Influenza A (H1N1) (Swine Flu)

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by tSG1, Jul 13, 2009.

1. tSG1 Chaser

I'm not sure whether a thread has already been made,

So, post everything about how H1N1 is affecting you, your schools/workplace, how you cope with it, whether you have contracted H1N1.

My school has shut down due to this choir going to USA, coming back here, and infecting the school. There have been 9 reported cases already, and my school has shut down last Thursday. They reopen for the last day of school, which is this Friday (my school is British).

So, now, i'm stuck at home with a fever, but no flu, cough, or sore throat. For that I am grateful :)

2. Fellangel Bichael May

Well a lot of people take this seriously. Some say it's an act of terrorism. Couple of our schools are shut down due to signs of the flu. So yes it's threatening.

3. Jayn

It's not affected me at all anymore. O_o Now that school's out here and everything, I haven't heard much about it. I kind of even forgot it existed. 8D8

4. Fellangel Bichael May

Yea true. Not many cases nowdays. But they fear if pigs catch it, it could change the symptoms when a human catches it again.

5. childofturin Why?

I don't even think it's that much of a problem, especially to the developed world. 3rd world countries may get hit hard, but in places like the US, the normal flu kills more people than swine flu. All this is, to most of us, is a media-incited panic, with no danger behind it.

6. Cleopatra King's Apprentice

Media overreaction.

BUT, it is quite serious if you are infected with the disease. Precautions should be taken to prevent further outbreak of the case. I think two schools in my city were shutdown for a week, because only 1-2 students actually HAD the disease and others were being tested. I guess its just a lot of citizens who don't want the disease, especially at a time like this in winter (Australia climate atm, lol.)

7. kaseykockroach Hollow Bastion Committee

I got a week from school due to the media overreaction, so can't say I was too concerned. ^^;

8. childofturin Why?

Lucky bum... We haven't had any time off at all. Well, I don't think there's been a single case of Swine flu here in NC anyways.

9. Stardust Chaser

Nothing big involving Swine Flu has happened in my area, but I'm coming down with something =/ I've got coughing and clogged sinuses.

I certainly hope it's not the Swine Flu. I believe a symptom of that is actually vomiting, though, which I am not doing... Yet.

10. Inasuma "pumpkin"

The hype is pretty much over for me and the places around me. It really didn't get around here too much, either.

11. tSG1 Chaser

Symptoms also include sore throat, fever and diarrhea.

12. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

I'm just back from a holiday in Tenerife and like half our group fell ill with something and we don't know what it is D: The only other real contact with it I've had is like my second cousin who lives in England got sent home from school a week early because there were cases in her school. They went to Spain instead >_>

Although it is worrying when you hear that a perfectly healthy 6 year old girl who was diagnosed with tonsillitis actually had swine flu and died a few days later =/

13. Stardust Chaser

Eep.
    Well, I've got a sore throat, but I dunno about a fever and no diarrhea. And my nose is clogged.
    In all honesty I think I have a cold, but if it gets worse I'll go to a doctor.

14. The Twin My, what a strange duet

An 8 year old boy was sick with flu-like symptoms at the end of the school year, but was well within a week. He did test positive for the swine flu.

Other than that, there's hardly been any buzz about it.

15. Chevalier Crystal Princess

Ugh....a girl died here. People don't clasp hands, and are using sanitizer a lot. It's been in the very peak of everything here. Since we are in vacation, it's not a school closing matter, and I'm hoping everything passes...I feel bad because 2 people were reported dead.

It's still hasn't affected anyone close to me, though.

16. The Twin My, what a strange duet

Ooh...I heard using sanitizer's actually bad for you. \startsciencelesson

See, while they kill 99.9% of germs on your hands, they also kill off germs that can help protect your body. Much like germs that live inside your body, these actually help to fight off disease and infection. Kill them off with sani, and it makes much easier for stuff like the flu to get in.

If you're going to try washing your hands, use hand soap instead.

/endsciencelesson

17. tSG1 Chaser

I thought all the "germs" are white blood cells which reside in the bloodstream, which help kill bacteria. The skin is a form of protection, which if comes in contact with someplace wet, such as your mouth or a cut which is wet, then might be bad for you.

18. The Twin My, what a strange duet

Something like that, I'm guessing it's just what lives on the surface of your skin that kills off whatever attacks your body. I'm not sure if it's truly WBCs or germs, but I figured it worked much in the same way as the small intestine, which also fosters "helpful" bacteria.

19. tSG1 Chaser

True, true

But Influenza can be contracted by air as well...

And people have proven that the masks (the paper ones) do not work

So we would all have to get gas masks to make a clean, no-infection airspace for us to breathe in :(

20. int2646 Traverse Town Homebody

My school was closed multiple times because of this pandemic, the school even cleaned the air.