Who owns the rights to Sora?

Discussion in 'General & Upcoming Kingdom Hearts' started by nobodynerd100, Feb 3, 2010.

?

Who owns the rights to Sora?

1. Disney

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  2. Square

34 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Both

13 vote(s)
    25.5%
  1. nobodynerd100 Traverse Town Homebody

This question has been on my mind, but not just Sora I'm talking about all the characters that were made just for the games who owns them? I know that Disney owns the characters from their works, and Square owns the characters from their games.

When it comes to characters like Sora, it gets confusing I've heard that Disney owns them, let in my opinion it would make since that the people in Square created them they should own them.

I just want to know what your opinion is on, "Who owns the original characters from the Kingdom Hearts games?"

2. Day~Dream Kingdom Keeper

None of the above, I own him.

anyway, I'm guessing Square?

3. mudstripe Twilight Town Denizen

I'm pretty sure that Square owns him. Wasn't Square just borrowing the rights to some of the Disney characters for the game? Disney doesn't actually own the rights to the game, therefore they don't own Sora.

4. SUPERSMASHDRAKE Traverse Town Homebody

I think both. All the official art of Sora has (C) Disney at the bottom.

5. Shift Chaser

Disney owns him, and every original character of KH, even though it was Nomura creation.

No surprise though, Disney owns like half of the world >_>

6. kingdom_hearts_soras_girl Destiny Islands Resident

yeah but Disney always puts the (c) Disney on everything that has any relation to Disney. but Square mainly owns him cuz Nomura works for Square and he created most of the popular games that Square owns. plus Square was around longer than Disney Interactive. so...

7. ^_^zexion's real wife^_^ Traverse Town Homebody

it's square because noruma created sora disney owns the charaters from all disney classics.

8. Vladimir Makarov Gummi Ship Junkie

Square. They made the game, after all.

9. Clear_so_you_can't_See Traverse Town Homebody

I guess both because Square made Sora but Disney distributes the products containing Sora.

10. La Sofa ('_')-l3 No worries

I think Square does, but due to the fact that he's in a half disney game, Square has limitations to what they can do with him.

11. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

I would think this largely depends on the specifics of the contract between Disney and Squeenix. Citing the latter's joint work with Nintendo in the past, I would assume that all characters created by Square Enix belong to Square Enix, be it wholly or partially, but that each installment of Kingdom Hearts in general depends on both Square Enix and Disney green-lighting it.

12. Umiyuri Papaeyra Gummi Ship Junkie

Disney and SQUARE ENIX seem to have equal shares. He's got icons on Disney websites and you can buy KH merch in the Japanese branch of the Disney Store. And SQUARE ENIX also sell dolls and jewellery. But while SE credit Disney next to all of their items for sale, I've not yet seen Disney credit SE on a lot of the stuff. And let's remember the early footage of KHII has a Disney copyright floating in the corner, with SE's only credit being on the game logo itself.

So... I dunno.

13. ShibuyaGato Transformation

Square owns all of the characters made Exclusively for KH since Disney is only involved in the Worlds.

Sora might belong to Disney since his KH1 outfit has similarities to Mickey Mouse's original outfit in color and style but other than that he should (if he doesn't already) belong to square.
    Sora:[​IMG]
    Mickey Mouse:[​IMG]

14. P Banned

When the topic of a KH cartoon was being thrown around, I think it was mentioned that Sora belongs to Disney.

15. nasirrich King's Apprentice

I'll end you on the spot so watch your six
    I think Sora is Squares cause when you start the game I think its states something like it says so and so are disney (without the so and so) and so and so who are from ff belongs to there rightful owners. Like namorua cause he created them.

16. Twilight Blaze Merlin's Housekeeper

Since it's moslty disney in KH, I would say Square all the way! Ther created the keyblade..... and they created every single new character. (Such as Riku)

Diseny said that they wanted Donald to be the main character in this game, though Nomura created Sora. So it's Square that owns the rights to him.

17. Kaidron Blaze Kingdom Keeper

The Gale Valleys, before the darkness attacks...
    he was purly made by square enix and appers in no disney movies and thus belongs to square enix

18. #8-Axel Merlin's Housekeeper

I think square should own him it is there character but his partners donald and goofy would go to disney 'cause that who made them.

19. Shadox D. Twilight Town Denizen

i think both because both square enix and disney worked in unison to make one game... if that makes any sense to you guys...

20. Fayt-Harkwind Where yo curly mustache at?

Square-Enix does. They created Sora for the purpose of the series only and you don't see Sora at Disney Land and Disney World either which is a sign Disney don't own him, cause they didn't design him and claim the copyrights for him. But if Square-Enix ever has to give Sora's copyright out I'd say Disney would be the next owner if not then he'll be in public domain eventually (but that's a long time away from now). I think Nomura might be the copyright holder for him unless he's already signed Sora away to the company.