america sickness

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by uglynameless, Dec 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uglynameless Destiny Islands Resident

why do you guys think that the weight of the american is going up? i'm not so sure on the whole thing.

2. Devil's Angel Gummi Ship Junkie

Listening to my music which is your heartbeat
    Stress on people becuz of taxes or just normal drama stress in which they eat away to get it off their mind I don't know

3. White_Rook Looser than a wizard's sleeve.

Obesity in North America is a problem because more emphasis is being placed on quick and often unhealthy means to procuring a meal and lack of motivation for physical exercise. In countries with flourishing economies it is natural to see an increase in weight because the overall quality of life has increased which mean people are able to eat more. The issue is that very few working people lack the initiative or (in extremely rare cases) the actual time to fit in a few minutes of physical activity into their daily regiments, and are usually stuck behind a desk for the better part of their entire day. Children and teens are a huge target for obesity as well because more and more are choosing to stay inside and watch TV, play video games, etc. as opposed to going outside and playing.

4. Devil's Angel Gummi Ship Junkie

Listening to my music which is your heartbeat
    I can't go outside and play.I have to baby sit and Its like 100 degrees outside.

5. Laurence_Fox Chaser

I think it's because that junk food is cheaper and it lasts longer. If you look at say 'organic' chips compared to a bag of Doritos, the Doritos are cheaper to get. The prices on the organic foods are crazy.

I myself like fruits and vegetables and I think I eat...reasonably healthy. But everytime I go to the supermarket, the organic section kills me. Even the prepared mango I get from time to time is about 3 or 4 dollars for it. I get the prepared stuff sing peeling and cutting the thing is a pain.

6. Nymph of Destiny Chaser

Like White_Rook and Laurence_Fox say, unhealthy junk food and such has been promoted, while the organic, healthier ones are more expensive, and less desirable to some. Often, junk food have something injected within them to make it tastier, unlike the organic ones. Not to mention, more people stay inside the house nowadays, and refuse to try to do something more beneficial to their bodies, ignoring however the weather is.

It's really unfortunate though, seeing as how obesity is increasing. It's unhealthy, possibly causing or enlarging the chance of diseases, heart attacks, blood clots, etc.

I suppose a way to decrease obesity would be getting a healthy amount of exercise, having the right diet (not too little, nor too much), and being able to spend enough time outside in the sunlight. Although it sounds easy, it seems it's quite difficult for some, seeing how corpulence is increasing...

By the way, since this is the intelligent discussion, it'd be preferrable if you pertain more to the subject, and add more to it, to explain/describe your opinion/theory. Such as asking what if others can't go outside and play, or explaining your point, since I couldn't understand whether you're trying to justify obesity, or saying it's futile. It'd be nice to hear your clear, detailed opinion on the matter. :)

7. Love Kingdom Keeper

In a world where the sunset casts slender shadows
    Yeah , they should lower prices on organic foods and make junk food pricey , but that would lead to lot's of peoples sueing the companies . -_-

8. Jade Rhade King's Apprentice

As an American myself, I think it's silly- the emphasis people place on "feel-good" foods such as chocolate rather than healthier alternatives. Much of obesity can probably (IMO) be traced back to the 50's and 60's, when microwave food was new and easy to obtain, if not necessarily particularly good for you. Since I eat TV dinners at least three days out of the week, I fully admit that they're not the best things for you.

In this day and age, generally both parents in a family work full-time, while teenagers often get jobs as well; therefore, none of the old-fashioned "family meals", leading to the unhealthy, if quick and cheap, junk foods in its place.

Still, obesity is just plain silly. Isn't there a point where you just sit back and go: "Hm, this doesn't seem to be good for me. Maybe I shouldn't eat as much and try doing something else with my time instead of sitting around on my lazy ***."?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.