Square-Enix Rise of Mana

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Arch, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Arch Mana Knight

Source: Siliconera

So it's a free-to-play iOS and Android game. Unfortunate but apparently the game features several composers who have worked on the Mana series before. The main highlight of which is Hiroki Kikuta who worked on Secret of Mana's godly soundtrack. Oh and Yoko Shimomura, Kenji Ito, and Tsuyoshi Sekito are also working on the soundtrack. I can't find a good source for this so take it with a grain of salt.

No info on a release outside of Japan. Maybe this game might not be too bad. I don't like the character design but the game looks...not terrible.

2. Antidote Façade

A mobile game that for once isn't a card game or a bare bones SRPG? This doesn't look bad, honestly.

The gameplay looks interesting, the environments are nice enough and it seems like it has a pretty solid battle system.

The fact that it's for iOS/Android and made by Squeenix doesn't give me much hope of it ever seeing the light of day outside Japan though.

3. Splodge Twilight Town Denizen

The game itself doesn't look that bad considering it's for iOS, but I highly doubt that the game will be released any where besides Japan, and Square Enix's previous mobile games have a real tendency to ask for more cash to revive characters and so on. I'm not really sure what to think about it, so we'll just have to wait till it comes out, as there probably won't be any more trailers considering it's an iOS and android game.

4. Shuhbooty moon child

Awww I got excited. I really do like this game, but if its not gunna be released anyone but Japan f u. I love the game play, its 3D and actually has a likable story. Now its time to die. ; ;

5. A Zebra Chaser

I haven't played a Mana game, but I know the series is well loved, so seeing it finally get a sequel and it be using Square Enix's terrible mobile business model must be rough for fans

6. Patman Bof

^ Pretty much this. I don' t mind seeing them make a quick buck with phone remakes, but seeing them use the Mana IP to make an anecdotal social game is a bit depressing. Granted, the Mana series has gone downhill for a while now.

Still, Seiken Densetsu 1 to 4 remain among my favorite games ever. The original Mana concept isn' t wrinkled at all, it would be awesome to give it a spin on modern consoles. Here' s hoping they' ll figure that out eventually.

7. Railos Hollow Bastion Committee

It looks like a really fun game. I wouldn't mind trying it out if it was free, even if it was in Japanese. The only mana game I remember playing was Legend of Mana on the PS1 (I'm not even sure if this is considered a Mana game, btu I loved it nonetheless).

8. Patman Bof

It is. It's the fourth released in the series, although it wasn' t given any number (Seiken Densetsu 4 is actually the fifth entry).

The first Seiken Densetsu was released on the GB, it' s called Mystic Quest in Europe and Final Fantasy Adventure in the US. It also got a GBA remake called Sword of Mana.

The apex of the series was Seiken Densetsu 2 and 3 if you ask me. The second was released on the Snes, its western tittle is Secret of Mana. The third never left Japan be there are fan translations avalaible for Snes emulators.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  9. Railos Hollow Bastion Committee

Interesting, thanks. I should really catch up with the mana series then, if they're as good as or better than Legend of Mana. Which game do you think it would be best to start in?

10. Patman Bof

It' s like Final Fantasy, the games are mostly related through gimmicks. You can pick any game in the series without feeling lost. What made the second and third shine is that you could swap at will between three characters, and give orders to the other two shall the need arise. Or you could play with two friends as a team. They' re ugly compared to LoM though. Graphic-wise and gameplay-wise the closest to LoM would be the GBA remake (Sword Of Mana).

11. Arch Mana Knight

So here's some exciting news though it doesn't deserve it's own thread.

The producer of this game, Masaru Oyamada, wants to make the next entry in the mainline Mana series as the 25th anniversary is coming in 2 years. What do I mean by "mainline"? I mean, Seiken Densetsu 5. He wants to make it a retail game too.

Is this likely to happen? No. Is it impossible? Not if Rise of Mana is popular.

Note: The last main Mana game to come out was Dawn of Mana(Seiken Densetsu 4). That was at the end of 2006.

Source: Siliconera