The GameCube controller...WTF?!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by KnightReaper, Apr 3, 2008.

1. KnightReaper Traverse Town Homebody

Well, my friends came over yesterday so we could brawl. They wanted to use the classic and wii controllers, so I ended up using a GC controller. I haven't touched it ever since I got my wii(about a year and a half) so it was awkward when I picked it up. First of all: the design of the controller. When I first used it for my GC it didn't mind me because it just seemed like another controller to me. But picking it up now seems so awkward since EVERY button is a different shape and size. The Z button is probably the most odd-placed because they didn't even equal it out on the left side which feels weird. I also own a 360 and renting a PS3 from my cousin, so it has a less creepy feel when using them. The gamecube controller has to be the most awkward out of each controller I own, and as Master Chief puts it: "It's like f**king legos."

2. Dredica SNES was the best.

I like the Game cube controller. Try using the anolog stick for the 64, god dude.

3. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

1. It's a controller where you need to practice with the buttons a bit. And it was perfect for games like Melee, Metroid Prime(true god of FPS's) and RE4.

2. The 64 controller was SOOOOOOOOOOOO much worse.

3. Don't hate the system, hate the person who is like every person who can't do something as well after not doing it for a long time.

4. Dredica SNES was the best.

Yeah, melee is fun with that controller.

5. KnightReaper Traverse Town Homebody

As I stated, "The gamecube controller has to be the most awkward out of each controller I own." I don't own any console earlier than the PS1. I don't hate the system by the way, I didn't even say a bad thing about the system in this thread. Yes, I understand I'm not great at the gamecube controller.

6. Arch Mana Knight

I've seen a lot of controllers...I hate the gamecube and N64 controllers the most (NES was VERY uncomfortable from what I've heard)...the GC controller is...decent at best, but I would avoid using it in a shooting game. I think the Xbox(360)'s controller was partially based off of the PS2 controller because they feel similar to me. Although I say the PS2/PS3 controllers are the most comfortable of them all (go Dualshock 3 yay)...

7. Shadow Banned

Wiimote + Wiimote condom = Comfy.

8. TheMuffinMan Banned

The Gamecube controller is probably the most comfortable and ergonomically designed controller...(next to the Z button placement, FFS).

The triggers are curved specifically to the shape of human index fingers, the other 3 fingers rest comfortably on the plastic (also molded to fit your fingers in this position), with the shoulder buttons being spring loaded and completely pressure sensitive.

The button placement is designed around where Gamers typically rest their thumbs: on the main button (in this case, the A button), which from there any other button presses typically are just removing the thumb from the A to the other buttons, before returning there. So naturally, the A button is the largest and easiest to press, and all other buttons are placed in a circle around it for access.

IN terms of similarity, the Xbox controller was most based off of the Dreamcast controller.

9. White_Rook Looser than a wizard's sleeve.

Beats Intellivision and Collecovision controllers any day of the week.

10. Hitokiri Shinigami Shinta The Demon Slayer

I ALWAYS use the Gamecube controller for brawl.

I can't imagine doing it any other way.

11. DarknessKingdom The Kingpin of the TV

Maybe, KnightReaper, you just suck :P

Sorry, that was uncalled for. But seriously, why don't you in future just use the Wii remote instead of the Gamecube controller? It's obvious that playing with such a foreign and alien controller makes you feel comfortable.

12. Radiowave ITSA PIIINCH

yeah, I agree, its the weirdest controller, and it can be annoying sometimes. Its also the ugliest...
    then i remember:
    function over fashion. I happen to be as good at gamecube games like I am with ps2 and 360 ones, so I dont really mind now...maybe the makers of the Wii sensed the "weirdness" in the controller and thats why they completely remade them...

13. Xegreny Kingdom Keeper

You must realize your calling a controller less akward than a motion sensing stick. :\

The GC Controller might be oddly shaped, and kind of odd to hold, but, IMO it has the best button placement out any controller of that generation. (PS3, Wii, and 360 dont count. /ok) The shoulder buttons are right where your finger is, and all the buttons you will use, (A, B, Z, Y) are all in one spot. Not spread out like other stuff. D:

14. oldman106 Gummi Ship Junkie

lol, this happens to me all the time.. I'm always plain' ps2, and than I play the GC, my brain goes "THIS IS NOT RIGHT!!!" *.*

15. Kaihedgie Gummi Ship Junkie

Gamecube controller is epic

End of story. XP