"You Should Only Talk to People on the Internet if You're Being Culturally Insensitive"

Discussion in 'The Spam Zone' started by A Zebra, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

I started using that term due to it being used already in the thread/articles posted in the thread. It didn't have any significant meaning beyond shorthand.

2. Nate_River Hollow Bastion Committee

I'm personally offended no one alerted me to this so I could come in and call you all cunts

I'm allowed to. It says so on my Australian Birth Certificate.

3. Menos Grande Kingdom Keeper

In portuguese works the same way "pegar" can be pick/catch/have sex , I thought of coger, because there are many countries that speak spanish, but only there coger has this meaning (so a cultural thing).
    Line (of people standing in line) is also "Fila" In Brazil, but "Bicha" in Portugal (that has an ill homossexual conotation in Brazil).

Anyway, I've always just "laughed" and explained the situation, It is not up to me to change the cultural background from someone.

4. Patman Bof

Oh, I see. Even a country as tiny as France has quite a broad range of regional slang. Back when my grandma was at school anyone caught not speaking in French was punished, but before that each region had its own language. They still do, some of them are just more alive than the others. It' s still strong in the region I grew in (Catalan is still officially spoken in a third of Spain) and has permeated the locals' idioms. Enough for me to be mocked or not understood one bit when I spoke to people from another region.