who is god??

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by sinister, Jun 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sinister King's Apprentice

i don't really know who worships him but i do wonder why we should. i haven't read the bible much and i don't go to church. i once belived in the holy father but lost faith.
    i don't post this be disrespectful, i do it because i wan't to know what believers see in him.
    has he answered your prayers or showed you a sign?
    i would be very glad if anyone would like to tell me more about it.

2. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

In Christianity, the Old Testament god was an ogre. He was harsh, uncaring and violent. Anyone who disagreed with him was mercilessly slaughtered much to the joy of his followers.

It details many of the draconian laws which are generally ignored by modern Christians as they are just that backward (which in my opinion makes them not Christian, the only true Christians are the literalists >_> Which is basically those who don't hold human life sacred x]). Things like not wearing clothes made of more than one fabric (such as nylon), the death penalty for children who are disrespectful to their parents, burning for prostitutes, death for homosexuals, women being the property of their husbands etc.

In the New Testament, god turns into Jesus basically and goes on to contradict much of what is said in the Old Testament (such as the teaching on the Sabbath).

There is no true description of God as most of the accounts are conflicting. And anyway, I don't think he exists (but I'll probably have read more of the Bible than some people xD )

3. Spunk Ransom you're already perfect

Well, God created the universe, and sent his one and only son to die for our sins. He has done alot more than that, but I believe those two are pretty big. I believe in God, and he has kept me safe, last year I was in a terrible car accident, a car came over the line and hit my car on the driver's side. My side of the car(the passenger side) began to flip, then it flipped back over and into the air on the drivers side. The car landed upright in a ditch. Believe me it was the scariest thing that ever happened to me, and I honestly do not think that I could be sitting here a year later typping this if it was not for God. I am sure He was there in that car with my mom and I and kept us safe, we had no major injuries, and for a wreck like that, it seems almost improbable. So God cares for you and keeps you safe, he listens to you when ask him for things, but he may not always give them to you because it is not part of His plan for your life. You have to know that God is there and with you at all time, and that he cares for you.

4. Amber PLUR

I have seen many miracles in my church.

My best friend can now read stuff without her glasses better than when she used glasses.

God loves us and wants to be with us. So he figured out a way to do that. He became a human, Jesus, and did the perfect act of love: dying to save us. He loves us so much that he let the very people he loved torture and kill him. All he wants is to have a personal relationship with you. He loves you very much.

5. sinister King's Apprentice

it sounds like god is truly almighty and it's hard to ignore him now. do you belive in that you will get to a better place like heaven if you die?

6. TheLightIsGone123 Gummi Ship Junkie

i truely believe that everyone every person is their own god, and they control everything that happens to them in a small and insignicant way

7. sinister King's Apprentice

in can make sense because that is what we basically are but i wonder... i don't think god needs to controll us.
    he watches over us from heaven and gives chosen people signs and stuff. i don't really know

8. Fallout Gummi Ship Junkie

God has always answered my prayers and has made them far better than I could have ever imagined.

However, many people think it will come right away, but God works these things out in His own time and makes the prayer ten times better than you could ever imagine.

God created all things. He sent his son, Jesus, to die for all of the sinners on the cross. Jesus died so that we could reach Heaven and have Salvation.

Also, when God works out my prayers, he always works them out for the best. Along the way, He teaches me about life as I',r waiting for the prayer. He teaches me patience and that from patience greatness can come. God always answers a prayer, but in a different and better way than you could ever imagine.

There are also many scientific facts supporting the creation of Earth and the spirit of God.

If you trust in him, you will have peace with the world and yourself. I'm not saying to be a 'fake' Christian: One who breaks the Commandments and just says they are a Christian and doesn't live by it. I'm saying if you truly believe in God and repent and live by his teachings, you'll find peace and salvation.

And many people ask: 'how you can worhsip a God who isn't there?' , but that is why Christians have faith. I'm willing, every day, to take a leap for God and sacrifice myself for Him.

9. Blademaster Mai'kel Hollow Bastion Committee

God doesn't just make what you want happen instantaneously; he does things when the time is right. He is always aware of you and whatever you may be going through, and he is there to help you. The simplest way to answer your question would be: "God is."

10. sinister King's Apprentice

thank you for the reply. but do you belive that you will come to a better place when you die?

11. Jayn

I believe that if you're truly a Christian and you dedicate your life to God, you'll go to Heaven when you die.
    But I also find myself questioning his existence...Like...What makes Christianity the right religion? There are so many different ones and people of other religions feel just as confident that their 'god' is the right one so...what makes God the true one? And what makes Christianity the right religion? Does it really all depend on faith? >>

I'm not denying that their may be a God and I often picture myself ending up in hell for lack of faith but...Still, I dont get it all and my dad's a minister himself. =/ I think a lot of people who say they're Christians were born into it, and dont really mean it. I see life examples of people who commit the 'seven deadly sins' over and over again and STILL say they're Christians and they're going to Heaven. It's just...Confusing.

12. Xegreny Kingdom Keeper

Well, that's a hard argument to make.

I believe in God, I was raised to. I don't think any of my prayers have ever been actually answered, but that isn't what praying is about. Most people picture praying as you asking God for something, or some kind of help. To me, praying is meant to be a time when you can truly think of the answers to your problems, and be with your own thoughts. God is not meant to be the answer, God is meant to help you find your way to that answer. Perhaps when your praying, God prods and pushes your thoughts in a certain way, to make you think of the things your looking for.

I dunno, that's what I think I guess. x_x

13. Heaven's Angel Kingdom Keeper

In truth, nobody can really say what God looks like, or what he is, but I picture him as a man... He watches over us for above... Mainly, Christains worship him because he created the earth, and he sent Jesus down to earth to guide us along the right path. When I have a problem, I pray to him, and he has yet to ignore my prayers. If it weren't for him, my life would be so much worse then it is now... I haven't read the bible that much either, and that's because in the past I wasn't as strong of a Christain as I am now. I look up to the Lord for many things, I can't name just one. But I can say that he has guided me along through my life and I'm very grateful. Because of this, as a Christain, I have chosen to do my best and live my life for God.

14. Repliku Chaser

I don't believe in God. A lot of people claim there are miracles and I have not seen any. There are bizarre things and I can say that even in my life I've escaped harrowing situations but I can always find a logical reason for it. One that involves a person, or the environment or even just good luck to have been where I was at the moment and not where someone else was standing.

I was dumb one time climbing a tree at around 7 years of age and tied a rope around my waist to ensure I wouldn't fall as I scoured up it. I climbed up the tree and then went to scaling down, and fell and was stuck hovering above the ground and could not get down. The rope was causing me to lose my breath as it was tight around my lower chest and my life was literally fading before my eyes. I called out but no one could hear me because the air was literally not getting in my lungs. My dad noticed me as everything was fading to black, and he got me down. Some would say that God did it. I say my dad saved my life. Why should I give God the credit when clearly a human did it?

I've been in car accidents and was very thankful to make it through. A friend of mine hit an old woman going to church and I got out and helped her and directed traffic. Of course, God saved her. Why? She was hit, broke her leg but we got out and helped her and then she went to the hospital where they did the rest of the work. Car insurance paid for it. So, who did the work? Humans did. I survived through years of child abuse and neglect by willpower. God never helped me when I prayed and begged to know what I did wrong and asked for it to stop. It took me to hit a person back and disrespect elders to get them to stop hurting me, and to also join the army to get away from that life and start anew. There is suffering in life but taking responsibility and planning got me out of a lot of mine. Not some deity.

After having read the Bible through a few times from page to page and also comparing history as well, it just didn't make sense to me and some of the data is inaccurate. There are many strange and wondrous things out there in life but I can't attribute them to a being, and in my opinion if there was a being, it isn't what people think it is. So, to not be offensive, to me, I just find there is no God in the sense of what has been written and also I don't believe people are born sinners etc and I just have a hard time believing that a God can be benevolent and yet omnipresent (knowing everything) and yet punish people for errors that were of that deity's responsibility in the first place. The whole begging forgiveness for sins that weren't committed by a person etc is also disturbing to me. I take responsibility for my actions and say I'm sorry and fix myself up if I do something wrong. I don't need to apologize to something beyond life, but to the people I've wronged or an animal or whatever. People have different experiences, but every natural disaster etc, I can point out scientifically why it happened and every incident that happens to me where I lucked out, sometimes I know it's just because I was standing where I was when it happened and someone else was just not so fortunate.

I also would think after all this time, if some deity did exist out there that was used in such foul ways and cared, it would have said something by now. Just my opinion and I respect others' views but just see no reason for me to believe in something extra out there supernatural when I can explain most things and what I can't, I just wait for the logical explanation to come along. I don't have to fill in a question all the time with an answer that is short and curt. I can leave the question open-ended and wait. That to me is part of the great thing about life and that it is a journey. In the end, I think that a deity that is fake to me gets too much credit for what good people can do, while good people don't get the credit. Whether a person is religious or not, I will always acknowledge the person as the one who did the thing of greatness. It just seems more just that way since people always can point out the worst but always overlook the best.

15. Blademaster Mai'kel Hollow Bastion Committee

What is the reason, Repliku, that we should obey morals and ask forgiveness from other people-like you said-when there is no punishment worth avoiding not to? Why should we obey the rules when there is no reason to? Are morals not defined by our belief in the existence of higher reasoning and punishment?

16. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

That is saying that human beings are not capable of being good without the fear of being punished for doing something wrong. I'd like to think people are better than that lol

A saying I read recently went as follows was "When people say we need religion, what they really mean is we need police" xD

Also, I read in a book (The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins) that morals can come about through evolution. Mostly to do with humans evolving through clan social structures with small groups. This then developed "rules of thumb" which is why (most of us) we are friendly to everyone we meet, as they are all human beings.

17. Repliku Chaser

Well, hear me out here. A lot of Christians ask me this, how I can be Atheist and still have morals, as do others who don't believe in God.

The reason is because I have seen suffering. I am empathic to it. I've lived it. I don't want to spread it and hurt others as I have been hurt. If someone is hurting, I feel compelled to help that person because I know it is wrong and that I would wish for help too if I were in that person's situation.

Stealing is wrong - because it harms other people and takes away from them. If I care about other people I will notice this. It doesn't take a God or outside force to tell me it is wrong. It takes a parent and environment, and perception to see how wrong it is.

Lying is wrong - This hurts people, sets people up and lies often come back and wound the person that said them in the first place. In the end, I wouldn't lie unless it's to save someone from something dire. I.e. if someone is in a burning building and I know he/she would panic, I may make up that we should go outside to go get something to eat now, so the person will leave in an orderly way and not do something dumb. Otherwise, there's no need to lie.

Cheating is wrong - I wouldn't cheat on a test because in the end, what am I learning from it. I am only injuring myself by not studying and doing what I should. I am getting by off someone else's work or just not caring. So if I cheat, I know I am hurting myself and possibly others who went all out to do things but got screwed because I decided to cheat to do better, so I scammed them of their just awards.

Cheating on a lover - I wouldn't do this because though it would hurt the person to dump her, I would certainly rather do that than go behind her back, cheat and ruin our lives and trust. Trust in any relationship to me is important and I would not want cheated on or deceived so I wouldn't do it to someone else.

These things can be taught to people at young ages. Sharing is nice and gets you more friends and compassion. Giving is pleasant to do and who knows...that may come back to you later that someone will help you out of the kindness of his/her heart. In the end, there just isn't a reason beyond being a good person to be a good person. If I help someone, it is genuine. I'm not going to put a Bible in the person's hand for service to the community or helping victims out of scenarios. I try to help people all the time and don't expect a thank you, though getting one is very nice. Why? Because I believe that humans have a choice to be good or bad, creative or destructive, and that power is in our hands. I choose to be the best person I can rather than being a despot. We humans have A LOT of power to make great changes and all and too many people are taught to leave things in some deity's hands instead of their own. If I error, I know it is my fault. It's not a sin. It's a screw up I need to get on and fix and apologize to real things in front of me. Apologizing to God won't make Dan forgive me for kicking him in the shin because I hated his joke. Apologizing to Dan will.

That is why I say that we can as people have morals ourselves without an outside force. All it takes is to care and raise our children to care and love instead of hate. Also, to take responsibilities for their own actions instead of passing it off as we are just born sinners. Instead, I see we are born with flaws and we have a life journey ahead of us to make ourselves to who we want to be. If we are seen as more responsible, there is also the law which we abide by for people that don't have enough benevolence. It is not a good thing to go steal because you can go to jail and owe for the item. Countless Christians cheat on spouses etc so obviously God alone doesn't work. You need structure and law to design what society itself wants of each of us so we can live together. So, when people do wrong, that's what court is for, jail time, community service, rehabilitation etc and warnings are for.

I hope that makes sense to you. It's hard to explain it all but many people live this way and do fine and there's no hidden reason why they need to be good. They just do as well as they can because they simply want to and its advantageous to do so and makes life a lot happier for one person and others around. I don't believe in living in fear of God or anyone. I did that for my early life and would rather not repeat it. So I live instead to be a content person and do what I feel is right.

So, out of curiosity, is it just God that makes you do good? Is there another reason like perhaps you just want to help others and yourself to lead a positive life?

18. Inasuma "pumpkin"

Like repliku said, that gets asked a lot. I know you didn't ask me but I feel like answering this. The answer is, is that you don't need religion to be moral. Just doing them because you think it's good is reason enough. If I see a person dying I don't tell them to ask Jesus for forgiveness so I feel better about myself. Instead I call a hospital and waste as little time as possible. Now, that probably would never happen, in fact that's a more extreme example. But you know what I mean.

And why should you obey rules when there isn't a reason? It's simple. You don't have to. But it's the commonality of the situations and interactions you experience that will ultimately lead you to extrapolate a simple reason to do something "moral." Plain and simply, if people were educated and knew what they were doing they wouldn't just "no obey the rules." I often find that the people who say "if there isn't a reason then who cares," are the ones who, from the start, just never had incentive to learn or care. But that's a state of mind that can change, as we all have the same capacity to do that, imo.

So do you have to have religion to be moral? No, you don't have to. Does it help? Of course it does. That's almost exactly what it's there to do. Keep people "in line," and "under control." But I personally don't believe in any kind of deity but I lead a totally healthy life style that's disciplined. I feel I don't need God.

But what I do believe is that we all have personal power to control who we are and what we do, and that personal power is what is taken away from people by religion. Religion is necessarily bad, but it reduces your personal power and responsibility as a human in order to conform to a system. The system or culture that the place you live in requires. In all respect, of course.

19. len Gummi Ship Junkie

god is the creater of all living things in this whole universe he simply made the 7 skys in
    6 days he only created us to believe and worship him

ok now things are going to get complicated i don't think most of you would understand with the way i
    describe it ok i will clear somethings up here so you can understand me here :3

1- there are two lives the living life (before you die) , and the after life

god says that the liveing life is just a huge test and at the end each of us will be judged by the things we've
    done in the living life i'll give you some exampels here
    1-if we had been praying
    2-if we have been feeding the poor etc...

okay i should stop writing to much and get to the point

god is the creator of everything have you guys ever wondered who is the creator ,

stuff can't exist out of nothing they were created by someone...
    and that someone is god the creator of all ,and i heard some rumors that they said that

jesus is the son of god and sadley i have to report that the rumore isn't true because that,

god was not created
    he doesn't have sons

but there is a possiblty that jesus might be alive his soul never died god took it up before they stabbed
    him or whatever and at the end of the world he would be sent back here to kill those who didn't believe

god makes miracles and take them away or he would kill someone dear for you
    to just test you're patients

now is why i believe in god

same thing as above

i know none of this makes sense but please don't de-rep me

this has no offense to anyone here if you feel offended by something i might have said or anything i'll give you my sensier apologies

and i know this is a complete mess :unsure:

20. Blademaster Mai'kel Hollow Bastion Committee

Who-or what-defines morals? Where do morals come from? What is inside us that makes us respect these morals? Don't you ever wonder why they exist?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.