Overhearing my grandma talk to her friends

Discussion in 'The Spam Zone' started by Lauriam, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

"So I got new internet the other day. The old one was messing up. I mean, I'm used to ads, but I kept getting pop-ups telling me my computer was at a high risk...? So I got the new kind and what's the first thing that pops up? Another thing telling my my computer is at a high risk. Some Norton virus checking stuff out."

Is it wrong that I didn't say anything? XD

2. Arch Mana Knight

Get off my lawn.

3. Loxare Hollow Bastion Committee

I suggest Chrome and Adblock, or Firefox and the Firefox version of Adblock. However, don't let them know you can computer, or they will ask you for every computer question under the sun.

4. kitty_mckechnie I want to hug you like big fuzzy Siberian bear!

If your granny falls for some phishing scam you can say goodbye to your inheritance! ...or at least your Christmas money.

5. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

The truth behind these words is so great ... it hurts. Everyone always wants me to 'take a look' at their computer ... like they don't know something is wrong with it. And then, I fix the bluescreen, I 86 the viruses, I clean everything out, and all I get is a pat on the back. I just did 200+ USD of work for you to click on that free iPad ad again ... I'm like Spiderman, everybody gets one.

This is why I don't trust old people with the internet ... because I can't trust the internet.

Not really ... in fact you probably saved yourself a few hours of explaining. Just wait till she's away from the computer, install adblocker on all the browsers just to be safe. It'd probably be a good idea to go ahead and scan with AVG, MalwareBytes, or whatever anti-virus you like. Then, the next time granny gets on the computer she'll be talking about how it must have been a delay on the internet ... or something ... because the pop-ups are gone. Then you can revel in the fact you did your granny a solid and didn't have to explain a thing.

6. Spike H E R O

Go save your grandmother, you Pooh.

7. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

lol. All of that sounds like some pretty solid advice, except I'm far from computer savvy myself. I might be better than my grandma, but really I have to rely on my dad for everything regarding computer stuff, so I can't help much anyway. Part of the reason I didn't say anything. XD

8. Laurence_Fox Chaser

I cannot stress this enough. I'm like my family's free tech support.

9. KeybladeSpirit [ENvTuber] [pngTuber]

Personally, I'd recommend Google Ultron. NASA uses it because it blocks ads by itself.

10. Mish smiley day!

I really should download an adblock for my Granda. I spent at least an hour this weekend clearing up his laptop. It doesn't help that he refuses to use anything other than IE.

11. Stardust Chaser

Download a new browser and replace the icon with IE's? :'D

12. Mish smiley day!

Ha! Now there's an idea.