...well that's unpleasant

Discussion in 'The Spam Zone' started by Hayabusa, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Hayabusa Venomous

Was randomly reading up about monsters in Silent Hill 3 when I came across this description of what the Scrapers are a symbol of:

There is a running theme of maternity and femininity in Silent Hill 3 and its monsters due to the central conflict of the game centering on impregnation in the cult's attempts to force Heather to birth their god. The combination of the Scraper's title, his clothing, and his weapons may be seen as symbolism of abortion: "Scraper" here referring to scraping out the unborn fetus; rubber gloves, a mask, and a smock being reminiscent of surgical attire; and the long, sharp weapons being exaggerated imagery of abortion tools.

And here I was just thinking they were obsessed cult dudes with giant knives.

2. burnitup Still the Best 1973

Silent Hill is kinda messed up like that.

3. Hayabusa Venomous

And I fucking love it for that.

NO NOT YOU HOMECOMING OR DOWNPOUR

YOU GET OUT OF HERE

YOU TOO MOVIES

4. burnitup Still the Best 1973

You know what's sad? If they had done the soldier protag idea better and made monsters to reflect that idea, then Homecoming might have been good.

5. Patman Bof

Wait ... they look like monsters to you ? xD

I dunno, the spider mannequin was kinda cool from a symbolic standpoint (selfie generation yay). Butchered execution though.

6. Hayabusa Venomous

"lol nah let's just rip off the second game and do more of the cult stuff but screw it up terribly and why is this dude even a soldier lol"

Don't worry, it's just a joke!

Scarlett? Yeah, and the Schism too, and the bosses. Half of the monster designs and most of the soundtrack are good. The rest of the game is just plain bad and/or lazy.

7. burnitup Still the Best 1973

Isn't it revealed he wasn't actually in the army? I kind of forgot because I've been trying to erase that game from my memory but if I am correct then that kind of defeats the purpose of the combat system cause the reason he was a soldier was to justify the new combat system.

Speaking of which, ever play Spec Ops: The Line? Because the player character's decent into madness would probably fit really well in a Silent Hill game.

8. Patman Bof

Oh yeah, Scarlet was a spider too. Agreed, but that' s the one I had in mind :

9. Hayabusa Venomous

Pretty sure that at least one ending shows that Alex was just crazy, in essence making the game also a rip off of Jacob's Ladder (which the games were already partly inspired by but never lifted directly from in writing.)

Not yet, been meaning to get it.

Ehhh, I'd maybe like it more if there was any coherent theme to it than "lol spider monster thats face splits open"

10. burnitup Still the Best 1973

Can you imagine the sort of crazy monsters that would pop in Silent Hill if a guy with PTSD came into town.

Gameplay is pretty meh, story is where it is at.

11. Hayabusa Venomous

I can just imagine a loud noise randomly triggering the Otherworld. Monsters shaped like firearms. Distorted orders that play as you're alone. Walking through a facility of POW-themed monsters that can't attack you but that you need to attack to progress. Constantly hearing how many rounds are in whatever gun you're using.

I've heard the gameplay is meant to be meh, to help convey the point of the story. No spoilers though please. I'll play it eventually.

12. Patman Bof

Err ... vanity ?

13. Hayabusa Venomous

The question mark makes it clear that not much actual thinking went into the design :p

14. Patman Bof

Its theme was pretty obvious to me actually, but apparently you don' t see it.
    It' s a monster that takes the latest fad (pretty face) that pops up and makes it its own. Literally.

15. Hayabusa Venomous

I did see it. It's theme is so obvious...there's not much else to the design. Like you said, it had a botched execution. The location that it appears in, the music that plays (far as I can remember), the multi-legged nature, all just seems so lazy.

I worded my response badly, I'll admit. What I detailed here is what I meant by "coherent." Making sure that you don't add elements that don't add to, or even worse, distract from, the intended purpose.

16. burnitup Still the Best 1973

The air raid siren that cues the Otherworld can still be around, seems fitting.

Got it.

17. Trigger hewwo uwu

I got Silent Hill Origins for PS2 a couple weeks ago and I haven't played it yet. Is it good?

18. Arch Mana Knight

Before I clicked the spoiler I figured out what they were by their name. Unpleasant indeed.

19. Hayabusa Venomous

Still need to play it myself. I've heard that the retcons to the other games' stories are pretty dumb, but it's not terrible, and you get to play as a trucker so

Also where'd you find your copy?

20. Trigger hewwo uwu

Why would they retcon things from good stories wtf

I ordered it used from Amazon :v