The Lounge: Official Spamzone Community Thread

Discussion in 'The Spam Zone' started by DigitalAtlas, Jan 3, 2014.

1. 61 No. B

okay
    breaking bad and star wars are basically the best things ever made by humans

2. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

Make a top 5 or ten list. I honestly don't think two things can cover it without me going "ehhhhhhhh" again

3. Patman Bof

Well Vince Gilligan wrote some of the most memorable X Files episodes, so I suspect Breaking Bad would be right up my alley.
    I' m not looking forward to the new X-Files just out of nostalgia, but also because the American political and sociological landscape has changed quite a bit in a couple decades and that series was brilliant at asking just the right questions. The creator certainly seems excited by that prospect.

4. Laurence_Fox Chaser

I am aware some of my favorite characters are problematic. And tragic back stories do not excuse their actions. Explain them yes. But not excuse them. I have problems with almost all of Loki's fans because of this. Comic!Loki was an old jerk with about 1 tooth when I first started reading. A far cry from Hiddleston. But then again, the Loki I played was some crazy hodgepodge of Norse mythos, comic book lore, and mcu. These days I'm playing a sassy wolf who is equally problematic but ...diverting him away from the canon that has turned him into a stupid black and white villain.

I love villains that are written well. If a villain has reasons for being the villain, not just to give the hero something to defeat for glory/to get the girl. Because character complexity is like putting a perfectly cooked steak in front of me. I will devour it.

It's when villains start out great or show great potential for doing so but the writers take away all the character development and reduce them to a flat villain.

And this has happened rather frustratingly with one of my favorite characters. I'll put this behind a cut so I don't bore you with my Teen Wolf rantings.

Okay, so Peter Hale started out as 'The Alpha' but you didn't know it was him. The show had you guessing who it was until you suspected pretty much everyone except the comatose uncle. Is it the vet? Is it the chem teacher? And then the reveal happened, well, Ian Bohen is a wonderful actor who did the reveal oh so brilliantly.

And then Peter's killed but then he starts showing up around Lydia. No one else seems to see him and she seems to be hallucinating or reliving some thing that she's suppressing. And then this ...mystery kid shows up that no one else seems to notice because he's not there. This is Peter's younger self, in hopes of winning Lydia over into helping him. And she does in the end, perhaps in an act of desperation in getting him to leave her alone.

Because he needs help coming back from the dead. And oh boy, I love me some zombie werewolf Peter Hale. Because in seasons 2 and 3, he seems to be helping. In his own way. Acting the anti-hero at least. [ And Ian really fought for Peter to be good but was ultimately denied. ] He looks out for his remaining family, again, in his own way.

And then Season 4 came along, and I loved seeing more of Peter and Ian. But there was so much wrong with Season 4. Most of it centered around the direction they took Peter. Season 4 has led me to believe that Jeff Davis has a rather...kindergarten-esque outlook on his characters. Scott's the Hero. Stiles is the brainy nerd. Kira's the slightly socially awkward but lovable Hero's girlfriend. Lydia's the hot brainy one. etc.

In other words, everyone is the embodiment of a trope and everyone is one-dimensional. Square peg goes in the square hole.

End of season 4 saw Peter in yet another hospital. Where I have no doubt that they are setting him up to snap, yet again. And a re-hash of Season 1 in a less awesome way. At least if Peter is going to be the Big Bad, then that should be the fight to end the series.

tl;dr I am frustrated by terrible writing. I love well written characters in either heroes or villains. And I am frustrated by fans that think tragic backstories excuse actions.

5. Misty gimme kiss

It's not a huge surprise given that it's Nomura's brainchild. It doesn't really leak into Kingdom Hearts, given the lighthearted nature of it, but Nomura is pretty into punk & goth fashion as I recall.
    Definitely recommend, especially if you like X-Files.
    I have a lot of feelings about Skyler -- I definitely agree that she's annoying. But she's also my favorite character.

6. Hiro ✩ Guardian

7. 61 No. B

**** every single person who double spores
    you are an amoral scumbag

8. ShibuyaGato Transformation

WOW Arrow, three simultaneous Dad/Daughter relationships going horribly wrong?
    next thing you know baby Sera's gonna go after her dad like PLEASE WE GET IT ALREADY

9. 61 No. B

The Malcolm/Thea relationship is such a mess at this point that I don't even know what to think about where it's at right now without sitting down and fully articulating my thoughts. And it's not the kind of complex mess where I'm feeling all kinds of emotions, but the kind of mess where they dropped the ball and lost any sense of direction. Aside from that, I actually really like the other two having relationship issues. I would go as far as to say it's the best thing all season, actually. It was about time that Laurel face some repercussions for her behavior, which is absolutely astonishing considering this show, until now, seemed to refuse to admit that she's anything less than a completely infallible bystander victim of circumstance who is totally justified in everything she does. It's a little convenient that not-Talia is having daddy issues at the exact same time, but it works and feels natural so I'm fine with it.

10. burnitup Still the Best 1973

So. Kill La Kill fans. I've seen like five, maybe six episodes of Kill La Kill now and I'm unsure how to feel about it. I honestly don't get all the hype around it, can someone explain it to me?

11. 61 No. B

exam today
    wake up five hours late
    never happened to me before
    immediately leap across the room to check miss policy
    missed exams result in zero and cannot be made up
    fall to the ground in complete shock and horror at the situation wondering how i will climb out of this bottomless hole
    go online to check something completely unrelated
    exam moved to monday

12. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

#rekt

13. 61 No. B

completely

14. Misty gimme kiss

I have SO MANY emotions about KLK, few of which I can articulate, but I believe that episode 7 is the fight club episode which was huge on selling me on it. The major plot doesn't pick up for a little while but the fight club episode really showcases how the show can still be really emotional. The episode wrecked me, basically, in a good way, and it was a similar ride from there. I'd recommend watching to that point before you quit.

15. burnitup Still the Best 1973

Okay. Thank you, Misty. I hope you're right 'cause so far I'm not seeing what makes it so special. And it is kinda dumb.

16. 61 No. B

[​IMG]

17. Misty gimme kiss

I mean, even amidst my love for it, I recognize that it's definitely not for everyone. The humor crosses lines that I'm not okay with sometimes and of course there's the matter of the outfits, and I don't blame people if those things turn them off. I'm also not very into anime so I can't compare it to anything, really. But the music is awesome and I think the animation is extremely satisfying, it's funny and over the top and ridiculous and heartbreaking. Where you're at right now, **** hasn't really gotten real yet -- imo the fight club episode is, like I said, the first time you really realize that there's a very emotional heart to the show. After that it kinda snaps back again, but pretty much everything on from the Naturals Elections I'd include as the 'major plot' of the show & it's around then that I think the show really reaches its stride.

Plus the twists. Ooooh the twists.

I love this because it works as both a reaction image and an explanation.

18. burnitup Still the Best 1973

She's okay, I guess.
    I will stick with it a little while longer then. I didn't care for Gurren Lagann when I started watching it but later on it grew on me. So who knows.

19. lockedongamer Traverse Town Homebody

I'm not too sure about Type-0 HD after playing it for an hour. The camera blurs whenever you move the right stick, the story is convoluted (even in the beginning), and there are way too many characters to keep track of. I'm also not a big fan of military type stories. Does it get better?

20. Misty gimme kiss

I was actually very meh on Satsuki around where you are in the series, too. Now I cry about her on the regular. **** happens.

I've yet to watch Gurren Lagann despite insisting I will, but hey I've rewatched KLK like four times by now.