IGN Updates Website

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts News & Updates' started by Xaldin, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Xaldin ITS OVER 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey everyone, IGN Updated their website with more information about Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep!

September 26, 2007 - The latest issue of Famitsu has new details on Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, one of three new portable entries in the series that were announced in the Square Enix Closed Megatheater at the Tokyo Game Show.

Birth by Sleep gets its name from the unlockable Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix closing movie, which you probably haven't seen since this director's cut version of Kingdom Hearts II hasn't been released outside of Japan. That movie featured a bunch of new characters, including Terra and Ven, the latter resembling Roxas. Birth By Sleep focuses on three main characters, Terra, Ven and a third character.

In development by the team down in Osaka that developed the Re: Chain of Memories component of Final Mix, Birth By Sleep is being headed up by some familiar names. Tetsuya Nomura is director of the project, with Tai Yasue serving as co-director. Patrick Chen is serving as producer with Youichi Yoshimoto as co-producer.

In a developer interview with this week's Famitsu, Nomura revealed that development on the project actually started long ago, but was halted due to the amount of volume that ended up going into Re: Chain of Memories. The plot was certainly finished in time for the release of Final Mix, as the closing movie for that game was created around it.

Daisuke Watanabe is working on the scenario. You might recognize him from FFXII, KHII, FFX-2 and Chain of Memories. He's also supervising the DS and cell phone KH games. With Birth by Sleep, his talents are put to particular use, as Nomura says he specializes in multi scenario systems.

The game has three scenarios, each told from the perspective of one of the main characters. Yasue joked with the magazine that players may think the game was made by three different teams, as the play style is different for each character due to their varying personalities and abilities.

Re: Chain of Memories had separate Sora and Riku scenarios. Different here, according to Yasue, is that rather than playing one scenario after the other, you'll have to use certain characters to clear certain sections. This also isn't like a 'zapping' system, he noted. He's promising something that players have never seen before.

Regarding gameplay systems, early screenshots of the game show a command menu not unlike previously Kingdom Hearts PS2 titles. Nomura says that of the three newly announced titles, the PSP game is the closest to previous titles in the series and will offer the feeling of action for which the series is known. However, in a separate interview, he also noted that the game will actually be close to the Re: Chain of Memories battle system, with your commands appearing in the form of a deck.

Some new gameplay systems are in the works as well. The character growth system, in particular, uses some ideas that Yasue believes will shock players. While not giving too many specifics, Yoshimoto revealed that they're thinking up a few systems where players hook up their PSP with other players; this presumably has something to do with the growth system Yasue was speaking about. Nomura noted that this type of multiplayer system wil be completely different from the multiplayer mode of the DS title. He also referred to the DS game as being the only new Kingdom Hearts title with actual multiplayer play, so it's a bit unclear if the PSP title will actually let players play together.

The game will once again be constructed of multiple worlds, similar to past titles. However, Yoshimoto is promising some new Disney worlds. Look forward to areas like Sleeping Beauty's Forest.

Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep is still somewhat of a mystery. And it might stay a mystery for a while. In a separate interview, Nomura noted that of the three new portable Kingdom Hearts games, it's the first one to have started development, and will likely be the last one to see release.

Sources: IGN and KHN

Tags: this article has not been tagged
Categories:

Comments

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts News & Updates' started by Xaldin, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Mr. Pumpkin
      Mr. Pumpkin
      Thanks for the info, again Xaldin. its a pleasure to read from you!:)
    2. willi_211191
      willi_211191
      thanks Xaldin for those news!
      oh, btw, where do you get news THAT fast?! your awesome!
    3. .: Ryan :.
      .: Ryan :.
      thnx again xaldin xD
    4. ThunderOfLarxene
      ThunderOfLarxene
      thanx for keeping us updated

I love reading the information
    5. Solid Snake
      Solid Snake
      Wow new disney worlds the only bad part is no Donald and Goofy :(
    6. SoulSlayer
      SoulSlayer
      Awww... the last one to see release? That's not good... It's my most anticipated out of the 3 (well, more like out of 2, as I don't have any interest in coded).

And what was this about a deck? I guess the command menu is randomized then? Not sure how I feel about that... So far it sounds like 358/2 Days is actually more actiony even though they say BBS is closest to the past games. Oh well, I'm sure it'll turn out fine.

Anyway, thanks for the info!
    7. Explode
      Explode
      Thanks for the info, Xaldin!

OMG I can't believe they put off the production of BBS for one that didn't even come out in America! They owe us big time XD jk

thanks again
    8. Darkandroid
      Darkandroid
      Quite simply no life. =P

This is a must get for me now. Bet we won't see it for 2 years. D=
    9. Xaldin
      Xaldin
      You wish it was no life, I'm just that awesome to multi task like that.

And yeah 2 years more then likely.
    10. Alpha Sonix
      Alpha Sonix
      Cool, I get to play as TAV. But what's this I hear about a deck, oh please don't be what I think it is.
    11. Xamad
      Xamad
      Thanks Xaldin,
      Once again, I owe you one.
    12. Vex123
      Vex123
      Thanks Xaldin, and for those of you who are so worried about a deck, notice the gameplay scans for BBS. Notice the circle by the command menu.
    13. Varnor
      Varnor
      this is getting cooler every time i read it :D
    14. Darkcloud
      Darkcloud
      Birth by Sleep is the last of the three, eh? Well, best for last is still the best!

Nice job gettin' the info!
    15. Inasuma
      Inasuma
      When I read the part about the new Disney World I kinda...squealed....like a fan boy.

xDDD I can't wait for new Disney worlds and the PSP version especially. x3
    16. SinirothXIII
      SinirothXIII
      I know, total fanboyism here as well. What's more, now that they have Pixar Worlds to bring into the series, expect nothing but awesomeness from future titles as far as new worlds go (can you say Toy Story, Monsters. Inc, etc.?!). Oh yes, can't wait.

Anyway, these new scans and the new info have really made my day. BBS and Days sound so great. Hopefully the 'last to be released' thing doesn't mean TOO far off. I can't wait that long! :(
    17. kitty_mckechnie
      kitty_mckechnie
      lol a wee fan boy. XD

I would like to see what their like as well.
    18. JaxonXIII
      JaxonXIII
      Hey guys. I'm new here, so this is my first post.

You know, I can't help but notice the choice of words IGN used. They said hasn't been released outside of Japan (referring to FM+). If they said "won't" instead, that would pretty much confirm FM+ to be Japan exclusive, but no, they said "hasn't." Now, I'm probably just over-analyzing, but is IGN saying that we might be seeing FM+ outside of Japan soon?