Square-Enix TWEWY: What the ESP'er Rank has to do with the story

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Light-Rune Maven, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Light-Rune Maven Seer

So, I had an idea awhile back, and I thought i'd post it for all of you to see.
    I am not a master wordsmith and may say something in a really stupid way that implies a different meaning.
    Be forewarned that this is but conjecture based on facts within the game itself.
    You probably figured it would be but i'm just making sure.

Anyway,
    It's notated within the game that the Reapers really do get points for erasing players and whatnot. So this means "Points" do exist in the Universe of the World Ends with You. But, how exactly? You could make lot's of assumptions, but the best way to narrow it down to a few, would be to look at the ranking system itself.

In the game, ESP'er points are gained from successful reductions, buying items over 10,000 yen, playing Tin Pin slammer with real people, and running into different entities in mingle mode.
    Battles, purchases, and mingle mode encounters each get 1 point per 1 success, and winning a Tin Pin match will get you three. As the games Secret reports focus on Souls and the science of them, it doesn't really take too much knowledge from these to figure that points are likely relatively small pieces of soul which, due to the nature of the interaction involved, were absorbed into another persons (Don't ask me about the spending money one, I have no clue). Presumably, the more points you gain, the more you expand your soul (Personal energy output). This can be shown through the ranks:

Only Human: E (0 - 99 ESP'er Points)
    Spoon-bender: E (100 - 199 ESP'er Points)
    Supernatural: D (200 - 299 ESP'er Points)
    Master Player: C (300 - 499 ESP'er Points)
    Reaper: C (500 - 999 ESP'er Points)
    Conductor: B (1000 - 1999 ESP'er Points)
    Composer: B (2000 - 2999 ESP'er Points)

There are more ranks, but I'm just going to stop there as anything beyond B is irrelevant to the idea.

As everyone is no doubt now wondering what the heck this has to do with the story, I will finally get on with it.
    On the Seventh day of the Third week, Neku uses a noise Pin, which should be impossible as only Reapers should be able to do that. Of course, we knew he was OP, just not why. In the earlier reports, It's stated that while unstable, the Soul Neku gives off is immense. Considering that the game's ranking system is really for the game and not the characters themselves, this could put Neku's points while still Alive somewhere in the late E's to early D's, nevermind the power boost that comes from advancing to another plane. For all we Know, Neku could've started the game as a Master Player.
    Even if he was only a rank D, it stands to reason that with a starting point such as that, it wouldn't be unrealistic to rack up enough points to hit the Reaper rank after 3 weeks of point gathering. The basic idea is that while most other players go back to life or become reapers after 1 or 2 weeks, Neku spent a whole 3 weeks gaining power (and through the harmonizer pin, focus) that most spiritual beings, including reapers, haven't reached. You also have to consider that most of the reapers were made into reapers, so most of them were forcibly tuned to that level. It's pretty much what the wings are for, and it really the only thing that defines reapers from player under normal circumstances(that and their organizational position). Neku is a kind of... natural born reaper, as his power would have grown to that level through his own abilities. So of course he doesn't have wings, but he is quite powerful all the same. It's also likely that considering who all he beat, he probably has already reached the conductor rank.

Anyway, these are just thoughts, and I had more but I'm too lazy to remember them. I'll probably post about 'em later.

EDIT: I don't believe that I'm as brilliant as people around me say. To that end, I'd like some feedback on this idea.

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  2. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

Not to ignore the rest of your post but this is usually a bad sign. If it doesn't fit into the hypothesis in its entirety, it probably wasn't intentional. I like the idea, but I think Neku using the Rhyme pin was a special occasion because it wasn't an ordinary Noise pin. On the other hand, it may very well be that anyone can use Noise pins, but typically only Reapers have the mental capacity, which would exemplify how special Neku is. Other people need a power boost, he doesn't.

3. Light-Rune Maven Seer

I understand where you're coming from, but I wasn't saying that the following ranks don't support the idea, merely that they were irrelevant. I merely didn't have anything to say about Angel, Fallen Angel, etc. The noise pin being special is certainly a possibility, but it could also be that Neku's own mentality towards Rhyme is what made it special.