So I picked up Fire Emblem Awakening

Discussion in 'The Spam Zone' started by Hiro ✩, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Hiro ✩ Guardian

So much has already happened

-Chrom is hot (when I look at him from my character's POV)
    -Marth is a badass and Lissa needs to stop being a fangirl
    -Chrom's already walked in on me bathing and I'm okay with that

2. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

Go Hard Classic mode for the most authentic FE experience.

3. Hiro ✩ Guardian

I'm probably going to for my second Playthrough. Strategy RPGs aren't my best genre so I figured taking it easy would be best for the first one so I could learn.

4. Amaury Legendary Hero

But strategy RPGs are the best!

5. A Zebra Chaser

Play Lunatic+ Classic Mode for the authentic Fire Emblem experience

6. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

You'll spoil yourself. The difficulty spike is extreme. Especially if you start out on Casual mode.
    Hardest difficulty in the series? Right.

You have to beat Lunatic to unlock +.

7. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

I think classic mode is wrong and outdated. There's no reason to reset every time you choose the wrong Square. Rather, there's much more of a story to tell if you lose all but one character in a battle and he picks up and carries every near-corpse out of there and turns into a powerhouse that can sit back and lead the troops while they gain EXP the next battle.

8. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

The developers never intended for players to reset every time someone dies. That is why so many characters are provided in the games. Resetting whenever someone dies is a quirk of the player's play style. In other words, your own inability to adapt to having fewer characters in the long term causes the problem you think exists.

9. Trigger hewwo uwu

Nigga, no. Classic is a very rewarding experience. I was hesitant to play it when I first got Awakening, but I'm glad I did. It made the game much more intense and it really made me think and be careful about what I was doing. I loved it. If you don't like it, that's fine, but don't call it wrong and outdated because many people today still love and enjoy that way of playing the game.

10. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

It's a thing that nearly everyone does, however, is the problem. That is why they gave us this new option, because constant resetting is a big problem for people enjoying the series. It was a good observation to make for the developers and the new mode was a good choice. It doesn't make the game any easier or harder. You're still stuck to the limits of the board.[DOUBLEPOST=1405889433][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Fair enough.

See, I've played both Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. The first, I didn't reset when I lost someone. Lost Boyd, which was a very big loss. Meanwhile, I opted to do what everyone else does when I played Raidant Dawn: reset to prevent death, play it perfectly. And to me... it killed ALL momentum. All of it. I got half way and just didn't care for the routine anymore.

11. Trigger hewwo uwu

And that's fine. I did reset whenever I lost someone in Awakening, but I didn't mind it. I think it just made me better at the game. I had more fun that way. But if it's not for you, then it's not for you. I'm glad they added the casual mode so more people could get into it.

12. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

Casual mode is such a terrible name for that though. It's not casual. It's an entirely different set of difficulty with different rules.

13. Trigger hewwo uwu

I dunno, I think casual is an apt name for it. o: You just wanna play the game casually instead of going with classic and having to deal with losing units if something goes wrong.

14. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

No, I just don't want to have to reset. It's not casual because you still have the same defeat conditions each battle that are easily attainable by the battle itself. I want to be able to lose without having to redo every single step. I'm giving the game a chance to beat me. That's not casual to me.

15. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

Simply put, you are correct about the overall motivation, but completely wrong in your opinion. Casual mode was only accepted to allow a variety of play styles and to allow new players to join the series, while keeping the essence of Fire Emblem in mind.

Casual mode is not intended as a step in a complete transition to a different style of play. While it is an entry level style to spice things up for newcomers and old players alike, its first intention is to allow new players to get used to the games and eventually thrust themselves into the essence of Fire Emblem that is the 'pleasant feeling of tension' Trigger talked about.

From an interview with the devs regarding this topic:
    [DOUBLEPOST=1405890844][/DOUBLEPOST]
    It's casual because the focus of Fire Emblem is long term strategy rather than simply individual battle tactics. Several older games made this more obvious by providing different paths for play, but this is still obvious in Awakening with the presence of the World Map and optional battles such as Paralogues and Challenge maps. Who you level, when you level them, and how much time you take to plan things out has a huge effect on your end game team.

Casual mode takes out the long term perspective and makes it all hinge on the single battle. This is certainly a casual way to play compared to the far-sighted style from Classic mode.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  16. Trigger hewwo uwu

I don't understand what you mean. You don't HAVE to reset when you play Classic. You can lose a teammate and continue on and accept the loss. You don't have to redo anything.

17. A Zebra Chaser

Marry Donnel
    and when you start breeding units, get Galeforce on as many as possible

18. Trigger hewwo uwu

when i played Awakening, i never used Donnel. i kinda want to when i continue my second playthrough :v

19. A Zebra Chaser

Donnel himself isn't that great. Like, definitely not terrible, but his son or daughter? Insanity. ESPECIALLY if you marry Donnel and the Avatar. Every class, great stat potential AND +20% stat growth chance

20. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

Donnel himself is a god, there can be no denying. Immediately after a reclass, he is the most effective unit on the field. Not training him is a shot in your own foot.

Unfortunately, not a lot of people have the resolve to use him.