Graphic Novel Comic Books & Graphic Novels

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Johnny Stooge, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Johnny Stooge Traverse Town Homebody

Not that I expect anyone to reply, since this isn't a Twilight thread but I'm honestly interested to see who here actually reads comics.

I am a big time reader of comics. I started back in 2005 with Marvel's Ultimate comics, then branched out to DC around the time of One Year Later and began my undying love for the company. About half way through Civil War is when I joined reading the mainstream Marvel Universe and ditched the Ultimates all apart from Spider-Man.

My favourite character is Superman, and I can't begin to tell you how much I'm loving the Superman books at the moment and I can't wait till James Robinson gets back to writing him.
    Green Lantern is probably my favourite and has been since I started reading it around #10.

I think JMS' Thor is probably one of the greatest books being published at the moment and Brubaker's Captain America is one hell of a comic book.

Brand New Day completely turned me off Spider-Man and while I hear it's getting better, 3x monthly is still enough to keep me away.

So KHV, discuss comic books with me.

2. GhettoXemnas literally dead inside

I always dabbled with comic books but when I was younger I was actually more into novels. When I was in 3rd grade I was reading 100 page books in a day and 500 page books in about a week or two, but since around like 06 or 07 and started reading Ultimate X-Men and Ultimate Spider-Man as well as some star wars comics.

I used to be a crazy collector of Spider-Man which I do still read from time to time but I've always loved any material related to Star Wars. I have almost every issue of Dark Times, Knights Of The Old Republic, Legacy, and Clone Wars. I actually just bought 3 new issues today.

My favorite super hero would have to be Spidey, but as for just all around favorite character I'd say Zayne Carrick from Knights Of The Old Republic.

But as for spidey I'm pretty sure I quit after brand new day. Just kinda lost intrest since the whole reverse of the story was just stupid to me, though I tried to stay with it for a while. Civil War was awesome though.

3. Radiowave ITSA PIIINCH

I'm pretty much a Spider-Man reader although I've read a few comics on other Marvel/DC characters.

When I was younger Wal-Mart was having some sale for comics and one of the "comics" was actually a giant book of comics of Spider-Man starting from issue 1 until the Sinister Six appeared (don't know the number of that one) and I got a second book later that continued from there.

Read the Morbius stories...the Venom and Carnage ones. I've pretty much wiki'd from there but I want to find the Civil War ones. They are hard to get.

Yeah, lately Spider-Man has been ****...I must admit.

4. GhettoXemnas literally dead inside

I guess was can all agree spidey has gone down the drain. And lucky for me I have all the Spider-Man civil war comics :'D

5. Catch the Rain As the world falls down ♥

Not as much as I used to be, but I do still love my comics.

xD; though I am an X-Men girl at heart which I get a lot of hate for off my other friends who like their comics, I do read others too. I do like Spidey, or at least I used to. This is something my nephew and I argue over constantly, he is just getting into comics now, and he always borrows mine. He thinks Spiderman now is the most awesome **** ever, which I always disagree with.

Actually I never had an issue (no pun intended) in finding them. Maybe I am just fortunate that one of the shops in the city has a real good comic section.

To be honest, I don't follow them as much anymore, for one thing I was spending way too much money on them and I can't afford to do that for a while now yay for student debts :D

To rant one second, it sometimes pisses me off, how people are like, omguh comics suck blah blah and then Hollywood bring some film version out and suddenly EVERYONE is a Spidey fan, and suddenly EVERYONE has a copy of Watchmen (which I have had for years tyvm) I hate flash fans (by that I mean the fans who appear overnight and know **** all but brag they are experts and loved whatever all along)

6. Toshi Banned

I only read mickey mouse comic books :P but only on vacations.

7. Johnny Stooge Traverse Town Homebody

To be honest, I'm not that much of a Spider-Man fan. But I enjoyed reading the well written stories while they lasted. 'Back in Black' was great, and then 'One More Day' came along.

I mean, I like street level heroes. Daredevil and Captain America have been some of my favourite comic books, but while they are flamboyant superheroes, they're not written as such. Daredevil is parts crime, thriller and noir. Captain America is crime and espionage. Spider-Man is a street level hero, written like a superhero, up against super-powered villians and to me it just doesn't work.

While I'm at it, I may as well list the books I'm currently reading-

Marvel

Invincible Iron Man
    Thor
    Captain America
    Daredevil
    Fantastic Four (Mark Millar's run)
    Uncanny X-Men

DC

Superman
    Action Comics
    Superman: World of New Krypton
    Red Robin
    Detective Comics
    Flash: Rebirth
    Green Lantern
    Green Lantern Corps
    Batman and Robin (undecided)

I'll also be picking up all the Blackest Night tie-ins when they come out. I am very pumped for this. Green Lantern has consistantly been the best superhero comic for the past few years, and the Sinestro Corps War was amazing. I love Geoff Johns and I can't wait to see what happens in Blackest Night.

So does anyone here read DC (or anything other than Spider-Man)?

You're not alone here.
    What I hate are the people who Wiki everything and are suddenly experts in everything, trying to tell you your wrong even though you're reading the ****ing thing and have been for years.
    Or the people who are like "Heath Ledger revolutionized the Joker. he did something the comics never did".
    uhh. I could join the Red Lantern Corps.

8. Korra my other car is a polar bear dog

Yes, an actual discussion of comics. :'D

I read them much more when I was younger, mostly because I'd go to garage sales and flea markets with my dad and hunt for them. I haven't been able to do that for a few years now, and my local book store has maybe one little rack for comics. >:

My first series was Gargoyles, I believe, and soon after reading those I stared on Transformers. I have mostly the originals, but the majority of my collection of TF is scattered from various series. I have almost all of Armada, a few The War Within, and I think the prequel to the 2007 movie. Also I have one of the four "Reign of Starscream" comics set after the movie.
    I also really liked the revamp of G1. <3
    Though I never really got into Spidey, never knew why. I think it was one of the things I meant to look into but never got the chance to.

9. Cleopatra King's Apprentice

I think I still have my comic books. I started when I was younger, I read Spiderman a lot. My aunt used to buy them for me cause she knew I liked to read. I have The Simpson comics aswell, but I gave them to my brother to read. Other than that, not much [unless its action-packed with violence in it xDD] And transformers, yes transformers' comics are full of epicness XD

10. Alphonsefanatic Traverse Town Homebody

I remember reading Green Lantern a long time ago.

11. Johnny Stooge Traverse Town Homebody

I can see that the chances of getting the right discussion going will be slim.

12. GhettoXemnas literally dead inside

I actually don't read anything from DC. Never really found anything that interested me from them but that's because I haven't really looked.

Currently I'm focused on Star Wars comics. Knights of the Old Republic, Legacy, Dark Times, and Clone Wars( never was a rebellion fan)

Something about the currently running Star Wars comics that I liked was Vector which tied 4 comics together even though they all take place in time periods that are any where from 3000 to 19 years apart.

13. Johnny Stooge Traverse Town Homebody

oh boy I could recommend a bunch of books from DC if all you like is well written stories.

I tried picking up Knights of the Old Republic, followed an arc and everything but I just couldn't hit my groove. Star Wars just doesn't jive with me as much as the boys in spandex do.
    but I'm always open to a good trade. I've got Sandman, Pride of Baghdad, Wanted, etc.
    had a conversation about Star Wars with the owner of the comic shop I go to just this afternoon.

14. Catch the Rain As the world falls down ♥

don'tshootmeforthispost

Ok, I've been advised to read Green Lantern, but I have never picked it up, I know you're a fan and I know a few other members are, is it worth it? Also, how much of a mind**** am I going to find it if I start now?

15. Toshi Banned

Green LaterN iS ok in that legion of heroes cartoon so I don't think he sucks in the comix

16. Johnny Stooge Traverse Town Homebody

I don't even know what to say.
    Just get out.

ohman.
    Just like anyone will tell you (if they're smart enough to not have a bias against DC), the current Green Lantern comic book has been a great read ever since Hal Jordan was revived back in Rebirth (around 2004, 05).

The entire Green Lantern mythos has had an overhaul the past couple of years and it's been awesome. In 2007 we had the Sinestro Corps War, where Hal Jordan's nemesis Sinestro finally formed his own "Yellow Lantern" Corps and waged war with Oa, Mogo and Earth. It was pretty epic.

Recently, more Lantern Corps have been uncovered. We've got the Red Lantern Corps, the Star Sapphires forming their own Corps, Agent Orange, the Blue Lantern Corps and the Indigo Tribe and Black Lanterns have yet to be revealed.
    The Black Lanterns are zombies and are set to feature in this years event comic Blackest Night. ****'s gonna be bigger than the Sinestro Corps War and it's gonna be awesome.

If you pick up now, you shouldn't get too lost. Wikipedia is a great resource for information. Right now it's all build-up and the idea is that even though Blackest Night will be a massive crossover, it should still be self contained.
    In my opinion, you wouldn't get too lost if jumped on now. The Agent Orange arc is ending in Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps is about to wrap up it's prelude arc.

If you were looking to pick up the trades, Green Lantern: Rebirth is the place to start.
    The next important beat is Sinestro Corps War vol1 and 2. Then Rage of the Red Lanterns and that should be enough to see you into Blackest Night. But everything inbetween is still a great read.
    No Fear, Hal Jordan: Wanted, Tales of the Sinestro Corps, Secret Origin (Hal Jordan origin story), Green Lantern Corps: Recharge, To Be A Lantern, The Dark Side of Green, Ring Quest, Sins of the Star Sapphire.

God, I could honestly talk for hours about Green Lantern and how awesome it is. But if you want any specific information, just ask.

17. Rayku Kingdom Keeper

I dont read the new ones as much, since I never get around of acutally going out and getting the most recent issues of Spider-Man, X-Men and other Marvel comics...

I do get the ones when I am at Flea Markets and stuff like that.

18. Catch the Rain As the world falls down ♥

Thanking you for the information, I'll definitely be checking it out, don't be surprised though if you end up being bombarded with questions~

19. Johnny Stooge Traverse Town Homebody

I **** you not, I could talk for days about Green Lantern.
    I could talk about Superman for weeks.

Blackest Night starts next week.

20. krayzie Ruthless Villain

i used to read some and loved comics of Venom
    but then i moved on to mangas and now i dont read either one