Kingdom Hearts: Joint ownership?

Discussion in 'General & Upcoming Kingdom Hearts' started by Dreamsong, Apr 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dreamsong Moogle Assistant

Does anyone actually know who has full ownership over the Kingdom Hearts series?
    Alot of posts I've come across seem to think KH belongs to Disney alone

I was always under the impression that both companies need each other to produce the series and the concept of Sora and co. also all these new characters appearing were Square-Enix's contribution to the project.

thoughts?

2. Kiryu Setsuna F. Seiei

I think that they have seperate ownership. Square has all the rights to there characters and final fantasy elements and Disney has the rights to of course all their products in the game. I don't think one can't do something without the others consent.

3. Soushirei 運命の欠片

Disney owns all and any characters created in Kingdom Hearts.

I.e. Sora, Kairi, Riku, Ansem, Xehanort, Organization XIII, Hayner, Pence, Olette, etc all belong to Disney.

Square-Enix is simply the developer.

Disney is under a contract though, meaning no other company can produce a Kingdom Hearts related game unless Square-Enix voids their current contract or agrees.

4. Cia (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*.✧*.✧

Ah, that's cool news. I always thought the gang of KH belonged to Square-Enix...

... Maybe Disney isn't so bad after all... :p

5. Soushirei 運命の欠片

I actually would've preferred it if Square-Enix had more power with what to do with their characters in KH (excluding the FF cameos).

It's kinda like making something then having no say as to what you want to do with it in the future.

6. Cia (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*.✧*.✧

Yeah. I mean, Square are the people who make the game... Is it that Disney created the idea, and then Square made it? Or are you saying Square thought the idea and then Disney created the characters?

7. Soushirei 運命の欠片

Apparently it was an idea that both companies thought of on a whim during an elevator ride.

And Square-Enix created the characters. Tetsuya Nomura is the character designer after all.

8. Cia (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*.✧*.✧

Right, right. Dull moment there. Sorry. XP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.