Let's Talk About Zero Suit Samus

Discussion in 'The Spam Zone' started by Hayabusa, Apr 23, 2014.

1. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

FALSE.

Sakamoto has been on record saying that Other M never deleted Prime from the continuity and he never intended to. He has never been on record saying that Prime wasn't canon, but rather he's been on record that the world will feel different than Prime. He was describing the setting, not the timeline. Prime is canon.[DOUBLEPOST=1398397288][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I can't. Other M's narrative is crap because of a terrible localization helmed by Sakamoto himself as wel las Sakamoto's script. Other M has amazing combat, visuals, and the Bottle Ship, while stupidly named, is a great idea for a setting.

2. A Zebra Chaser

I'm sorry, most of OtherM's narrative issues transcend language barriers. The localization might have made it worse, but it was terrible right off the bat. I think amazing combat is overselling it a bit, too, but to each his own.
    Bottle Ship is a TERRIBLE setting. You literally go through levels with roughly the depth of a MARIO game. Fire World, Grass World, etc.
    And there's another awful bit nobody seems to ever bring up
    Those incredibly stupid moments before the boss fights where you have to look around like an idiot to find the thing that triggers the cutscene that starts the battle

3. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

I'm so glad that Metroid Prime never did that. I'm glad that Bottle Ship was a poor excuse to have that in a cramped setting.

As far as the language stuff goes, dude, you have nooo idea. You think The Baby was annoying? Good news, it was never said in the Japanese version. Sakamoto helmed the english script trying Kojima the thing and he really screw it.

4. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

...so pretty deep then

5. burnitup Still the Best 1973

Man, Kojima made Metroid sounds interesting.

6. A Zebra Chaser

Tell me more about the hidden meaning behind every second world being the desert world
    Okay? And in Japan was Samus' freakout of seeing Ridley actually some sort of warding hex? What about the authorization thing? Other M has problems beyond when words are spoken.

7. burnitup Still the Best 1973

Like the abusive relationship between Samus and Adam.

8. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

Again, culture differences.The Ridley freakout scene I won't try to defend, but I will with the hell run. There are actual military regulations where if a PMC or private operator comes onto the scene of a government operation, they have to restrain their usage of weaponry to what the commanding officer of the government operation allows. The only time a PMC can disobey this rule is with life endangering situations. So, you'd think the hell run would be a case right? Well, yes- it would be permitted even. But this is Samus. She's trying to be a badass. She entered the scene trying to take charge of Adam's operation- standing up to him. She's going to play by his rules and show she can do it anyway because she was a heroic and stoic girl who did not fear death.

Do not think this means I like Other M or anything outside of the combat and the control. I think it needed many things to improve it to a decent narrative like comm chatter and a localization team that was ACTUALLY FAMILIAR WITH THE AREA THEY WERE LOCALIZING. I'm just saying there is justification.[DOUBLEPOST=1398405254][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Which leads me to this...

The hell run scene shows that Adam see's the same things in Samus that the player was supposed to see during that scene- heroic, badass, and courageous. He does and permits her gear because he cares about her and doesn't want to see her do that again.

9. Hayabusa Venomous

Oh, my bad ._.

They can probably like, compact themselves in her suit? I honestly don't care enough to think about it that hard, and I really don't get the bias against fictional characters looking attractive while doing cool things. This isn't something new, and I hardly feel that high heels are the worst things that could have happened to Samus (again, Other M happened.) But, you said yourself that you make exceptions, so why not just let this go?

10. A Zebra Chaser

I'm just going to pass this off to someone more qualified to debate this, rather than clumsily try to parrot him:

11. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

I've seen Gaming Brit COUNTLESS times. I'm friends with many Gather your Party people. Try again. Tell me what you think. Not what someone told you to think.

12. Hayabusa Venomous

But...I don't mind variety in a game's world ._.

I just started watching the video, but I still agree with what you've said. I think Hatok should have just said "this is a pretty neat opinion" and state what parts he agrees with specifically ._.

13. A Zebra Chaser

I feel what he feels, he's just more familiar with the franchise and can express it better. I don't have anything to add that he hasn't besides I quit the game when I reached a pre-boss Where's Waldo and couldn't trigger the boss after about half an hour

That's not variety at all though. Those are the oldest video game game level cliches.
    I was actually originally going to link a specific part of the video, but I started watching the video to find the part I was looking for the part I had in mind, and realized it basically covered every point I was trying to address anyways

14. Hayabusa Venomous

Uh...that is variety. Whether you like it or not, it's variety. Cliches exist because they work.

15. A Zebra Chaser

Good use of cliches works. These are designed specifically to just be generic areas. They have the depth of original trilogy Star Wars planets, "Oh it's a forest planet, oh, it's a desert planet, oh it's an ice planet"
    Previous Metroid games have used cliches before but done it a lot BETTER, but my favourite Metroid, Prime 3, was actually just creative
    What makes this worse is that Metroid Fusion, a GBA game, had these same cliche environments, but did them BETTER and there were MORE of them... on the Gameboy Advance!
    Just blindly saying all variety is good variety isn't healthy for a game

16. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

So you were bad at scoping the area for lues and quit the game. Got it. It's your fault then and you just disliek the deisgn practice.

That's actually the definition of variety... What you want is a fresh setting all together. If you're looking for that, try a different Nintendo franchise or a different medium. Can only really do so many settings. What we need is fresh interpretations of those settings like Mario Galaxy or Resident Evil 4 or... OTHER M?!?!?!!? Yes, Other M did it in a fresh way by making them all very cramp- making you feel like you were still in a spaceship, but appreciating the illusion is put on.

17. Hayabusa Venomous

So...I'm still right. I don't mind if you were to have said that you wanted better levels, but to simply label levels that you didn't like as lacking variety is to ignore the definition of variety. A lava world being in the same game as an ice world? Oh hey that seems like variety to me.

18. A Zebra Chaser

When literally going through the screen bit by bit doesn't cause ANYTHING to happen, it's dumb. It's immersion breaking. Why is Samus just randomly standing still for 30 minutes?

But variety isn't created equal. The issue with the space ship theme is that it ends up with the levels TRYING to feel like cliches. I can appreciate that a little on a meta level, but it feels more like a lack of creativity. I expect more variety out of a game made recently than a game made 30 years ago.
    And I DO try different mediums. Metroid USED to be one of the ones that weren't bad offenders about this.
    You're just using variety one way and I'm using it another. I encounter fire levels, forest levels and such so often that it's NOT variety to me. Within the game itself it's variety, but in terms of video games as a whole, it most certainly is not. It's a lazy cliche, for when you can't be bothered to actually design something creative with it. It's such a cliche that there's no way I'd catch myself calling it 'varied'
    A lava world and an ice world together? That's not novel at all, heck Mario Galaxy at least had the decency to inject some life into the concept by making it a fire AND ice level at the same time
    I'm trying to think of an analogy.
    If you went to a store, and they had a whole bunch of different brands of the exact same kind of serial, you wouldn't say "This store has GREAT cereal variety!" would you? But if they had a bunch of different flavours you'd say it has good variety, probably.
    Fire level, ice level, etc are the generic cereal in this analogy. Sure, you can argue that they're all variety, but on a grander scale they're ALL the same

19. Hayabusa Venomous

Then maybe

Just maybe

You should have said what you meant by variety.

20. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

This is absurd. As the gens have gone on, variety has decreased. In Okami, there were just green fields everywhere. Bioshock was one room over and over with a different layout and Portal was all white walls. Fallout 3 is all one desert. The fact is the beginning of this medium had some of the most talented thinkers making experiences with limits and they did well.