Artemis Fowl

Discussion in 'Literature' started by tSG1, Aug 16, 2009.

1. tSG1 Chaser

Anybody read Artemis Fowl books?

They're by Eoin Colfer (who's irish)

They're quite good, about a 12 year old genius discovering an underground species.

He also uses metaphors which are customized to the actual storyline, which is funny.

I'm waiting for the next book to come out, which he says will take 2-3 years.

:why?:

2. MadDoctorMaddie I'm a doctor, not a custom title!

I like the series, I love Colfer's writing style (and for once, the translations are nearly as good as the originals).
    The books were funny and clever imo, especially the first few. And I really loved how a few of my favorite places in the world are mentioned in the series.

3. Cleopatra King's Apprentice

A best friend of mine actually recommended the series. I read the first book I think, but never got to finish it. I can't actually remember it. It's been 2-3 years since I picked up one of those books. Hmm... maybe I should go back and finish reading it.

4. Ŧiмє Яǽрεѓ King's Apprentice

Artemis Fowl is one of my favourite series. A great mix of sci-fi and fantasy and some really well crafted characters and plots, but also a good dollop of humour, and it doesn't take itself too seriously either. My favourite is probably Time Paradox.

5. Kites Chaser

I think I read a couple of them in elementary school when we had to pick out a book. I think I chose it because the cover looked cool, and I ended up liking them at one point.

6. Clawtooth Keelah se'lai!

Not my fav set of books but certainly a good read. Got a bit dry after "The Opal Deception" if I must say though.

7. Rosey Chaser

I love these books. The last one was a littttle werid for me, but the first three are fabulous and I think everyone so read them. They keep me very entertained and I can read them over and over

8. Ravenyuki Traverse Town Homebody

I didn't even read the first one, yet I got hooked to it. I could not put each book that I read down. It was so addictive and interesting. It's like they pulled you into another world. Very good storytelling.

9. tSG1 Chaser

Also, very good at describing a world to you.

10. Catch the Rain As the world falls down ♥

Excuse me whilst I go and squeeee like some ******ed fan girl.

I adore this series so much. I read the forst book years ago and fell absolutely in love with it.

I didn't read the rest until relatively recently when I was ill, but wow, I really wish I had read them sooner.

Some people think the series is childish or immature, but I think it is bloody brilliant. I cried a few times I won't deny that, but I laughed a lot too.

Root ;~;

11. jafar custom title

I was in 8th grade when I finally got around to reading the first one. It could barely hold my attention. It's for kids, no doubt about that. But meh, I could care less.

12. Catch the Rain As the world falls down ♥

I actually disagree with that, there is a lot within the books that is aimed more at adults, whether it be the humour or the ideas expressed.

I don't think it is an adult's book either, but it definitely isn't just for kids.

13. Ah eff. Traverse Town Homebody

I loved them when I was younger. I bought the first one at a book fair that they held at my school. I wouldn't know what the cut off age for these books is, but I know that they'd be enjoyable to most people under, say, 15?

14. jafar custom title

I meant it's target audience is children. It's classified everywhere as a children's book, so that's what I was referring to.

15. Tahno The official Charlie Sheen of Republic City.

This is indeed a great series....
    Very well-developed characters, plot and I like Artemis a lot.(No homo)

16. Umiyuri Papaeyra Gummi Ship Junkie

I still can't believe I read the first three in two days.

17. Mr. Van Whippy ♥ Biscuits and cookies

Aside from the comic version of the first book, which i found rather interesting - though the drawing in some areas seemed poor- but it was good i have to admit that, i haven't read those yet. I can't decide whether i should read them or not. Artemis is a bit annoying character.

18. Midnight Star Master of Physics

I really like the books, I've read them all so far though I'm probably getting a little old for them now. I particulary like Holly and how he's changed around the ideas of faries.

19. Gobolo Traverse Town Homebody

I started reading them when I was about 10. And then he stopped publishing them. I grew older. And then I saw the latest one in the bookstores at the age of 17. I was mindblown and I decided to revist the world and I still love it.

Good relaxing read.

20. P Banned

The last one I read was the one which ended with two Opals and two Artemis running around in the future. This time-travel business is beginning to irk me. How many stable time loops is Colfer going to ultimately set up?

The books themselves were good up until the Opal Deception. I think they've started to go downhill slighly, but that's just me. :/