Square-Enix Square Enix to launch cloud gaming service

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by . : tale_wind, Sep 19, 2014.

1. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Square Enix is launching a new cloud gaming service called Shinra Technologies. Beta service in the U.S. and Japan is slated to begin in 2015, the Japanese beta including Space Sweeper, Final Fantasy VII, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Hitman Absolution, Tomb Raider, and the tech demo Agni's Philosophy(!!).

The business will be led by former SE president Yoichi Wada, headquartered in New York City, with offices in Tokyo and Montreal.

More info here.

2. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

Yeahhhh, just a hunch, but this is gonna bomb. Badly. The strat going in is the same one that has caused a lot of other failures in such ventures: "The problem with games isn't the design, it's the tech." Plus dipping your feet in Steam's pool typically doesn't end well, as other company clients have proven. Exceptions being things with an ace up their sleeve, like GOG and its commitment to the DRM-free model.

Thankfully, unless I miss my guess it sounds like this is a sort of side project, at least judging by the people involved. Hopefully Wada's words here don't reflect SE's outlook at large despite his status.

3. Fellangel Bichael May

The puns are so real. Cloud gaming. Shinra Technologies.

In all seriousness, cloud gaming isn't there yet, meaning this probably won't work out too well. However, it doesn't look like they're focusing too much upon it which I'm glad about. Until we get better technology to handle cloud gaming, I think video game companies shouldn't tread upon it too much.