Spring Is Here!

Discussion in 'The Spam Zone' started by Amaury, Mar 20, 2015.

1. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

Anything that actually matters

2. KeybladeSpirit [ENvTuber] [pngTuber]

Calender is also correct. One interesting quirk of the English language is that some words have multiple spellings just like how some words have multiple meanings.

Yes, but why is it based on a date? If it's January 10th and the weather has been consistently spring-like for the past several weeks and is predicted to stay that way for the foreseeable future, why bother with waiting for the arbitrarily chosen date to say that it is spring?

3. Amaury Legendary Hero

As I said, we don't go by the weather, we go by the dates.

A while ago you guys in the Northeast were getting hammered by a lot of snow and record lows while we in the Northwest were having beautiful weather, which is still going on, and record highs because of how the jet stream was moving. What, are we going to say it was spring here and winter there?

4. KeybladeSpirit [ENvTuber] [pngTuber]

But why do we go by dates? That's the question I'm asking.

Well, we say that it's fall in the Southern Hemisphere and spring in the Northern Hemisphere based on the weather. Why not say that it was spring over there and winter over here? You also need to keep in mind that the spring-like weather needs to be consistent. If it's 70 one week and then -5 like usual the next, that's just a freak heat wave, not a seasonal change. If, on the other hand, it continues for over a month and shows no signs of getting cold again until the next fall, it's definitely okay to call it spring.

5. Amaury Legendary Hero

Ask the people who started it all.

Again, it doesn't matter what the weather is. What matters are the dates. And who's to say that, for whatever reason, the spring-type weather disappears the following month?

As an example, they're predicting snow in the mountains the next few days. What, are we now going to say it's winter in the mountains and spring everywhere else? That would make no sense whatsoever.

6. KeybladeSpirit [ENvTuber] [pngTuber]

That's not an answer, that's a cop-out.
    Why? Until you can explain why a couple of numbers on a chart matter more than actual real life observations, your argument isn't going to get through to me.
    That's why consistency is the key. If it doesn't stay that way for the majority of the time until the weather becomes consistently summer-like.

That depends. Is snow in line with what is considered spring-like weather in that climate? Here's how the seasons are: Winter is the coldest, summer is the hottest. Spring is the transitional period from cold to hot, autumn is the transitional period from hot to cold. Why muddle it by saying it's not spring until the day of the Vernal Equinox even though that transitional period from cold to hot began weeks before? And besides, we already say it's spring in the Northern Hemisphere and autumn everywhere else. Why not let go on a region-by-region basis?

7. Amaury Legendary Hero

I give up.

8. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

Yeah, not really. Maybe he is frustrated that you are being so persistent about getting answers (that obviously nobody can give you, because each time you are throwing it right back at him)

The numbers are the constant, the weather isn't. If one season happens to smear into the other, then so be it. Some years that happens, others it doesn't. If you want a more scientific answer than that, don't ask people from a kingdom hearts fan site. I feel like I shouldn't have to explain common sense, but sure.

On a semi unrelated note, the tone you seem to be giving off from this "question" of yours is that you aren't really going to be satisfied with any answer that Amaury gives you, logical or not. That being said, why bother? Seems like a waste of time to me, you (and Amaury as well) could be doing something so much more productive (or fun) than have a "let's see who is right more" argument about weather.

9. Doc Destiny Islands Resident

I'm a spring baby so I love this! <3

10. KeybladeSpirit [ENvTuber] [pngTuber]

But the date of the Vernal Equinox (the official first day of spring) is subject to change. In 1903 it was on the 21st of March, on the 23rd in 1983, and although it's been pretty consistent on the 20th for the past several years, it'll be the 19th sometime in the 2090s. So really neither is constant enough for one to take priority over the other.
    To be honest, I was hoping to see how long it would take for Amaury to argue that it's based on the length of daytime rather than the weather or the date. The Vernal Equinox is what marks the beginning of the time of year when daytime takes up more than half of the day, making Spring the period of time when the length of daytime is both longer than nighttime and continues to get longer until the Summer Solstice, after which the length of daytime remains longer than nighttime but begins to decrease in length.

Really, I just wanted to see how long he'd take to figure out that the solution lay in the definition of spring, not the importance of dates over weather.

11. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

You must not have much to do during the day, i'd hate that tbh.

12. 61 No. B

Great thread, everyone!
    See ya same time next solstice for the exact. same. damn. thing..

13. KeybladeSpirit [ENvTuber] [pngTuber]

Just on Fridays and weekends. I work 10 hours a day, so I usually have Friday off and that leaves me bored if I haven't got anything specific planned.