Square-Enix Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII Announced

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by libregkd, Aug 31, 2012.

1. A Zebra Chaser

Pretty extensive new trailer

2. A Zebra Chaser

The demo is out now ifyou want to heck the game out for yourself
    the PS3 demo even comes with a piece of DLC

3. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

But... Crisis Core is where we learn that she's the absolute worst person ever

I enjoyed the combat quite a bit here.

4. A Zebra Chaser

What? Crisis Core is the only reason I care about Arih at all, it made me retroactively sad she died in 7

5. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

Except that Zack was dead for like a few days before she replaces him with Cloud... and never really mourns.... even though she was his dying thought.

6. A Zebra Chaser

A few days? It was a few months after he died that she met Cloud, and it had been a few YEARS since she had heard from him. And all they did was go on a couple dates

7. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

Guys, Lightning Returns thread, please try and keep on topic.

8. Cloud3514 Kingdom Keeper

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
    So Lightning Returns doesn't play itself. Its already better than the last two games!

9. ReverofEnola King's Apprentice

Yeah I got tired of that too. However, I am going to miss party members but I guess the her dresses make up for it.

10. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

Combat feels a bit strange, it's like as soon as I am ready to combo or really flow moves together I have to wait to do something. Feels slightly weird to have class costumes in one character, but at least it's an immediate change. I feel really heavy when not attacking or guarding, like i'm staring at the enemy. Overall, if it expands more in the main agme, could be enjoyable, if slightly annoying that I have to wait mid battles. Costumes does feel a bit, cosplay fan service ish and not a needed game mechanic.
    As usual the graphics are nice, they can do cutscenes and stuff well, if a bit cliched at times.
    In terms of story, characters, etc. Yeah.... not great, a demo but from what i've read and seen the rest doesn't really improve over time. That's what turns me off most about these games, totally mad.
    Also, this online business thing never worked for me.

11. A Zebra Chaser

I'll never get the costume hate. It's the same job system we've seen in plenty of FF and FF-esque games. But now suddenly it's a big deal and unneeded?

Honestly a bit disappointed that the game DOES still play itself. Why can't it just be a button masher? Holding down the button to attack constantly is REALLY unsatisfying
    Story is bonkers, I'm okay with that

12. Cloud3514 Kingdom Keeper

At least your input actually matters now as opposed to just mashing Auto-Battle.

13. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

It's more that it was a party mechanic before, where now it's one person, the dynamic is a lot less strategy focused. Feels a bit weird to magically transform costumes for classes mid battle, because it's centred around the slow filling up gauge to do moves,. But I suppose having no class change at all and staring at your enemy for an extra five seconds to just slash and wait again would've been more frustrating, so i'm alright with it.
    It's more the intention that bothers me. It feels like a mechanic designed around the costumes than the costumes being designed around the mechanic. I can bet Toriyama wanted a reason for Lightning to dress up and built this reason around it. There seems many other visual changes that could've been made to Lightning when she changes class than simply a new set of fan service clothes, much more impressive ones. I get if they're trying to appeal to the fans, but when the director is that fan, that's when a game can be compromised for fan service over other things. That interview about Toriyama marrying Lightning seems to be a possible case for it.

14. Fellangel Bichael May

More liek Costume Simulator 2013

All seriousness though, I played the demo and I thoroughly enjoyed the combat mechanics of XIII. I originally criticized the game for being more of a "fanservice" FF game than anything else, but I realized how much the costumes are focused on in the game as they are used more for combat than visual appearance (both is nice doe). It's really nice how each costume matches the theme and the movesets of each one. Being a mix of a hack-n-slash and classic RPG fighting, I'm enjoying the game much more. Cannot wait for the game once it launches in February.

15. libregkd -

16. Cloud3514 Kingdom Keeper

In the abridged form, the story almost makes sense! No mention of the fact that Barthandelus's entire plan relies on the party doing everything he tells them to or that nothing would have happened if the party did nothing. Or in layman's terms, no mention of the fact that the only winning move is to not play.

17. A Zebra Chaser

They basically reduced it back down the the SNES era, when plots were a bit on the nose, but fully functional and logical!

18. EvilMan_89 Code Master

that retrospective was pretty cool. even though they left out quite a lot, it was a fun watch

19. A Zebra Chaser

But was any of what they left out actually important?

20. A Zebra Chaser

Okay, not that it's much of a surprise or anything, but Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD will include vouchers for the Spira's Summoner garb