mac OSX any idea how to change the font size etc with this. Let me know thanks :wink:

11. Amber PLUR

Perhaps try ⌘++? I know on a PC hitting Ctrl and + at the same will zoom in, at least with my browser/OS combination.

12. TitanTX Destiny Islands Resident

Thanks Amber but i found out to zoom in on mac just double tap on the trackpad and it will instant zoom, to zoom out double tap again. Thank you

13. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Wait, why can't we require people to have their font below a certain size when we can require fonts to not be large because "it's an eyesore?"

14. Hiro ✩ Guardian

This. I wholeheartedly agree.

15. Beau Hollow Bastion Committee

There's a rule against it? Because I see Kitty use a really large font size, or is that under the maximum limit then?

I, obviously, am guilty of small font. I love it, and I enjoy having it small.

Although, I just don't understand how it's an eyesore? I can read small font just fine, no problems there.

Maybe some members wear glasses or contacts and it's hard for them to see...?​

16. Patman Bof

Well I do, but they allow me to see just as fine as someone who doesn' t need them, if not better. I just happen to have a small screen and I don' t necessarily stick close to it. Anyway, Misty' s advice worked wonders for me : I chose a permanent minimal font size in my browser settings. Problem solved, good riddance.

17. Mixt The dude that does the thing

Personal vision plays a role for sure, but there are also differences in people's screens too. My laptop has 127ppi and I need to get right in on my screen to read small fonts. While computers at my school have have noticeably lower (80-90 would be where I would guess) and there it is absolutely no problem to read.

18. C This silence is mine

Y'know. One of the first things I hated when we first moved to vB was how big the smallest font is. Why can't we get the cool small ones that some other forums have? They're pretty kawaii.

19. Hiro ✩ Guardian

I wear glasses too, but that's not the point.

Kitty's breaking the rule, but no one (even staff) seem to care.

The problem for me comes from reading large blocks of small letters. For example (not picking on you Andrew, it's just an example), some of your posts in Crossover Cove really put a strain on my eyes. Maybe it's fine fir one or 2 sentences, but for large blocks, peoppe should use the default size.

20. Jayn

I don't mean to be inconsiderate when it comes to the small text thing. I try to use the most legible small font I can. I mean, obviously, I don't have much of a problem reading small text. What bothers me the most are colors that are terrible. But regarding legible small fonts...I use small fonts because I think it makes everything look neater and sleeker in comparison to something more bulky and abrupt. Hurr, aesthetics. It appeals to me the way Comic Sans may appeal to someone else. Personal preference. :c

Jayn is not using Arial Black because she thinks that's stupid.

Jayn is not using Century Gothic because she thinks that's harder to read.

Jayn is not using Comic Sans because she thinks Comic Sans is terrible.

Jayn is not using Book Antiqua because she thinks it's harder to read.

Jayn is not using Arial because she thinks
    it's harder to read.

Jayn is not using Franklin Gothic Medium because she thinks it's harder to read.

Jayn is not using Arial Narrow because she thinks it's impossible to read.

____ is using default because ___.

I use Verdana because it's small, like I enjoy, and it's also pretty legible compared to some other fonts. It's not a matter of being inconsiderate or not thinking about other people's eye sight, etc, so apologies if I come across as a selfish jerk for customizing my text. But it's kind of under the same thing as people using ridiculous colors that show up terribly on the skin I'm using. Or people using a font I don't like. I'm not going to tell them to change their post template. They're just going to be ignored (nothing is ever that bad to me, lol...except Kitty's font) or if I'm really eager to read what they say, I'll highlight the text or do what's necessary. In this case the solutions posted have been to zoom in or set a minimum font size.

So. Yeah. I think for the most part, it's a choice and a preference. Regarding mega-huge text, how much easier is it to scroll past tiny text and ignore it than it is to scroll past giant text filling up your screen (depending)?

|: That's like comparing a mouse being in your house to a lion (+1 exaggeration dramatica). There's a difference, however annoying both could be to someone. But in the end, there are solutions.