Universal Language?

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by Zandyne, Jun 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zandyne King's Apprentice

There are many langauges in the world as you probably already know. And being on this site we see a rather high demand for things to be translated, so this should be an interesting topic of discussion/debate.

If you had the ability to change the language of the world, would you do it? Should we have a universal language, a universal understanding, or should we preserve our spoken culture? Or is there another alternative? And how would it be done?

Make your statement here.

2. HOSPITAL STAT! i knock tits

We already have a Universal Language: it's MONEY!

I mean..

English. :D

I heard this some time ago on the news, but more and more schools in different non-anglo countries are making 'Learning English' a compulsory subject. It's what people use to communicate with nowadays, and it's important that everyone should know a bit of it.

Also take the example of Modern Graphic Design that's meant to communicate information visually. Most of the text used in this case, be it in ANY country, is in - a lot of the time - english, or have some sort of english phrase in it.

3. Gravity Chaser

No, I don't think we should have a universal language. Languages often help us tell cultures apart, and I think we should keep it that way as a way of preserving the already-dying cultures of the world.

(For an example of the above comment, my sister is unable to tell people of different asian nationalities apart until she hears them speak.)

4. Hissora ahurhurhur.

Well, there sorta IS an universal language, Math. Although it's not a way to COMMUNICATE it's the same EVERYWHERE. Makes sense, neh?

But if there was a universal language, I think it'd be sign language because everything it the same, and people speak it all around the world, just not everyone.

Or it could be English.

5. Catch the Rain As the world falls down ♥

Whilst it's true that the English Language is becoming more universal, I don't think I want a universal language ^^ I think language is one of the things that helps protect our cultural identity! Why should people have to give that up? We pretty much manage to find ways to interact and communicate now and I like the diversity across nations and races.

Plus I like learning when I talk to other people, picking up parts of their languages in an exchange through conversation! ^^ Keep it as it is! :D

IMO

6. EvilMan_89 Code Master

i think it's a good idea. it'll make things much more simplified. but it'll never happen :(

7. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

I think that people should keep their individual native languages, certainly. It's what keeps live lively and interesting. But I also think that a secondary universal language would be essential to ensure that everyone can understand each other.

Sure we already have music, science and maths. They are pretty much universal.

8. White_Rook Looser than a wizard's sleeve.

A universal language, like something that will seriously be taught to all children in school so as to communicate with other cultures without having to learn a hundred different languages would better unite the people of this world. Either that or we should develop universal translators.

9. Soushirei 運命の欠片

10. Roxas OG

Closed for being a duplicate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.