god damn it?

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by Master of the Onyx Flame, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master of the Onyx Flame Hollow Bastion Committee

would you consider this a use of gods name in vain? cuz the bible says you aren't supposed to use this phrase but if you actually mean to tell god to damn it then it shouldn't be a problem should it? i have been wondering about that a lot and i am confused.

p.s. sorry if this offends people but i am 100% serious about this i'm not just sayin it to cause trouble.

2. Near Gummi Ship Junkie

I am sorry but I honestly do not know. I know saying "Oh my God" is using His name in vain, because I have a friend who is christian(sp?) and hates it when i say that.
    I think, if you're actually telling God to "Damn" something, it shouldn't be offensive, well, unless you were telling God to "damn" a person, then it would be ofensive to that person.

Re:P.S. It doesn't offend me at all, I understand. =3

3. Master of the Onyx Flame Hollow Bastion Committee

yeah it's very confusing. I've asked lots of people about it but havent got many straight answers.

4. Angel Twilight Town Denizen

Having sexytimez with my boyfriend at our house
    It depends on who you are, what you believe in, and what you've grown up with. With me, I say stuff like this all the time, its just a figure of speech. To me, it doesn't affect me. I'm Wiccan. I was baptized, but I'm not an actual christian. It just depends on what you believe, and that, is that.

[ /end speech]

5. N Hollow Bastion Committee

I'd never do it. I find it really offensive when people do. (I'm Christian anyways). And I can understand you not getting straight answers. I don't get straight answers half the time either when I ask questions.

6. Spike H E R O

I say it almost every day.If it is a sin,I'm screwed.

7. Shuhbooty moon child

I'm with you on that,I say it all the time,and it makes me wonder why?Like before It's a figure of speech so i'm fine with it.And I offend alot of people at my school(Christan's at my school) so yeah.

8. Blademaster Mai'kel Hollow Bastion Committee

You know what's funny? I go to a Catholic school, and everbody (myself included) uses the Name in vain. Isn't that weird?
    I know I shouldn't, but I do it anyway. Go figure.

9. Gravity Chaser

Eh, technically, the bible describes that commandment as saying stuff that smites the lord. What we say these days is just saying that He does _____. (Insert action here.)

10. Chad Thundercucc The dharma of valvu; the dream of a clatoris

Yeah, well, if you use it in the sense of not talking or refering to God then it is using God's name in vain.

11. Gravity Chaser

Well, not technically. It's often interpreted that way, but if you check the bible out you might see otherwise.

It's all a matter of interpretation.

12. Stardust Chaser

Hm, I go to Catholic school...I think it depends on the context or situation it's used in. I really don't know.

13. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

I, as a christian was told that we must not use God or Christs name badly. (e'g. Oh my God!) I don't find this offensive when other people say it just because they might not be relligious.

14. Advent 【DRAGON BALLSY】

That can be one of two things.

1. You're saying it without meaning and only as a way to say vulgar things which is Using God's Name in Vain.

or

2. You really want God to damn something which is a different sin.

15. Mikuro Merlin's Housekeeper

Well god, is a part of religion, religion is a belief, a belief is up to ones self. So its up to the person who says it, do you believe in god? If you do, do you believe in a one god or god(s), savior or prophet? Depends on what you choose if this argument is relevant to you, the phrase is generic, when one says it, they say it out of being used to it, if you grew up by saying, " hot dawg! ", you would say that instead. But if you saying it to piss some(one)(thing) off you must be:

- Upset at a god(s) or a one god
    - An Atheist (you don't believe in a god)
    - You didn't get a hug (so your swearing at god)
    - I have no idea, but I will edit this later when I think of it :D

16. Master of the Onyx Flame Hollow Bastion Committee

wanting god to damn something is a sin?
    EDIT:mikuro, i don't kow why but that makes perfect sense(sp?)
    but i dontknow if i believe in god, i don't want to go to hell if it is real but i don't entirely believe in hell...

17. Mikuro Merlin's Housekeeper

Well, it depends on your belief or purpose on saying it, like I said the phrase is generic.

18. Repliku Chaser

Having Christian roots, though I'm not Christian now, I can say that most people who say it are angered and also in a way telling God to 'damn' something or in other words, curse it and make something bad happen to it. To me, if I believed in God, I wouldn't want to use it because then I am saying to do something bad to someone else. Of course, some people won't even spell God out and will say G-d or something, or g-d darnit. I suppose it depends on how sensitive the person is to their beliefs.

19. AlexleHoshi Dude called Alex

I think it's all to do with why you're saying it, I say it when I mess up on something, so it's kinda like I'm saying 'God, damn the mess I made' so I guess that kinda makes it okay to say it.

20. Master of the Onyx Flame Hollow Bastion Committee

sooooo it's kewl to say it if i wish harm and misfortune to something?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.