The KHV Fitness Challenge Summer 2k16

Discussion in 'The Spam Zone' started by Fearless, May 22, 2016.

1. Hiro ✩ Guardian

I'm not necessarily doing a fitness challenge but as I lack a car I walk to a lot of places and last night there was a dance so I dance at that and now I've tried sticking out my gut and lost a whole 6 inches off it and 5 lbs I'm really proud of myself bc I stand a little taller now too.

2. Hayabusa Venomous

Would you say that you

STAND

PROUD

???

3. Fearless A good and beautiful child

Fearless's Goals - June 5th

Starting Weight: 148 lbs
    Current Weight: 146 lbs
    Goal Weight: 135 lbs

Lost this week: ~1 lb

Secondary Goal: Arms are maybe slightly less flabby? I can do 5 actual push-ups now so that's an improvement. (As opposed to the knee push-ups I was doing before).

Exercise this week: Zombies Run, of course, and push-ups, duh. 2-3km on my pedometer every day I go to work.

Diet this week: Better than last week, but still could use some work. I'm way too tempted by any sweets in the immediate vicinity.

Overall: Still slowly starting to lose weight, but I guess that's better than not losing weight at all/losing it too quickly. They cut back my hours at work slightly so I have a bit more free time for running and exercise (and other stuff), but it does mean I lose a bit of the walking mileage I get at work. We'll see how that works out.

4. Advent 【DRAGON BALLSY】

Really awesome to see something like this catching on around here. I have a couple of suggestions for anyone trying to get fit:

1. Diet is paramount. You'll at best just be spinning your wheels if you exercise and don't diet strictly to complement it. I recommend using Scooby's Custom Fitness Meal Planner to at least give you an idea of how you should be eating to meet your particular goals.
    2. Regular cardio is very important for overall health as well as dat aesthetic. Contrary to popular belief, it does not kill muscle gains as long as you make sure you're eating enough calories. Cardio is something you should be doing whether you're trying to lose fat or build muscle mass. Shoot for at least half an hour of activity when doing cardio, aiming to reach to and maintain a target heart rate appropriate for your age.
    3. Allow yourself one controlled cheat meal every week. (i.e. Have a slice, not half the cake.) This will help you to fight off temptations for the rest of the week. Make sure this meal is planned ahead of time instead of just impulsively decided on.

(I learned basically everything I know about fitness from scooby1961; you should definitely check out his videos if you're trying to get into fitness.)

5. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

HI ADVENT

To add to this, it's important to remember that the idea of a "cheat MEAL" once a week or once every two weeks is incredibly helpful, but people tend to take this too far and change it to a "cheat DAY", which while it is possible to do that and still be healthy, it can cause you to have to overcompensate for it during the next week. I've done both before and the cheat day thing isn't sustainable long term for me, so I had to stop.

Also not saying anyone in this thread actually thinks this, but some posts seem to hint towards it, so I will say this:

Whatever exercise you do WILL NOT burn the fat from that specific area. I've seen too many people say "hey imma do these 100 crunches a day to get rid of my stomach fat", while with good diet and exercise (that being the crunches) that is technically possible, but the majority of that "fat loss" is going to come from diet. When you happen to add cardio into the mix of good eating habits, then you are in business. It's all about what is sustainable long term though, that is crazy important. Otherwise all this hard work and stress is going to be either reversed or halted completely.

One last thing, you don't really need to "buy" anything. Some buff guy on steroids yelling at you for (collectively) 20 hours on a DVD isn't how you lose weight. Move more, eat less crap, find a way to have fun doing it = success.

6. 61 No. B

you have to buy food

7. Fearless A good and beautiful child

Fearless's Goals - June 12th

Starting Weight: 148 lbs
    Current Weight: 146 lbs
    Goal Weight: 135 lbs

Lost this week: 0 lb

Secondary Goal: Arms still kinda flabby, but better maybe? I can do 10 push ups now.

Exercise this week: Zombies Run, of course, and push-ups, duh. 2-3km on my pedometer every day I go to work.

Diet this week: Kinda crap, if I'm honest. My brother was over this week so there was a lot of food in my house

Overall: I've realized that the reason I'm losing weight so slowly is because I'm also putting on muscle, so I'm not going to trim down as quickly as I want. On the bright side, muscles! Overall, though, it's been difficult this week because food, and it's been raining so I can't get out and run as much as I'd like.

8. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

Not saying you shouldn't be doing pushups or that what you are doing in fundamentally wrong, but note what I said in one of my previous posts.

Working out a specific area WILL NOT burn the fat in that area. You (unfortunately) do not get to choose, so if burning excess fat is your goal, then I suggest doing cardio, or if you already are, do more &/or make your workouts more intense. Of course a bad diet can sabotage any good workout routine, so as long as you have a caloric deficit, and are having productive workouts, then you WILL burn fat. Nothing against your pushups or anything, but unless you have a ton of time to spare, I would replace whatever non efficient workout type you do with something that is generally more productive for burning fat.

If you like the pushups, by all means keep doing them, but I suggest throwing some different things in there as well just to keep your heartrate up. My old routine was doing 6+ different exercises with dumbbells, afterwards throwing in weighted crunches, pushups, and whatever else I was feeling (4 sets 10 reps each). This compensated for the fact that I couldn't do more reps of certain exercises, because as soon as it got tough, I switched to something else. This always kept my body working, and when I was done with that I would immediately go do cardio. Granted I had/have time to dedicate to this, so if life is hella busy for you I understand that such things might not be possible. I just don't want you to do "x,y, or z" and it not work out for you, only for you to get discouraged.

If any of this offended you or you think its stupid, feel free to ignore me. Best of luck.