Semi-Interesting Discovery of the Day

Discussion in 'The Spam Zone' started by Scarred Nobody, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

You know that new Christopher Nolan movie that's supposed to be coming out on Friday. Well, I was looking to see if they were having early screenings tomorrow and see if I can make it to, like, a 7:00 showing. Well, it turns out that they're showing it in my town today.

My town is a very small, desert, matters to no one, in the middle of nowhere town. And yet we're getting screenings of this big movie today.

I mean, it's pretty freaking awesome, but...why? I just wanna know why?

2. Hayabusa Venomous

Space adventures know no street date.

3. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

There are no streets in space. Or dates. Time is a construct from the minds of weak flesh, as is pavement. In the end, the void consumes it all.

And now, the weather.

4. Amaury Legendary Hero

Is it currently 55 degrees and cloudy with a chance of rain.

5. Misty gimme kiss

Since Christopher Nolan likes to shoot in film, theaters that can show the movie in 35mm film rather than digital have the opportunity to get it early. He's a big name director so he can get away with that sort of thing. My theater has been showing it since last night. I think it's just a few hundred theaters across the country that are doing it since film has been otherwise completely eliminated from the industry as of this past August.

Fair disclaimer, the movie is probably going to flop. It did really poor sales opening day for the number of theaters it was in ($500k gross my boss told me), and the studio is playing games with it to try to get theaters to hold onto it longer (which, if a movie does well, the theater tries to hold onto it -- they don't have to be forced). Opening weekend will probably be alright thanks to the hype but I think all the people who are properly hyped for it are probably going to an early screening if it's available in their area.

6. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

7. 61 No. B

but... but it looks so good.
    Is it that it's not a good movie or that it's not accessible to general audiences or what? I can see how it wouldn't appeal to a lot of people based on the trailers, but I would think with his name on it, that it would at least do moderately okay.

8. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

Ahh, okay. That's pretty cool.

Yeah, I was talking about that with my dad yesterday actually. I mean, Nolan has the Dark Knight franchise to his name, as well as a legion of fans. However, Big Hero 6 is coming out as well, which will probably have a steady audience. And it's not doing as well on Rotten Tomatoes as most people had hoped (I never trust Rotten Tomatoes, but unfortunately, people around me do).

I hope that i'll be good. I mean, McConaughey has really come far as an actor, and this seems like grade-A Nolan material. Although, Nolan has been known to navel gaze every now and then.

And, hey, my favorite movie of the year totally flopped in the US, so, ehh.[DOUBLEPOST=1415225890][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Let's look at this year's whole spectrum of box office results and overall reviews.

Edge of Tomorrow
    One of the best reviewed movies of the year. It had a great idea, was based off a property that most people hadn't heard of, and has a great cast. If flopped like crazy.

Transformers: Age of Extinction
    One of the worst review movies of the year. It was a sequel to a best selling franchise, had a mediocre cast, and seemed to follow its same track record. A box office hit domestically.

9. Misty gimme kiss

Content-wise I can't really talk about it as I've yet to watch it. Nolan does of course have notoriety for his time at the helm of the Batman ship, which will draw some crowds, and fans of sci-fi will more than likely go too, but those are both pretty limited audiences. Not only that but as Tummer points out, good movie does not always mean good sales. I can see it getting middling to positive reviews, but the movie to see this weekend is Big Hero 6 (which has been coming in with critical acclaim to boot); once Big Hero starts to wane it has another big competitor on the 22nd with The Hunger Games, so it probably won't even draw many teenage crowds.

Unfortunately releasing early in film bisects the crowds; the dedicated fans will go see it early, hurting its opening day sales -- that's good news for small theaters like mine but poor for large chains who can't show it in film. If the reviews come in and aren't great, many people will either pass over the movies for the weekend, go to Big Hero, or bide their time until Mockingjay.

10. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

I cannot echo this enough. Quality stuff is not profitable.

Edge of Tomorrow was amazing. +1 for the Tom Cruise good films list.[DOUBLEPOST=1415227986][/DOUBLEPOST]
    This is that song from Silence of the Lambs! Thank you for showing me.

11. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

So yeah...Interstellar...It's very Nolan, and it's very crazy.

If you're into hard science fiction, you're probably not going to like it.

If you really love movies like Star Wars and Guardians of the Galaxy, you're probably not going not going to like it.

Yeah...this movie is going to flop something crazy.

12. Patman Bof

So ... did you like it ?

Its score on Rotten Tomatoes doesn' t look that bad to me, for all it' s worth, but on that other forum I use there' s like one guy who liked it, everyone else said it' s a snoozer. From what I' ve gathered it piles up scientific explanations for three hours but ... throws all of it away in the finale (spiritual woo twist I presume), and its characters are poodle-deep Spielberg archetypes.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  13. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

Oh, yeah, I liked it. I loved it actually.

I just sometimes like being cryptic before i write a review.

And don't ever mention Rotten Tomatoes in my presence!!

14. Patman Bof

Sorry, bit of a necrobump, but I didn' t want to create a thread in the movie section just for that. Not when that movie is old news.
    Turns out I liked it. The first hour could have easily been cut in half without loosing a damn thing, but it wasn' t outright boring. The second hour was riveting though. Not that I cared much about the characters, it' s what they' re going through at that moment that had my attention.

As for the climax ...
    ... yeah, bit of a woo moment. I' m no scientist but I assume they took huge creative liberties there. Not to mention what few I had read about the movie allowed me to see half of its ending coming from a mile away. It didn' t ruin the movie for me though.