To play or not to play

Discussion in 'The Spam Zone' started by Iskandar, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Iskandar King of Conquerors

I feel like playing KOTOR and heck, even KOTOR 2, but it's impressively difficult to not play those games without using a little handicap called cheating. I mean come on, in KOTOR you only get to lv20, so there are some stats that you just can't get up all the way that you need, but you just need to do some options over others, and in KOTOR 2; well, I think that game's history speaks for itself. Maybe I should download that patch that's online to try and get it working better.

2. Amaury Legendary Hero

Play it because.

3. Iskandar King of Conquerors

Obviously you've never played KOTOR 2

4. Amaury Legendary Hero

Nope.

5. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

Here comes Misty

6. Iskandar King of Conquerors

Hey, I checked, and I'm perfectly fine at my 5 limit.....for once

7. Misty gimme kiss

I'M HERE

They're not tough games at all. Even the highest difficulty is pretty easy, to the point where people have released mods to make it harder. They do require you to actively examine your play style and level and class your character accordingly, but if you don't want to do that you should probably just stay away from RPGs in general. KotOR II is interesting too because it adds the different lightsaber forms, which you can swap between in battle, but you can also just leave it in Shii-Cho the whole time and you'll do fine.

First of all, don't level up your characters as soon as you get enough experience. Leveling up your character will restore your health, so it can be useful to save them for battle and use them rather than wasting Med Pacs or Force Points. Secondly, compose your party well; you're going to waste your level up points if you're trying to make just your player character proficient in every single skill possible. Pay attention to class skills and compose your party so that you have the basics covered -- I was usually served well by taking Bastila with me (mostly because she's my girl but also as a support role since she's got massive Force abilities, good at healing, and decent Awareness) and Mission (Security, Stealth, and Demolitions). Obviously Bastila can use her lightsaber but keep Mission on a blaster since she's low on health. I tend to go a Scout/Counselor build for my player character with that party composition, since that gives me useful class skills and I'm a nice blend of Force powers and offensive abilities. Put all your damn points into Persuade, too, it'll save you a lot of time. Leveling things like Constitution etc. (I think they call them Attributes?) is pretty easy, like give Mission Dexterity to help her with demolitions, upgrade your Strength, Bastila's Constitution, etc. KotOR II is even easier because you can make everyone a Jedi and Jedi are OP in these games.

For combat, leave the setting active where it pauses after every turn -- that way, you can give orders out individually to your party, and keep track of everyone's health. Use your queue wisely, don't just slap Flurry on there six hundred times and expect to do well. Unlocking abilities isn't difficult either, just specialize your characters accordingly -- if you're playing light side, don't use dark side powers, don't bother giving Mission melee abilities if you're keeping a blaster in her hands, etc. Don't ever use auto-level up either. If you can't beat the game at level 20, you're doing something wrong.

8. Iskandar King of Conquerors

More than Jedi, dual-wielding is OP, especially in the second game. No level cap and dual-wielding makes more a very easy game in KOTOR 2.

9. Misty gimme kiss

I'm partial to dual-wielding in KotOR I and dual-bladed in KotOR II but that's mostly for player character headcanons than stat reasons. You can get abilities that minimize the hit for dual-wielding and dual-bladed lightsabers are just badass.

10. Iskandar King of Conquerors

I've always done for dual-wielding and double-bladed weapons, but I think this time around, I might just try to go it with only one sword/saber. I'm going to see how far I can get without any cheats....minus money, since I can't help but get that gear right away and not worry about it. Old habits die hard, especially with KOTOR. Still not sure about KOTOR 2 though. I could try and get the TSLRCM mod for KOTOR 2, but I don't know exactly what they've added/changed to it. The only thing I'm really interested in for KOTOR 2 is playing a second time and choosing the canon option of Revan being a male and having the cameo of Bastila. Other than that, KOTOR 2 was a really big letdown, gameplay and story wise, not too mention most of the characters were incredibly boring no matter how far you got in their chats

11. Misty gimme kiss

Spoiler your posts!!

Money is pretty easy to get too, as long as you do your side quests and sell off whatever equipment/armor you don't need -- and I'm a very generous player (I give away all my money to beggars). The TSLRCM is pretty much mandatory to enjoy KotOR II, it gets a lot more philosophical and looks way deeper into morality than KotOR I (which is rather shallow). That's not for everyone and it took me time to realize what a gem it is, but if you're feeling let down by it, definitely give it a go with the TSLRCM. It adds a shitload.

I actually really love most all the characters in KotOR II, it's a strong group in both games but you're able to get more into backstories with KotOR II. They're all sort of misfits and each one has been broken, in some way, by the Mandalorian Wars; it's fascinating to see them come together and the group dynamics (imo) are much stronger than KotOR I. Kreia is one of the most important characters in video game and Star Wars history, Atton has a great backstory, Bao-Dur is awesome, and the leading ladies are really strong too (Visas, Mira, and Brianna). I loathe Mical, though. Plus HK-47 is way funnier in KotOR II (his Bastila impression? omg).