Aww hell no!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Serbkiller, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Serbkiller Destiny Islands Resident

Blasphemy law put the word 'stupidity' in a new coat.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jan/01/irish-atheists-challenge-blasphemy-law

We've entered 2010; this law doesn't belong here.

2. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

It would be really nice if the faith could stand up on its own, and not even be concerned with these so-called "blasphemies" that offend them so. Didn't anyone listen when Jesus told them to turn the other cheek?

3. daxma Hei Long: Unrivalled under the Heavens

At this rate i should already be broke. I don't care about what a law states what i can or can't say or write. If i want to say that jesus had a child or abraham used some form of mechanism to move that mountain then i shall do so. I will say what i please about what i believe whether or not is deemed acceptable by religious extremists.

4. Guardian Soul hella sad & hella rad

[​IMG]

I don't know how things work in Ireland but isn't this against people's freedom of speech? Also if Ireland allows freedom of religion then why is Christianity the only one that gets protection of its beliefs? They should probably amend that part of the 1936 constitution to equally protect all religions.

5. Styx That's me inside your head.

This violates so many "freedom of"s that it makes me rage. Besides, how can you prove that someone is "intentionally causing outrage"? This really is stupidity taken to a whole new level.

6. TheVader74 Gummi Ship Junkie

God, this is worse than American Conservatives. And Styx is right. The amount of freedom rights this violates is ridiculous. I find it strange that I hear this first here. Must've missed it on the news, as this sounds like something that the BBC would have a field day milking for public input.

7. Always Dance Chaser

-_-
    This is ridiculous. It violates a number of free speech laws, freedom of press laws, and other things.
    And for NO GOOD REASON. What, is the church a little baby that has to be coddled by the government?
    This is stupid and unnecessary. It probably won't be enforced.

8. Smackdoodle McGiggles Hollow Bastion Committee

they arent in america they dont have to follow their constitution, they might not have free speech

9. Korra my other car is a polar bear dog

Wait what?

But...wow. It disturbs me how in this day and age, laws like this are still being passed. You'd think that after all the history any country has been through that the governments would learn, though this shows how humans can still regress. :/

10. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

That is just over the border from me D: Luckily there are sensible atheist groups defying the law and trying to get it repealed. Sense and reason must prevail.

11. xXRhian+RoxasXx Gummi Ship Junkie

Матвей охотник just made me think. What about all the atheists that live there? They probably could get fined just for saying "God doesn't exist and he never did. Its not real." Thats their belief and they're gonna be fined for it, I'm glad I don't live there now.

But really, this law is just stupid with a side order of morons.

12. daxma Hei Long: Unrivalled under the Heavens

Exactly, they are also working on setting up schools that don't treat gospel as fact as schools do now. A spokesperson made me laugh by saying "catholics are practically protestants and protestants are practically athiest" and i laughed so hard.
    The politics here is bad because of corruption. I'm actually hoping for a collapse simply because then we could replace them without anything to lose. Currently the minister for finance was given half a billion just because he has terminal cancer when the country is suffering. It's practically cuba here but the fundamental differance is that they are not up front about it.