One thing I'm noticing with Attack on Titan

Discussion in 'The Spam Zone' started by Iskandar, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

Gee, that kid was swell!

2. Trigger hewwo uwu

nothing is in the basement

how mad would you be

3. burnitup Still the Best 1973

Pretty mad, cause in writing you are not suppose to do that unless it involves some sort of in-universe myth or something (which it does not).

4. Karuta Reborn

attack on what now?

5. Hayabusa Venomous

Attack on this

[​IMG]

6. KeybladeSpirit [ENvTuber] [pngTuber]

More proof that AoT is a ripoff of Evangelion.
    Maybe they should get Stephen King and George R.R. Martin to co-write the rest of the manga too! That should get the whole story finished in no time![DOUBLEPOST=1406920410][/DOUBLEPOST]
    As mad as I was about the safe. Which actually wasn't very. It was mainly the principle of the thing. If you're going to leave a massive safe in the basement of a house you're about to abandon, it's only polite to at least leave a few thousand bucks or something in there. Hell, I would've been happy with a meth lab or something. But no. Just a big ass-spider that probably didn't even get there until well after it was abandoned.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  7. burnitup Still the Best 1973

Karuta, you may need to get glasses.
    With no emo protagonists. And religious symbolism. And kaiju. And giant robots. And pretentiousness. And navel gazing. And- Okay, you know what? Name a thing Eva has and AoT probably doesn't have it.

8. KeybladeSpirit [ENvTuber] [pngTuber]

Evangelion: A whiny protagonist takes control of a giant robot to defend a large armored city against giant monsters while the organization he works for and another related faction are clearly plotting something that is just as bad as what the monsters want. Along for the ride are two very attractive teenaged girls (one of whom he lives with) who help him out when just his giant robot isn't enough. Pretentious symbolism is abundant and relevant to the story while motifs involving Abrahamic mythology serve only to make it look cool.

Also, one really powerful monster is a big reason why the armor on the city works, but even though she's helping them it'll be really bad if they don't keep her under lock and key.

Attack on Titan: : A whiny protagonist becomes a giant monster to defend a large walled territory against giant monsters that are also zombies while the government and another related faction are clearly plotting something that is probably just as bad as what the monsters want. Along for the ride are a very attractive teenaged girl (who he used to live with) and a very pretty dude who help him out when just his giant monster form isn't enough. Pretentious symbolism abundant but subtle while references to Western mythology are scattered throughout.

Also, a bunch of really powerful monsters is what the walls are made of, which is why doing anything to reinforce the walls will do more harm than good.

TL;DR: AoT is just a Bleachier version of Evangelion with a little bit of the magical girl genre and Spider-man mixed in as well.

Next Time: Why the First Kingdom Hearts Game is Obviously a Ripoff of Super Mario 64

9. burnitup Still the Best 1973

Nice reductionism. Though, anyone sad enough could make that exact same argument regarding anything.

For example,

[​IMG]

Also, Eren isn't that whiny as detractors like to make him out to be.

10. KeybladeSpirit [ENvTuber] [pngTuber]

Alright, then what big things make them unique from one another? Hell, some of the more notable Titans are pretty analogous to Angels from Evangelion. Colossal serves the same function as Ramiel, Sonny and Bean represent Sandalphon, the Female Titan Whose Identity Is Obvious As Soon As She Shows Up would work as a pretty decent replacement for Bardiel in an Adeptus Evangelion campaign, , , and obviously .

In the end, you're not going to convince me because there are *a lot* of straws that I can grasp to keep myself feeling like I have a valid point. I'd go into all the similarities between Hanje and Ritsuko, Kensuke and Armin, or Arduino and Toji, but I think you get my point.

To be fair, Guardians of the Galaxy did come first and The Lego Movie is just a more hyper, kiddie, and unsure of what it is version of it. Keep in mind that I'm not saying that being a ripoff makes it bad. It's just a fact of what it is. Really, I think the lesson here is that everything's been thought of, there is no such thing as originality, and the only reason anything is considered "new" or "fresh" and another similar thing is considered a ripoff of the first is that one was made into a reality first.

In the case of Evangelion and AoT, Evangelion did it first (Well okay, Gunbuster did it first, but Eva was made by the same team so I don't really count it as a ripoff) and AoT did it in a different setting roughly fifteen years later and around the time a series of four movie sequels to Evangelion got my favorite mecha anime popular again. Maybe it's not a ripoff, but it's an extremely similar concept that wouldn't exactly be out of place as an Evangelion alternate universe spin-off manga. Come to think of it, The Eren Jaeger Raising Project should totally be a thing.

Speaking as someone who rather enjoys Attack on Titan, yes he is. The guy can't shut up for two seconds about how he's going to kill all the giant zombies. I will admit that Eren's whining is a little more justified than Shinji's*, but that doesn't change the fact that he is a whiny little brat a lot of the time.

*Really, I have no problem admitting that Eren is an overall better character than Shinji, but that's not exactly relevant here.

11. 61 No. B

except peter quill isn't an ordinary nobody. at all. in fact, that's kind of the whole point of him.
    unless they changed that in the movie as well idk i haven't seen it yet.

12. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

American distribution rights are owned by FUNi...?

13. Daenerys Targaryen ok

maybe it's because everyone dies in that anime

14. Loxare Hollow Bastion Committee

The poetical sunset of their life?

15. burnitup Still the Best 1973

Dude, I could make AoT/Pacific Rim comparison based on your logic. Watch:

"Titans serve the function of the kaiju who threaten the existence of humanity. The walls serve the function of the... well, giant walls that are to keep the kaiju out which ultimately fail when one of them breaks down the wall. The Colossal Titan serves the function of Mutavore who breaks down the wall. The Female titan is the female kaiju Otachi who is one of the most dangerous kaiju in the film. Sonny and Bean are obviously stand ins for the baby kaiju that comes out of Otachi, being smaller then their much larger brethren and used for an experiment by the resident monster fan/scientist. And it is obvious ."
    Saw Guardians today actually, beyond very superficial details the two films are completely different.
    You know what? This reminds me of a part in this two part analysis of Cloud Atlas. Check it out you'll see what I mean, it's somewhere in there I don't quite remember at which point.
    That's not whining. Whining does not involve boasting. Whining is complaining feebly. Eren saying he's going to kill all the titans isn't even close to whining.

Now I'm not saying he doesn't whine, he does do that some times, but people tend to blow it way out of proportion or think zeal = whining.
    I didn't make that image, I've seen the movie and I know it is wrong but it is a good example of reductionism.

16. KeybladeSpirit [ENvTuber] [pngTuber]

And I redirect you to:
    In case you can't tell, I'm not being $100% serious anymore.
    Maybe whining doesn't necessarily involve boasting, but boasting can come off as extremely whiny. Eren's "boasting" generally comes off as, "I GOTTA BASH DEYS FOOKIN ED IN CAUSE DEY KILLED ME MUM AND IF I'M NOT THE HERO I'M WORTHLESS," but maybe that's just me reading too much into a work of fiction that tries to be more complex than it is. Oh look, another similarity.

17. burnitup Still the Best 1973

I read that part, I wasn't trying to convince you I was just pointing out the logical fallacy.

I don't think it is trying to be more complex then it really is.

18. Daenerys Targaryen ok

the day is ending like their lives are ending

19. Jube Formerly Chuck's

Who in the world thinks Titan is trying to be complex?
    It's a manga about people surviving against giants. There's also political drama.
    Honestly if you think Evangelion and Titan are anywhere close to being the same then you've probably watched about 3 shows in your entire life.

20. What? 『 music is freedom 』

I believe this series is about a bunch of human colonists mining methane on the Saturnian moon and being attacked by the locals?