8.8 Earthquake hits Chile, Tsunami warning issued.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Rho, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Rho Twilight Town Denizen

2. February Destiny Islands Resident

Just found out about this 10 minutes ago, this is terrible news and really depressing.. a 8.8 earthquake is really massive and feel really sorry for the people that got hit. Also feel pretty scared because with all these countries being hit could worry that could be next..

3. The Twin My, what a strange duet

Been kind of following this for most of the day, since they mentioned a tsunami might hit Hawaii as a result of this thing.

Kind of scary how all of these are happening at once lately, what with Haiti back in January and now this.

4. Luna Lovegood nani panda-kun

It's especially frightening, since the earthquake in Haiti was a 7.0 magnitude. It's hard to imagine what it would be like in Chile right now, even with the news coverage. Almost everywhere on the coast of the Pacific Ocean is or was on a tsunami advisory/watch/warning.

5. T3F Chaser

All of the Eastern Australian coast has got a tsunami warning. All the beaches are closed etc. Its really frightening when you think about it...

6. Luna Lovegood nani panda-kun

So I heard that the earthquake shortened the days by a microsecond or two because it made Earth start to spin the slightest bit faster. And the axis got shifted 3 inches.

Holy popsicles.

7. Xaale Sylph of Hope

I heard this too, mind = blown.

That's amazing that it could freaking shift the axis.

Was actually about to post this but you beat me to it. Darn foiled again. But yeah.

I'm amazed so little people have been found dead. I mean it's a lot but imagine if it happened to an area like Manhattan? The deaths would be a lot higher. It's a scary thought, honestly :x

8. Rho Twilight Town Denizen

I saw video of a 7.0 hitting Japan in an office building.. all that seemed to happen = a sign from the ceiling shaking.

DAMN. The Japanese aren't screwing around. They make sure their buildings can survive an earthquake.

9. Tikem Gummi Ship Junkie

You know, there's a dam in China that has caused the same exact thing... But still, it's pretty awesome.

10. Mike Chaser

It's pretty scary if you ask me....
    I'm a bit worried about how the world is acting.

11. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

This is terrible news, I did think of Haiti when this was mentioned and I wonder if they have any connection at all, I believe the faultlines have indirect contact with each other.

And a shift in the axis? This doesn't sound good for us... With changes I t the axis even slight can have dramatic effect on the temperature, magnetic field and more. I pray it isn't that bad.

12. Mike Chaser

And yet it's so amazing how this is happening right near 2012.

13. Styx That's me inside your head.

Earthquakes have always been happening, man.

14. Mike Chaser

Well I was just saying that due to the shift of it's axis.

15. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

Ah, don't worry I thought the same thing at first when I heard Haiti, Chile, Japan something didn't feel right. Oh well, need more data to even assess if such a magnitude could affect the world that incredibly, so I won't say it's 2012 related until proven otherwise.

Ah, don't worry I thought the same thing at first when I heard Haiti, Chile, Japan something didn't feel right. Oh well, need more data to even assess if such a magnitude could affect the world that incredibly, so I won't say it's 2012 related until proven otherwise.

16. The Twin My, what a strange duet

Can someone refresh my memory here and remind me just where The Ring of Fire is? I want to say it's kind of in the general vicinity of Hawaii, Japan and stuff, but I feel like Haiti and Chile really aren't right there. I just know it's in the Pacific.

17. February Destiny Islands Resident

Heard today, that another country had a 5.9 earthquake, but can't remember the name of the country..
    2012 ? don't think so, though it is all rather suspicious..