The Lounge: Official Spamzone Community Thread

Discussion in 'The Spam Zone' started by DigitalAtlas, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Nate_River Hollow Bastion Committee

if for any reason anyone is after a cheap socket 1150 CPU, the new Intel G3258 is pretty baller

2. 61 No. B

Reborn epitomizes everything that I take issue with in shonen manga. It supplants archetypes and tropes for real character exploration and is aware of this. It's all action and gimmick over substance. It's extremely formulaic; the majority of characters are archetypes with no interesting qualities, after a certain point every arc is structured like a tournament (you're not even trying at this point), it has the typical all-powerful shonen macguffin in rings and pacifiers, and to top it off has the extremely tired trope of 'my friends are my power.' What makes it so insulting is that it has interesting ideas that it could explore, but doesn't because doing so would be against proper shonen conventions. The dying will could have been an interesting concept and device had it been used right, but instead it's used to substitute growth, with which the character then learns nothing from afterwards. Raising an unwilling kid to be a mafia boss is a really neat and fun idea, but by the end of the series he is the exact same character as he was in the beginning. Tsuna is one of the worst protags in anything ever -- he not only refuses to grow, but has growth forced on him for the entire series and never learns from it, and never comes to a place where he is capable on his own. A character doesn't have to change when presented the opportunity, but there needs to be something to reinforce why they chose not to, something to show how they've learned from their experiences, but stand by their mentality or ideology or whatever it is they hold up. If by the end of the series Tsuna still did not want to be the boss, that's fine, in fact I think that's the way to go, but he needs to make this decision with some sort of confidence and reason to support it to have something to show for everything he's gone through. At the end he admits that he's totally incapable without Reborn and hasn't changed at all despite everything he's been through and this is somehow supposed to be charming. It even ends with "my friends are my power" or something to that effect and celebrates youth and childhood and all that typical ****. It's like the writer knows how awful his story is, yet thinks it's good because he's doing all the right shonen things.

i may not be articulating my issues very well but i think you get the idea. and i mean i don't want to insult you for liking it, i just don't think it's good at all.

3. Jiku Neon Kingdom Keeper

I liked it when it was a Sunday funny.

4. Hayabusa Venomous

Transformers Prime is so much better than Transformers G1 and any of the live action films. So far Arcee is my favorite character.

Dunno if it beats Beast Wars yet, but it's damn good all the same.

5. 61 No. B

are you watching every tf show?

6. Hayabusa Venomous

Whatever's available on US Netflix, which so far includes Transformers, Beast Wars: Transformers , Transformers: Prime, Transformers Prime Beast Hunters: Predacons Rising, and one that I'm just going to skip: Transformers: Rescue Bots.

7. 61 No. B

ah, i see. of those I've only seen the first season of Beast Wars and some random episodes of Transformers and Prime.

8. ShibuyaGato Transformation

waiting for Guardians of the Galaxy to start
    i really do expect an Age of Ultron TEASER at least (and i want a high quality RDJ/James Spader voiceover at least)

marvel why do you hurt me this way??

9. Nate_River Hollow Bastion Committee

Those tumblr gifs where you think you just need to let the image load but it's actually that over half the frames are missing, so you've ended up with some choppy as **** gif that looks lame

Guys, please stop that.

10. Laurence_Fox Chaser

Been saying the same thing about youtube videos with ten minutes of silence tacked onto the end.

11. ShibuyaGato Transformation

GotG was funny and full of action and just incredible

Probably my new favorite Marvel movie no question
    And Groot is a baby and I need a plush of him asap

12. Hayabusa Venomous

Went with dad and brother to see Lucy. Boy was I right in predicting I'd be disappointed. It felt like a basic action thriller that tried to sound smart, but every time something scientific or philosophical or whatever was spoken or put on screen, I wanted to facepalm. Not to mention, it felt like the movie was spoon feeding tons of information that was obvious to me, using weird intercuts of footage of, say, animals or foreign countries or history or nature or what have you.

Though I do now really want a gritty Mewtwo movie...or just a remake of Mewtwo Strikes Back.

13. Nate_River Hollow Bastion Committee

R rated Pokémon with blood and death and actual plot? Please.

14. 61 No. B

i dont ever want to see that

15. Antidote Façade

It's cool, I can totally see where you're coming from, and at least you've given valid reasons as to why you don't like it. I can't really get in to the whole shonen tropes thing since it's been so long. I guess I worded my original post wrong and it should've been I 'liked' it- I hold it in the same vein as Naruto and Bleach in that I read the manga/watched the anime when I was younger, but now I no longer do. But I did like them at one point. These days I just enjoy playing the Reborn fighting games on the PSP. :v

16. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

I saw a lot of Prime and it really delivered on everything I wanted from a Transformers cartoon[DOUBLEPOST=1406899847][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I mean, its premise is that whole 10% of the brain myth, which is factually incorrect. It was something said figuratively and then.... Heroes was made into a TV show

17. Hayabusa Venomous

I'm really impressed just how dark Prime gets as well. Like, holy crap the episode with Airachnid was basically a horror movie. AWESOME.

I forgave Heroes because they only mentioned the myth like, what, once? While I did like what Lucy's main theme was (knowledge of any kind is good, it just depends on how you use it,) it felt like the film didn't want to commit to being either an action movie or an intellectual film, until like the very last few scenes. That may be fine for some people, but it didn't mesh for me.

18. 61 No. B

somehow i watched an anime series in less than a day. eden of the east.
    whenever i watch something i normally find myself pausing it all the time and checking how much longer I have left but I never did that with this. when every episode ended i had an "it's over already?" moment. although the ending was kinda wtf. may need to watch the last two eps again or something. there's some kinda weirdness going on.

19. Nate_River Hollow Bastion Committee

if anyone is into some good league art, check out ohnips on twitch

srsly this jinx is the reason jinx#1waifu

20. Jiku Neon Kingdom Keeper

Too bad the movies are bad.