Do Human Beings Deserve Religion?

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by Patsy Stone, Jul 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

After watching all of these religion related threads pop up I've been wondering, do we even deserve to have a concept such as religion? We took something good and pure with a set of morals to help guide society and keep us essentially good. But no, that couldn't last, could it? Bickering, not being able to decide on one true interpretation, greed and a hunger for power blinding religious leaders who have control over millions of followers relying on them for guidence.

All of this leading to wars, death, suffering and hate. Only the corruption of human beings could have done this to such a benign and wonderful concept.

The same thing happened with communism, a perfect government system on paper ruined when humans were introduced.

I think that until we resolve our differences of opinion God (if he /she exists in any form) should ignore us and leave us to our own fate for our own stupidity.

2. Soushirei 運命の欠片

Religion is an age old concept, though. It's not a question of deserving since it's it's not like it was something given to us--we, humans, were the ones who created it, at least, the concept of it. Whether or not God made the universe or not isn't the issue.

Communism works better in theory (before you consider that it can never work with humanity being the way it is) than religion because it's more substantial and can produce definitive results. It isn't based on faith like religion is.

3. White_Rook Looser than a wizard's sleeve.

We can imagine such figures like Christ and Buddha who had the whole picture right, yet we fail to aspire to them. The more organized it becomes, the worse people become with it.

4. Repliku Chaser

Well said.

Religion is not something 'earned'. People made most religions in order to secure an order for a society and to make common rules and ethics within that society. This is not to say that there is not some greater force out there that moves things or interacts with people's lives. It is to say, however, that people will do things and use anything to get what they need done, including to fill people's heads up with junk.

There are many people that are heroic inspirations and seemed to be very in tune with their surroundings and life. Gotama Buddha, Jesus, Socrates, Ghandi, and others have inspired people for a long time. They seemed to have a lot of intellect and all of them proclaimed an enlightenment of sorts. They also drew past this to explain things to the cultures of their time, so is everything going to be accurate? Probably not to people today. However, whatever that force is out there, it exists to some and to others, they don't worry about it. All people are deserving of finding inner peace and enlightenment if it is possible. Why not? Who is to judge? However, "organized" religion is something that I have to say no one rightfully deserves. If they ended tomorrow, I'd be partying.

5. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

Relegion was created by humans to explain creation of the world, plants, creature and so on, also on how things work.
    The religious leaders were only succesful because of charisma, explination on how things worked and people could understand believe it.

6. Zandyne King's Apprentice

Personally I believe its all a matter of perception.

At times religion can be looked on as our "guide" but at times it simply causes too much anguish. I'm actually rather curious what a world without religion would be like! I have a strange, but unfounded hunch that it would be better. Maybe because animals do not have a religion (well as far as we know, I dunno) and they merely bicker out of survival.

Relgion can be given the title of giving us morals...but so can fables, but we do not preach the word of the Tortoise and the Hare nor any of the other fairy tale creatures. I wonder why? We still follow their "morals" but for some reason we humans overall seem to only get into debates over which invisible arbitrator is better- which is quite ridiculous in on itself.

Personally I think all religion should 'die out". It is a crutch for those who can't find resolve in themselves or their actions. And is the metaphorical carrot to press on for some sort of blind hope; you can have hope without the aid of paying homage to someone or something that never existed.

Because really, if you think about it, going to church or whatever weekly...what does it bring you? All of the (popular) doctrines state at one point or another that one of the most "personal" temples do not require a building, but rather humble...quiet faith. Course that died out once the loud obnoxious "god shippers" came about. I also think that the concept of heaven/salvation is a petty reward to bribe people. If some rewards wasn't stated, I have a vague inkling that none of the religions would have nearly as many followers as they do to this day.

7. dandanrevolutionextreme Banned

deserve it? most any 1 i no, doesnt want it!!!!myself included....

8. ~tReAh867~ Twilight Town Denizen

Ferngully?... no, wait, that's not right...
    i had to quote this because i believe it pretty much states all that needs to be said in respect to this topic. if i could put my feeling and thoughts into words better, than that is exactly what i would be saying! here, here, Repliku!

9. Roxas is Hot I'd lick his Sea Salt stick anytime. ♥

I think they should be allowed religion, but I think it's gotten to far out of hand anymore.

Like Iraq?

10. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

My point is people take the idea of religion way out of hand and sometimes use it for their own ends when religion has the potential to be such a force for good.

I'm just saying if a higher power looked at us and had the choice to take away religion, would we deserve to keep it considering what we've accomplished with it so far?

11. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

I agree, but I think if we don't deserve religion then who does? Animals don't need it since all they worry about is staying alive. I don't believe in aliens and all that.

12. Happyman Moogle Assistant

Religion was created by humanity, therefore there is no question as to if we deserve such a concept. If you create an idea, totally original, and fight about it, does that mae you any less deserving? It is your idea, and rightfully so you can fight about it. We are human, we are not perfect.

If God were real, and looked down upon us, It would most likely smile. As, in the Bible, (I'm basing this off of Christian beliefs, as I am most familiar with them) God is willing to take his children in if they are truly sorry for what they have done, no matter what. That is, if it's a benevolent ruler, if it's mean, that's another story.

13. N Hollow Bastion Committee

I think we should have at least some religion. I think if we just had a one-world power then people would get angry and etc. because you can't show your religion.

As long as Christians and others don't try and 'force' people to become what they are I think we'll do pretty fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.