Swine Flu Shot.. Y/N?

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by Peyton, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Peyton Goddess Of Love ♥

So, a lot of people are taking the swine flu shot these days. And I know it's clinically tested etc but it isn't possible to have tested the long term effects yet, we still have no idea what kind of side effects it might give in a year or more. Should people still take it? or is it smarter to let someone who's willing to test it for a longer amount of time first. + the shot hurts like heck I've heard.

I am absolutely sure someone is going to comment and say "blahblahbalh people are dying it's better to take it." The Tamiflu pills work just as good, even when you're already been infected. I can understand why risk-groups(like diabetics or people with a lowered immune system) take the shot because they really have no choice, the pills doesn't work fast enough or secure enough for them. But "normal" people with an immune system that is up and running, why take the risk? I know the pills aren't tried out either, but they're in smaller dosages and have been tried out for a longer amount of time.

Also, a lot of people fight the swine flu without medication. So shot, yes or no? why?

2. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

Swine flu deaths are rare. The thing behaves basically like a regular flu on steroids, or so I've heard. Plus, its spread can be prevented just like anything else. A cautious person with a functional immune system would probably be best off riding it out than taking the shot. It's just the scare of the year, it'll pass soon enough.

...Of course, I could be biased. My immune system is like the friggin' 300 Spartans.

3. MadDoctorMaddie I'm a doctor, not a custom title!

xD

So yeah, I just got it today. It seems safe enough, most of the people I know took/are going to take it and recommended it.
    The after-effects can be rather bothersome, my entire left side is currently numb and burning, but that's supposed to go away in a couple days.
    But if you don't hear of me for over a week, the shot probably killed me xDx

4. Peyton Goddess Of Love ♥

Swine flu deaths are rare, now. But you don't know what effects the shot might cause in an extended time period, or if any side affects will show up after that time. It's not even been a year since the flu came. That's the entire point of the thread, is it worth taking it knowing that it haven't been tested for a longer period of time when you can take pills that are in smaller dosages and tested for a longer period of time, or handle it on your own?
    Again, it seems safe now. you don't really know what it may cause in a year, I'm not trying to make you go paranoid or anything, but it's important that people think this through. Also, people have different diseases or allergies or something special about them, what if the shot were to react to any of that, surely it haven't been tested how EVERYTHING (not that it is possible, but not even a vast area can be tested in this little amount of time) reacts.
    Also, what made you take the desicion to get the shot? Did you consider taking the Tamiflu pills instead? (if you have gotten the flu)

5. Always Dance Chaser

I refuse to get it, even though my school offers it for free.
    There hasn't been any testing on the long-term effects, and swine flu isn't even a big enough deal to risk it for. I wouldn't get it.

6. MadDoctorMaddie I'm a doctor, not a custom title!

Eh, I'm aware of the risks, and I did think this through, it took me over a month to make the decision. I actually chickened out of taking it a couple times.
    I'm not sure, I just gave into peer pressure I suppose xDx Like I said, everyone around me was getting it or thinking of getting it, so it seemed like a sensible decision.
    I took the shot as a precautionary measure, you can only get the Tamiflu pills on a prescription, and doctors weren't recommending it either.
    Is the same shot being distributed all around the world, or did each country/area create their own one?

7. leon47 Traverse Town Homebody

I have not got mine yet but I dont plan to after all it is new so there is no telling what could happen due to side effects thats just my oppinion so Im not taking it

8. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

I simply despise the casual use of any vaccination or medication on someone who has an average immune system. I've got an average or maybe an above average immune system. I barely get ill, and I don't see the point in taking anything extra when my body does fine by itself.
    People at my school take pills for any headache, pain in their side no matter how small, it's just not funny (public healthcare is almost hellish).

All the side effects pretty much tell you that no man made vacination is ever perfectly safe to take.

I feel the same way about Swine Flu,. a minor threat illness (if you ask me) that's basically allowed pharmacies to market a cure. I'm not going to take it, several people or their families in my school have had the flu, all recovered in a week or so, with barely any spreading. As far as I know, no-one in the local area has experienced long-term negative effects or has died.

I would just say, chill with the taking of drugs. Try to take them as little as possible, if you can

9. Luna Lovegood nani panda-kun

I think a lot of people are making it seem like a bigger deal than it really is. Both the shots and the flu itself. I got the shot about a month and a half ago, there was a girl in the same residence building as my sister. The girl died of the flu. She had no underlying illness, and was active and healthy.

I had no side effects whatsoever, except for my left shoulder hurting because it had a sharp needle go through the muscle. : P

Scientists are pretty confident that there will be no long term effects because the vaccination is based off the regular flu shot vaccination. Of course, some people will get side effects, as with the regular flu shot. I would rather get the shot than risk getting the flu.

10. kitty_mckechnie I want to hug you like big fuzzy Siberian bear!

I think the swine flu vaccination should only be given to those who are most at risk. There is no guarantee that the the shot will work to prevent swine flu indefinitely since the strain mutates over time, like any flu, but it may help those weakest combat it. It shouldn't be given to large numbers of the population since it may eventually develop an immunity to the shot which would render it useless. Well, either way, the shot is only a short term solution. Most folk that have caught it have waited it out and recovered fine. It's not nice, but it generally works.

11. Inasuma "pumpkin"

**** that ****. I would never ever put my health at risk for a vaccine.

>:

But seriously, I have no desire or need to get it. I'm pretty healthy and I'm pretty sure if I got it I would be able to manage the symptoms and get better at some point.

12. NarutoSuperKubii Chaser

Actually it doesn't hurt at all.

I took the flu shot like 2 months ago and I had no after effects yet.

But if you take it or not thats your choice.

13. MadDoctorMaddie I'm a doctor, not a custom title!

So, an update on the side-effects: I'm one of those that got it pretty bad. I woke up with a fever, and when I got up, I got really, really dizzy, and I probably would've fainted if I hadn't sat down. Also, I probably would've lost my breakfast, if I had eaten it.
    Still, despite feeling like crap now, I'm not regretting it. My immune system is quite weak (seriously, I get the flu almost monthly) and I've got some breathing problems thanks to my allergies.

I got the impression that everyone under 24 yo belong to the risk group. At least that's what health officials/teachers/media have been telling me.

14. kitty_mckechnie I want to hug you like big fuzzy Siberian bear!

24? No. Those most at risk are infants, the elderly and those with underlying health problems.

The only one in my family that has taken the shot is my mum, and that's only because she works in a hospital. She was fairly reluctant to take it but decided to take it because she has had several patients enter the ward with swine flu. She doesn't want us taking it since you'll recover after a week.

15. *dancewaterdance* King's Apprentice

I'm not sure what exactly people are worried about. If it's about general side effects, any vaccine has the potential to cause severe problems. You might as well not get vaccinated for anything. (Somehow, I'm getting a feeling there's going to be someone who doesn't see a problem with that...) If it's specifically about something like Guillain-Barré, then you're actually more likely to get it from the flu than the vaccine. In any case, I highly doubt you are more at risk from the vaccine than from SF.

Just my two cents.

From SF? Not that I've ever heard of. From what I've seen the swine flu knocks you out for about two weeks (I was out for over three, but then again I have asthma) and leaves you fairly fatigued a few days after.

16. Sabby Sleepy Panda Assassin

I had to get mine because I was moved up into the Priority group because I had a heart murmur. Well the day I got it, I just felt tired and then the next day I got a fever and really dizzy. Plus, what I heard was that my immune system was very low soo that might have some effect. The side effects happened for a day but my arm hurt like a ***** for a week.

17. The Twin My, what a strange duet

I got one a week and a half ago, since my college was giving them out for free, and everyone else in my family had been vaccinated without side effects.

Of course, I'm the only one that got it up the nose. THAT was an experience in and of itself. But I've felt fine since then, and usually I get sick after getting a seasonal flu shot. Worst I had was my nose dried out for a couple days.

18. Amethyst Grave Hollow Bastion Committee

Don't see any real point in it tbh.. unless you have underlying health issues or are really young/old (i.e. at risk of getting the flu and it turning ugly)

From what I've heard.. Swine flu's actually weaker than normal flu, it just spreads faster..

19. The Twin My, what a strange duet

That's excatly why they're pushing people to get vaccinated...most of the cases we see on the news about people dying from it had an underlying health condition.

It's been two months since I got swine squirted up my nose, and I'm fine.

20. Trussy1000 Destiny Islands Resident

hmm interesting point. True we don't know what side effects it may have in the future, and just like when I have the flu jab sometimes it makes me catch it, it may do the same I don't know.

But swine flu usually only kills those with health problems or the elderly. My fiance had it and I got quarantined with her. Though I didn't catch it (possible immunity not sure).

I suppose all we can do is wait and see, unfortunately...