So apparently stopping sexual assault is bad?

Discussion in 'The Spam Zone' started by Te Deum, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Menos Grande Kingdom Keeper

Hey guys! I have one idea:

2. Nate_River Hollow Bastion Committee

Wow let's all get more offended and opinionated

3. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

I've seen this song linked a lot in similar discussions.... I wonder if people realize this song's choice and why those words were picked...

4. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

I am saying that exceptions are not common enough to change the culture as a whole.

Privilege doesn't hurt anyone. That's a misnomer. Privilege is any circumstance or lack of circumstance that saves one from suffering relative to the circumstances for others. Some of the circumstances surrounding females put them in a position to undergo less suffering than males or be unable to empathize with the suffering of males. You would call that female privilege. Two people can have 'privilege' in various areas of their lives. Fear of sexual assault is one where males have privilege because they experience it, are pressured to it, and generally worry far less than females.

Notice how I use 'males' and 'females'. Groups. Not individuals. I use these generalizations because if you look at the data, there is one factor that correlates heavily with one's fear of sexual assault. It's sex. If I were to play a guessing game where I had to guess someone's sex purely by their fear of sexual assault, my results would be accurate enough to prove my point, especially on the more extreme cases in either direction. I would inevitably get a handful wrong, but that's not important since it does not contradict the correlation to sex itself. Almost no scientific studies have unanimous results. That doesn't make the results unusable. We can still isolate a highly important factor and use it to predict what someone will be like with significantly improved accuracy.

My position comes from culture. Culture is made up of trends. The trends suggest that upon meeting someone who is female, the prudent thing to do is avoid undermining sexual assault as a problem and to avoid making them feel threatened. The trends also suggest that upon meeting someone is male, the prudent thing to do is undermine the seriousness of any kind of violence and establish one's own fearlessness. If someone meets you, they will expect you to adhere to the same standard because it makes sense to them that if you grew up in that culture, you would mirror it. Relative to culture, you are an outlier. The majority of your sex are not like you. It's more likely that your fear is a result of nature more than nurture because it contradicts the trends of nurture. Most cultures nurture women into a position of fear and men into a position of bravado. The US's culture definitely does. You'll have to constantly correct peoples' expectations because culture doesn't care for individuals. It's all about expectations that become self-fulfilling prophecies.

5. Amaury Legendary Hero

Well, this is a serious topic and hard for some.

6. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

There is a sexual assault joke in here somewhere.

7. Amaury Legendary Hero

If there is, it wasn't intentionally done.

8. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

There's another!

9. Amaury Legendary Hero

There were no jokes.