True or false: Most Gamers are athiests

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Cin, Nov 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cin Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp

In my opinion MOST gamers are athiests. Out of the 100+ people I know who play videogames, only about 10-15 have a religion. This may be just me, but I've come to the conclusion that most gamers are indeed athiests, or at least Agnostics.

I beleive this is true because of the videogames themselves. They are seperate and individual realites, virtual or not, play a lot of videogames may be confusing our perspective on real life. With all the different demensions and realities gamers go through everyday, how can we define our own?

Most gamers find that god is not the answer, because in a majority of videogames there is no god, and they find that the people there get along just fine. Or, in games like FFX, the religion of the planet is evil, or just plain wrong.

I am an athiest, and I beleive it's because of the videogames that I am. After all the different things that I've seen and played or "lived" if you want to call it, I find it hard to beleive that a god could even exist.

What do you guys think?

2. Rena88 Twilight Town Denizen

i'm actually a christian. and i disagree with videogames causing people to be atheists. they may encourage the belief of there not being any God but remember, these are manmade products. believing in a videogame jes because it "makes sense" pulls you into a false sense of security. i cant tell you what you believe or why (jes like a videogame) but thats jes what i think.

3. twilightsown King's Apprentice

I accept others beliefs, but Myself, I am a Christian. Not sure what specifically, but definitly Christian.
    For me at least, it comes down to seperating reality from fiction. I am a video game fanatic, but I don't take what I see there as truth, nor do I allow it to skew my opinion. Gaming for me is merely an escape, not a truth. Something fun, but not something to base a life off of.
    Just my 2 cents.
    *Hi-Fives Rena*

4. Zexion of the Twilight The conflicts within my priorities....

Well, what's an atheist? That little bit of information would help.

5. twilightsown King's Apprentice

An aeteist is someone who doesn't believe in any form of a greater being, aka God.

6. Zexion of the Twilight The conflicts within my priorities....

that theory is crap, there has GOT to be a Grand Design planned out for the fate of the universe, otherwise, what's the point of life at all?

7. Cin Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp

The meaning of life is to live and die. That is what athiest's beleive. But we're getting off subject.

Do you think it's true that a majority of gamers are athiests? Or not?

8. Zexion of the Twilight The conflicts within my priorities....

I dunno, considering most gamers don't have lives, probably yes.

9. hahannuh Gummi Ship Junkie

well i'm christian. i don't think that playing video games is part of the reason that people are atheists. i mean it's just video games and i don't think that people will believe their ideas based on what video games have taught them. what i'm saying is that people will be atheists and people will be religious but video games do not play a part of that division.

10. Claryssa Destiny Islands Resident

Actually, most of the gamers I know are non-denominational Christians. And I, like most others here believe that playing video games has nothing to do with religion.

I definately have to agree with twilightsown on this. Gaming is not a truth.

11. Zexion of the Twilight The conflicts within my priorities....

Yes, games are not the truth, unless it's a quiz. THEN it's the truth.

12. Cin Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp

I'm not saying games are truth.

I'm saying that most if not all of us are teenagers, our brains are still developing and the games that we play can have an influence on our perspectives on real life, wether we realize it or not. We need to look at things like this on a subconious level.

13. Darkandroid Gets it Together

Like Cin said most gamers are teenagers, our minds are always changing we are unsure of many things, for some that thing can be religion, religion is becoming less important in our every day comes when compared to hundreds and years ago, and science and got to do with that, with theories of life and question which religion has claimed to be the answer.

I myself am not sure what the hell i am, i'm not sure if i'm a athiest or religious, and i bet alot of teenagers feel the same way, and to most it's not important, they would rather worry about social lifes and education. Gaming may have a slight influence, since in games in a sense you are god, you are controlling other lives.

14. Big C Destiny Islands Resident

I see no reason for video games to influence your religious opinions. If you decide to be an athiest because there is no God in Tetris, then, and I'm sorry if this offends anybody, you are an idiot.

15. Rawr King's Apprentice

right on big c, chirtian all the way but somethings i have dout

16. Inasuma "pumpkin"

Now, I'm not being mean, but games can't determine your personal belief's. Games are digital creations that ARE or WERE made up in the back of someone's head, except for the movie games, etc.

I'm Agnostic, and no, I'm not a hypocrite; I have been studying so much about religion and about our world, as well as the evolution and big-bang theory, etc., that my religious standing point is quite scattered. Games had no influence on this what-so-ever.

I'm a very logical person, as well as aware; to not to let games and other things, like movies for example, interfere with my thoughts.

Some of the idea's and concepts in games are quite amazing, yes, and it would be cool to have them, but they aren't, and games are mostly lies on a disc. UNLESS, like I said, it is a movie game, or something copying/replicating, or reproducing an idea already brought up in our past.

17. no-reality_allowed ¢ℓαιяνσуαηт ℓσνєкιℓℓ

damn good topic cin:cool:

im on both sides.......

but i have to lean on cin's side cause it is true that games affect how our brain develops, im a perfectly good example of that.....im so ****ed in the head you wouldnt last 2 seconds in there.............and games have changed my perspective on my life greatly........and yes im an athiest but games have not turned me into one........thats where i disagree with anyone who says so......though my perspective on the meaning of life is to live life to the fullest, but survive as long as possible, and yes eventually die.......(WoOt wOoT cant wait, eternal damnation here i come ^-^)

and now that i notice it most of my friends who play games are athiests too.......but there are some agnostics in there too:D

like bigC said your an idiot if you say your an athiest cause there's no god in tetris xD
    im still laughing for reading that xD

18. 2Foxxie4U ~The Forgotten Crusader...~

I dunno! XD

I'm a Christian and I get addicted to games like a bee gets addicted to honey! And so are 3 of my cousins, my sister and... a whole bunch of other people I know I'm forgetting! But, hey, I don't know everything... so yeah.

BUT, if more athiests play video games than religious folk, I don't think it has ANYTHING to do with the fact that they play video games. XDDDD

19. Pure Beats~ Chaser

twilightsown, you are so right. I too am a Christian and i play video games and i know at 30 other Christians who play KH and FF and they believe that vid games are not what your supposed to base your life on, but they can help throught stress in school, but God is always the true answer.

20. twilightsown King's Apprentice

*Hi-fives KHchick and gives cookie*
    Anyways. I think that people who believe that aetheists are the only ones who play video games are in a community with few religious and vice versa. Pretty much every christian I know plays video games, and many of them get as into it as those who aren't religious. It's all your culture around you. The only way to solve this dillema would be to poll all the kids in the world to know for sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.