Your opinion on Roald Dahl?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Emzy ♥, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Emzy ♥ Gummi Ship Junkie

He's the guy that made my childhood, in my opinion [:
    He's the author of some of the most popular children's , which include:
    The Twits
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
    James and the Giant Peach
    Fantastic Mr. Fox
    Matilda
    The Witches
    and The BFG.

Did anybody here read his books as a child?

2. DemyxPlaysMySitar Twilight Town Denizen

The Twits, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and James and the Giant Peach were ones I always read when I was little. Although, I remember the Witches Giving me Nightmares xD

3. Juicy Chaser

I absoluted adored Roald Dahl as a kid, it made me sad that most of his books were so short though xD

The BFG and Matilda were my favourites =3

The only book by him that ever disappointed me was the sequel to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. >|

It's also incredible how many of his books have been adapted into films.

4. Emzy ♥ Gummi Ship Junkie

Oh, me too D:
    I will never forget that day when we all watched The Witches in school, and I screamed. lol.
    ;D Awesome. I still read a book form time to time. They make me happy and brighten me up whenever I read them xD

Yes! =|
    I raged when I read The Great Glass Elevator; it was soooo disappointing, as it wasn't half as interesting as any of his others.

And true about the films, too ::L:
    The Fantastic Mr. Fox is being released in the cinemas soon, and I doubt that will be half as successful as any of the other film adaptions.

5. The Twin My, what a strange duet

I still have a copy of the Twits and James and the Giant Peach somewhere, and I still read them from time to time. I'm also reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory aloud to my elementary students for field study.

6. Kaiionel Hollow Bastion Committee

Ah, Roald Dahl! He was a fantastic children's writer if there ever was one. He had such a vast imagination. I mean, just look at Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and The Witches. Matilda is also a beloved favorite of mine, but that might just be because I grew up on the movie (I read the book as well).

He apparently hated the movie adaptation to The Witches because they changed its ending to make it a happier one. I heard he was outside the theater telling people not to go in.

7. reptar REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

its honesty surprising that the adaptions to his work are actually GOOD
    and to KairiMagic, The Witches is being remade Guillermo del Toro in complete stop motion animation, and he is doing the movie because he wanted a better adapted version of the movie

8. The Twin My, what a strange duet

Ooh, if Guillermo del Toro does the remake then it may very well be better, Pan's Labyrinth was just amazing. I hope he does go through with the remake.

9. Emzy ♥ Gummi Ship Junkie

The witches being remade? Now that sounds like a good idea ;D

I love the 2005 version of Charlie And The Chocolate Factory. I really do think they captured the eccentricity and obscurity that is Willy Wonka. Although, some may disagree with my opinion on this.

10. DemyxPlaysMySitar Twilight Town Denizen

I actually prefer it to the old one c:

11. Catch the Rain As the world falls down ♥

I loved his books when I was a little kid, and now I read them with my niece and nephew.

I remember when I was 8, I had to go into hospital for two operations and my school gave me a copy of The Witches to take in with me as a good luck present kind of thing xD I still have it somewhere I think.

I love his writing, it can be so dark at times, but it is so delicious.

12. Emzy ♥ Gummi Ship Junkie

Oh, same here c:
    The old one had singing, which put me off it.

Although his writing is so simple at times, it takes you away and into his stories and settings x3
    I love his stuff.

13. Kaiionel Hollow Bastion Committee

I don't think you can beat the old one. I don't know what it is about that one that I prefer. Maybe it's just because it's the one I'm used to. Also, I didn't like the whole "dad" plot they added to the new one.

Don't get me wrong, though, the new one was still good. I liked Veruca Salt a lot.

14. DemyxPlaysMySitar Twilight Town Denizen

It really made me wanna squirrel ._.
    The one I liked about the old one was the geese that layed golden eggs or something... and the songs were pretty catchy :v

15. Emzy ♥ Gummi Ship Junkie

:v I hated the songs so much.

Although, I must admit, the geese that laid golden eggs were good :lolface: They always made me laugh so much.

In the newer film, I found the Dad part of Willy Wonka's history rather amusing, as they dug deeper into his history rather than lacing around the edges like the original.

16. Gobolo Traverse Town Homebody

I think the Ooompa Loooompas were worse in the second adaption, because it was just the one guy where as in the original adaption they were different and had distinctive individualities so it was easier to believe that they were real people with real personalities where as the second one had clones which made them too similar.

17. Midnight Star Master of Physics

I used to love him, and read most of his books. I remember reading The Twits as a class at school and loving it. Although, I took The Witches out from the libary, read the first few chapters and stopped because I didn't like it.