My thoughts on Sora and Kairi

Discussion in 'General & Upcoming Kingdom Hearts' started by Gritz, Jun 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gritz Traverse Town Homebody

Ok, If this is taking up space and is spam, I apologize in advance and the Mods can remove it.

I liked KH1 and 2 very much and enjoy them. But I have some gripes about the personalities of two of the main characters

Sora: I like the guy, but he acts like he's 4 too much. And not in a funny way. In a irritating and annoying way. He doesn't act like a fifteen year old. He acts too optimistic. Now, I'm not saying that Optimism is bad for a character. I love Optimism. But in his character, it just seems like he ain't real, which he ain't, in a literal sense. But, his character doesn't seem real. He seems too optimistic all the time and kinda dumb. I mean, he makes Naruto look like Shikamaru(Not knocking Uzumaki-san, I love him). Maybe, it was Haley's voice that ruined him for me. I have never heard Japanese Sora, nor do I know what he says in his version of the game. Is Jap Sora's personality different from English Sora? I've always wanted Sora to act like Yusuke from YYH and Ichigo from Bleach. They weren't complete emos, but they felt real and human. And they were FAR from goody two shoes. Especially Yusuke.

Kairi: Now, I like Kai as well. She's hot! But, I think that's pretty much all Square and Disney made her. Sure, she's a princess of heart, but DAMN. As a Square character, I'm sure she should have had some depth. But, no. She's a Canon Sue. She is always sweet, polite, wholesome, and positive. Nothing seems to break her. Nothing makes her wanna react in a human emotion. Like I said, she's a disney princess, so She was doomed to be a damsal in distress. And, no, That keyblade moment was not enough. Her keyblade looks stupid. Its all girly and crap. I hate it.

Sorry if this bores you. Tell me your thoughts on it.

2. Gravity Chaser

I agree with you all the way. Sora is extremely naiive and oversensitive, and Kairi is just flat-out personality-less.

Don't kill me....-.-

3. Gritz Traverse Town Homebody

No, I will spare you. LOL

I would have liked it if she acted like Nami from One Piece. Hmm...A munny loving, manipulative, and smart princess. Not a total *****, but still. That would be a Kairi I would like.

But, NOOOO...Disney had to put the Damsal in Distress curse on her.

4. Twilight_Wish Destiny Islands Resident

I agree completely.

Kairi drives me insane with her damsel in distress-ness and her perfect personality. I didn't really like the decision of her getting a keyblade either.

Sora...is just naive and clueless. That's all I'm gonna say...

5. Xejicka Twilight Town Denizen

This is why Riku and Axel have so many fangirls. They act human, they have flaws and it's obvious and yet they still live o. I would love to see Kairi get angry and kill a thousand heartless and still be angry. That would make up for her damsel in distress. If Sora actually had anger, that would be sweet too, but he basically gave it to Roxas.

6. RanChan Merlin's Housekeeper

Two words:

THANK. YOU.

(.... But Sora is still, and forever will be, my favorite character. >> *shot*)

7. Chad Thundercucc The dharma of valvu; the dream of a clatoris

O.O lol xD I like your style. I mean making a Naruto compairasin is genius! XD Though Kairi does have a bit of emotion, like when Axel said to for her to come with him, she was like "Fack you!" But I like your rants. They are genius.

8. Gritz Traverse Town Homebody

Thanks. But Naruto's personality is more real than Sora's, plus, he's actually funny as hell(The scene where he met Ero Sennin was hilarious in the manga).

But, Is Japanese Sora any different? Or is he the same?

9. Xejicka Twilight Town Denizen

Japanese Sora is a little angrier, just a little. He's like What the Hell is wring with you people?! in CoM.

10. Gritz Traverse Town Homebody

Well, at least it's some type of real anger. English Sora sounds fake when he's trying to be angry.

11. Paopu Destiny Islands Resident

I don't have much to say in Sora's defense, but Kairi has to be a bit "Mary Sue". After all she was one of the seven princess of heart; that means she needs to be pure. It might make her a bit boring to some but don't most stories have that type of character anyway? Yeah her keyblade was girly, cliche but hello... she's a girl. Had she had a different personality and didn't always wear pink they might have given her a different keyblade.

12. Gravity Chaser

Kairi is extremely Mary Sue...she just keeps getting power after power, importance after importance, and no real personality base.

13. Gritz Traverse Town Homebody

Maybe so, but it couldn't hurt the game at all to give her some personality or flaws. She's a square character, there is no reason she should be like this. As for her "keyblade", It was pure laziness that she GOT a keyblade on Noruma and Square's part. And If she was to get a keyblade, then why couldn't it look like this.

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/45719520/

14. Paopu Destiny Islands Resident

She has a personality, everyone does, it's not possible to have no personality. Her personality is extremely Mary Sue. :) As far as the story goes it's the type of personality she has to have. How much do we really expect her to change between KHI and KHII? KHIII (aka: KH: Different Title) might pull out a different side of Kairi.
    A lot of people were complaining that she has no real importance in KHII but she does have important, she's one of the reasons Sora keeps fighting right? She brought Riku to Sora. Plus, we're also focusing on Roxas, Namine and the Organization so there's already a lot going on, not as much room for development as in the first game.

15. Gritz Traverse Town Homebody

She's one of the reasons Sora keeps fighting. That's why she is not very liked. All she pretty much is is Sora's motivation. She has no personality in the fact that she is just bland. She's boring. She has nothing about her that gets you into her. Sure, fans say she showed depth when she cried at the end of KH1, but it's not enough depth to care about her as she is in KH1 and 2. Alot of characters in KH have a crapload more depth than she does. She was only really needed to progress the story. She was a big plot device. That was her entire role.

16. Tootsie coquí

I agree with you with Sora,hes way childish for his age...I thought "Maybe he'll change in Kingdom Hearts II"but I was wrong,no many fans were wrong and they made his personality change worse..

17. Gritz Traverse Town Homebody

When I first heard of KH2, I was promised a more mature Sora.

18. esakrreh Destiny Islands Resident

I agree completely with what you're saying. Japanese Sora is different. My little hope for America that's left was even more diminished when I saw the changes. In the Japanese version of Kh2, Axel catches on fire after his kamikaze attack, but in the American one, they figured it was too dark. In addition, they thought that Sora saying: "I'll kill you!" to Saix was too dark as well, and so they changed it to the unbearably lame: "You rotten!". As I've said before, he doesn't have to be Master Chief, he doesn't have to be Vincent Valentine, but can he be just a little more human and not optimistic all the time?

CoM Sora is much, much better. I'm not even sure he likes Kairi all that much with how optimistic and carefree he is in KH1 and 2, in CoM, he is actually very concerned for Namine, and is pissed at Donald and Goofy when they're scolding him for not being unbearably optimistic.

Kairi is a very thin and pretty useless character. I hope that there's a conflict and that their relationship doesn't fly. That way Sora can be a little more real. He's probably going to be 16 in the next one. I hope Nomura is smart enough to at least change his character a bit, and make him like he was in Chain of Memories.

19. John Clay Rice Hollow Bastion Committee

20. Xejicka Twilight Town Denizen

I hate Jack Thompson, if it weren't for him, then maybe Sora could be better and actually curse!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.