The Lounge: Official Spamzone Community Thread

Discussion in 'The Spam Zone' started by DigitalAtlas, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Laurence_Fox Chaser

Not to put a downer on things, but actual people go to commit suicide in that forest to the point the Japanese government has put all sorts of signs up in said forest to try and convince people otherwise. It's a real thing that Hollywood is trying to cash in on. Not that I have high expectations from Hollywood or anything but making money off of real people killing themselves.

Go see Deadpool instead.

EDIT:

Here's a thing that explains why The Forest is terrible.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  2. 61 No. B

posting an opinion piece that you feel validates your personal outrage doesnt really explain why something is terrible

im not going to see it because i dont like horror. and im also not going to see deadpool because i dont like things i dont like, which is the also the only reason you have for not seeing the forest. trying to say something is terrible by pointing to the villainous "Hollywood" and feigning some kind of moral high-ground based on internet-age sensitivity? for shame.

3. Laurence_Fox Chaser

I never had the intention of trying to 'feign the moral high-ground'. All I sought to do was educate and inform. Which is all I ever really seek to do. I would appreciate not having words put into my mouth or for interpretations that are off-base. I don't like that the forest(the movie) exists because it ignores the cultural outlook on those with mental illnesses in the country of its setting.

There's a very real stigma surrounding mental illness. There's a very real stigma surrounding suicide. These are topics that we'd rather not acknowledge and when we, as humans, do acknowledge them, it's to ridicule and mock. Granted we've made leaps and bounds in the study of psychology since the 1960s but the stigma still exists. Because it disrupts people's lives. Because it's not normal.

You can call it 'internet-age sensitivity' all you like when it's actually being a respectable human being. When you consider what ramifications your actions and words have on another person. It is something that is in drastically short supply these days or made fun of. 'Oh no. I worry about if what I say will hurt someone.' as opposed to 'lol i'm gonna say this thing and not worry about the impact it has on this other person.'

I've tried to commit suicide. I have thoughts about harming myself on a regular basis. I have friends who have tried to kill themselves. I don't like it when movies/television/etc. cheapens it to a punchline or accompanied by cheap jump scares.

As for the Deadpool line, I could have easily said: 'Go see literally any other movie.' But Deadpool was the one I was thinking of. Replace it with any other title besides Fifty Shades of Grey and the point would still stand.

4. Hyuge ✧ [[ Fairy Queen ]]

What if I wanted to see Fifty Shades of Grey?

Also, @Scarred Nobody, Golden Time was way more psychologically torturesome.

5. 61 No. B

filthy frank is basically adventure time

id ask why

6. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

But it did that in a good way.

plus i'm coco for Kouko's puffs

7. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

Except with a cringey following that doesn't understand satirical humor for the most part.

8. 61 No. B

i like to think he's manipulated his following into being part of the joke. the filthy frank experience doesnt stop when the video ends, it stops after youve read the comments and laughed at the entire thing. its so many layers of meme and satire that its either brilliant or the most beautiful coincidence ever. for every "wake me up" and every "cancer" post i read i come to life a little more. but i wont watch that chin chin sacrifice ****. thats cringe i cant handle. thats real cringe.

9. Patman Bof

Speaking of satirical humor, posting just to flaunt my new avy.[DOUBLEPOST=1455232018][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Omagad *wheez* *wheez*
    I' m literally rolling on the floor, crying of laughter.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  10. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

While I do agree that suicide is a VERY serious topic and should be treated as such, it is very hard for me to sit here quietly when people get outraged about one specific topic, but completely numb themselves to another that is of equal impact (considering both have to do with death). We (and by we I mean a lot of westernized culture, and I specifically say westernized because it is the only one I really know) have a degree of blood lust. Take any form of "entertainment". Video games, movies, TV, music, hell even sports to a degree are centered around violence. If something that has to do with suicide being portrayed on the big screen is wrong, why do we turn a blind eye to mass murder and destruction? The sad truth is, its because a lot of us like it and we are too damn proud or self righteous to admit it.

Of course there are going to be people who avoid violence at all costs because they just don't like it. However, some of the movies I have seen over the past 5-10 years that I thought were excellent had TONS of violence and killing. Same thing for video games. It doesn't also have to be first person shooters either. Tons of RPG's, MMO's, MOBA's, etc all have it and nobody gives a damn.

Don't mistake this as me getting up on my ivory tower and implying that I am above the rest of the world that enjoys these things, I just don't pretend to not like things with violence. Think about how hyped some of you get for super hero movies (cool as sh1t btw, ive been loving the recent ones) yeah that shiet has tons of murder.

So I guess what I am saying is, its not that suicide isn't an important topic worth talking about, it is just VERY weird/biased that we ignore other things that are just as tragic.

11. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

I heard The Forest is only a good film if you really like trees.
    But freakin' Natalie Dorner, man.

12. Hayabusa Venomous

The pain of not having HBO.

13. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

She's also not in my deck of Game of Thrones playing cards.
    It's an affront to my honor is what it really is.

14. burnitup Still the Best 1973

Holy ****. Last episode of Volume 3 of RWBY. i... I DIDN'T SIGN UP FOR A FEELS TRIP, ROOSTERTEETH!!!

15. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

@. : tale : . @Calxiyn

The cast of Hamilton will be performing tonight at the Grammy's. While the Grammy's are in Los Angeles, they will be doing their segment from the Richard Rodger's Theater in New York.

I believe they will be performing Alexander Hamilton

16. Plums Wakanda Forever

the korra fic I've been reading the past year finally ended and I am a mess even though I have class in 20 minutes

17. burnitup Still the Best 1973

I always feel that way when I finish watching a show to completion.

18. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Sega is currently offering a bundle of Jet Set Radio, Golden Axe, and Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit (plus DLC) on Steam for free, if anyone is interested.

19. Hayabusa Venomous

Playing Smash online reminded me why I don't play Smash online: cocky Captain Falcons

20. Hayabusa Venomous

In other news this place is just dead now