Maid/Butler/Personal Cleaner

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by tSG1, Sep 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tSG1 Chaser

Do you or do you not believe in them?

People generally in higher class countries (USA, England) generally don't employ maids/Butlers/Personal Cleaners because they're too poor/don't need them

I live in a sorta poor country so maids are cheap.

Do you or do you not believe in personal maids/butler/cleaner/workers?

2. Jayn

Personally, I don't really like the idea of hiring someone else to do what I'm perfectly capable of doing myself.
    But for those who actually need one, I don't see much wrong with it.

3. DemyxPlaysMySitar Twilight Town Denizen

...I have one, LOL.
    Only because i'm at school, and my dad is working during the day, so there's no one to do it.
    It is pretty expensive though D:

4. kaseykockroach Hollow Bastion Committee

No, I don't believe in them. They're just a figment of our imaginations. :D
    Seriously though, I see nothing wrong with it. It's not like SLAVERY, if anything. I recall my math teacher quitting her job to become a maid, so it obviously isn't that bad of a job.

5. Always Dance Chaser

I don't see how anything can be wrong with this.
    You pay for cars so you don't have to walk.
    You send your kids to school so you don't have to teach them things yourselves.
    You pay money at restaurants so you dont have to cook food.
    How could it be wrong to pay someone to clean stuff you dont want to clean?

6. AmericanSephiroth Traverse Town Homebody

Loveless Ave. missing the point of it all
    if you have the money i say go for it. if you dont then do it yourself.

7. Captain Hero Hollow Bastion Committee

Some people just need a job. Granted, we are fully capable of doing their job ourselves, it's more of a time issue than a money issue sometimes. That's usually why they're not cheap. Plus, in some instances, people hire maids because there is no maternal figure in the house and the maid can act as one. Not 100% of the time, but it happens.

8. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

You wouldn't be thinking of an old sitcom about a British man who hired a nasally-voiced maid and fell in love now, would you??​

And I personally see nothing wrong with it. If they need a job, you employ them, then alright. As long as they're paid fairly. I know some people probably think they shouldn't have to pay them much since they can do it themselves, but the thing is: they don't.

9. krayzie Ruthless Villain

of course
    they are regular people who chose that as a career path

10. Rayku Kingdom Keeper

The Nanny...I loved that show.

I dont really see why it being a such a big deal, If you dont have enough time around the house to clean or away most of the time from your children, then sure, why not?

11. Repliku Chaser

I don't see anything particularly wrong with people hiring someone to come in and clean their place. Some people really do lead busy lifestyles and all so having someone do that, because they make the money to pay them anyway, reduces their stress and lets those people do some other things. I've never had the luxury (because that's what it is) of having someone do that and never cared to do it myself since I've never been in such a position to merit bothering with it, but it's cool if some people do. I'd just of course hope that the house cleaner is getting what the person is worth and can support him/herself.

12. Styx That's me inside your head.

Some people just haven't got the time to do household chores themselves.

13. ♥AL90♥ Hollow Bastion Committee

Why is it about where I live? Where do you live?
    My mom used to hire a personal cleaner because she had to look after me my little sis and my older sis.

I believe if you are too busy you should hire a maid (especially when nurses make house calls and check the surroundings of your home for sterile environment)

14. The Twin My, what a strange duet

I personally see nothing wrong with it. You pay people to cook for you when you go to a restaurant, why not do the same for someone cleaning your house? And it's a job, which as everyone knows these days jobs are precious things to come by.

Slightly off-topic, but there was this one girl in my dorm last year who hired a maid every time we had health and safety inspections to clean her room for her while she went out shopping. I mean, really? The rooms were about the size of a half-bathroom. Surely she could've cleaned it herself.

15. childofturin Why?

We used to hire one once a year to basically do a deep-cleaning of the house, since us kids are bad at it, but that was before my mom had 2 kids to put through college at the same time. I would personally love to hire a full-time maid for the house, since it would free up so much time for the rest of us, but it's just too darn expensive.

16. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

It's good stable job. It usually consists of a few hours work, around average pay. It's a great second job if you need a bit extra money.

I see it as more of a benefit for the people employed and not the employers. Cleaning and serving someones needs is usually a simple job without great risk. It has lead to amny people gain wealthy friends that my be able to promote them to another higher-paid job, published music, books, etc.
    I mean it's not one of the most respected jobs, but its a job none the less.

17. Emzy ♥ Gummi Ship Junkie

If the cleaners are willing to work for the pay, then heck, why not? It isn't exactly slavery.

18. Inasuma "pumpkin"

Well sometimes middle class folks don't have time to do it. Between kids, full time jobs and hobbies, sometimes you can't afford to clean while your kids sit there doing nothing. :l

While I lived with my dad when I was little, he had this really nice woman clean our house. And yes, she was Mexican. But her family would come over often and eat with us anyway since they were really nice. She was paid fairly well too if I can recall.

19. Ah eff. Traverse Town Homebody

I don't see what is wrong with hiring a person to clean your home for you. If they need the money it is good that the person has work, as long as one doesn't treat them as inferior just because they clean for a living.

20. Smackdoodle McGiggles Hollow Bastion Committee

its also bad when they "accidentally vacuum up your parent's earring/necklace after knocking it off the table" i dont trust them....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.