Is RIku's fighting pose a sign of darkness?

Discussion in 'General & Upcoming Kingdom Hearts' started by DanceWaterDance, Feb 21, 2014.

1. DanceWaterDance Twilight Town Denizen

I noticed a thing: before being possessed by Ansem, Riku's fighting pose wasn't the know we know, with the blade on the shoulders, and you can notice that if you fight against him on Destiny Island. Then, after being possessed by Ansem, he "inherited" that fighting pose. I also noticed that most of people related to darkness have the blade on the shoulders when fighting: Sephiroth, Vanitas, Young Xehanort. What do you think?

2. Jin うごかないで

What do you mean "Blade on the shoulder" could you like take a few screen shots because I notice it on Sephiroth and Xehanort but not on VanitasTo be honest, at the time that Vanitas got his appearance and fighting stance, was the time when Riku and Sora were kids to be honest. and if you remember in the black and white cutscene of when they were kids and were sword fighting Riku held the same stance back then so I think that; at that point when Sora wanted to be like Riku. Vanitas manifested Sora's apperance but also the Ideal Fighter that sora wanted to be which in this case would have been Riku at the time. But I could be wrong this is only my own theory on Vanitas' fighting pose.

3. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

...Whoa. Headcanon totally accepted.

Before BbS came out, the entire fandom had latched onto how Vanitas had the same fighting stance as Riku, and nobody could come up with a really good explanation. You, sir, I believe, have done it. My best guess was "lol darkness???"

4. ShibuyaGato Transformation

That actually makes a lot of sense.

And yeah, I can understand how you'd assume Riku's stance is a sign of his dark prowess but I think that's just his natural stance. If you recall, when Sora and Riku were kids the fights were pretty intense and both of them always gave it their all. When it comes to the fights at the beginning of KH1, Riku almost seems to fight Sora for kicks, and doesn't start getting into it until you've knocked his health down a bit. Throughout the whole of the Destiny Islands sequence, Riku is carefree and just wants to chill before everyone embarks on their grand adventure, so it's safe to assume that the more "laid back" stance is a sign of this lackadaisical attitude. His stance has been the same since he was about five years old, so it's not likely that he'd start using a new style ten years later when the fights mattered more than ever.

As for the common stance between Vanitas, Sephy, YX and Riku, I think I have an idea of where it came about -- though for the purpose of this theory, let's forget about Sephiroth since his stance is more or less the same as in FFVII. Where did both Riku and YX live as young kids? The Destiny Islands. And consider this, who taught Riku or YX to fight in the first place? Maybe Riku's father gave him sparring lessons as a kid, or maybe he and Sora just did it for fun, but what I'm thinking is that there's gotta be a swordsman of some sort on the islands. Now of course a while passes between both their departures, but maybe it was a family owned place. Or maybe the guy got old but continued to teach. Maybe he just tells the youngins he teaches to find a comfortable battle stance. Maybe YX mastered that stance and the guy then offered to teach whatever worked best for Riku. While this is all speculation, just how many of Destiny Islands' adult residents have we seen in this series? And on top of that, how often do you see older guys teaching the protag how to fight? It's not entirely out of the question when you think about it.
    And then, when Xehanort got old and took on a more suitable apprentice than Ven, he may very well have just taught him the same stance. After all, how self-aware did Van look when he first emerged? He would've just absorbed the lessons MX gave him like a sponge before becoming an echo of the old geezer and his ambitions.

The Riku and Young Nort thing is all just BSing on my end, but the Old Nort and Van thing is what I believe to truly be canon.

5. Patman Bof

If I am to believe this it' s a stance sacrificing defense for offense. Makes going for the head easier.

Sora would have the most polyvalent pose. Aqua and Terra are the most laid back in appearance, trying to lull the oponent into making the first move.

As for Ven, lol, stances ? What is that for ?

6. Oblivion Keeper Banned

At KH1's first fight with Riku (Destiny Islands) only Sora seemed to be taking it seriously. Riku didn't. While the idea is pretty cool actually I don't believe that any of Ansem's possessions of Riku influenced his fighting style except maybe in the guise of his knack for darkness and dark abilities. That's just my take though.

7. Ty Traverse Town Homebody

I agree with this completely. I always thought of Vanitas as a "perfect" Sora, but failed to reach his full potential due to his incompletion.

As for the theory, I feel like the story is leaving Riku's dark days behind after KH3D and now could focus on the temptations Sora might face after failing the MoME. To make things short, I do not believe Riku's fighting stance has any implications on what's to come.

8. A Zebra Chaser

I've actually written a really long deconstruction of each keyblade fighting stance, and you're pretty much on the money. Riku/Xehanort/Vanitas use a stance that makes defense far mroe difficult but is very offensively powerful. Sora uses a stance that is fairly versatile, but is ideal for defense, being in a position where guarding would require less movement. Terra Aqua and Ventus all have more defiend fighting styles, since they aren't self taught. Terra's style is built around guards (hence his association with stone) so you're right on the money there. Aqua is interesting though, her stance is kidna similar to a fencing stance, but more significantly, as far as I can tell it's completely impractical for combat... which would make sense, since she relies on magic primarily. Ventus' style is a backhanded stance often associated with Assassins. It's meant to be used with daggers, which would explain why Ventus gets the shortest range keyblades. His stance, which is meant to be supported by light armour, encourages freedom of movement, mirroring Ven's speedy style.

On the subject at hand, Vanitas, Xehanort, Riku and Repliku (or so I'm told) all have different variations of the same stance. I'm sure there's a connection, but wwe'll only know what that is when KH3 comes out. My bet is time travel.
    (Also Sephiroth's stance is nothing like Riku, Xehanort or Vanitas')

9. Patman Bof

I thought his backwards stance could have a purpose, the same purpose you just suggested. But then I remembered his frequent habit of twirling his keyblade around, for no good reason I can think of, and thought maybe he just doesn' t give a damn. XD

10. A Zebra Chaser

I'd imagine the twirling is related to his affinity for wind

11. Shuhbooty moon child

This is my theory also. D:

I also agreen hatoks analysis. There was legit meaning before sora &riku even thought about anything serious. (If they even did) in their own fighting styles.

12. Jin うごかないで

WOW! I never thought my theory would catch on so fast. Honestly I've been holding this theory of mine in for quite a while now due to thinking I'd just get laughed at but I'm glad so many people agree with my theory on Riku & Vanitas having the same fighting stance. Honestly when I logged on today and saw so many people quoting my theory and liking it, It was the highlight of the day for me so thank you!

13. DanceWaterDance Twilight Town Denizen

Well it's similar but he wield the sword with 2 hand instead of one

14. Jin うごかないで

Still isn't simmilar though. Sephiroth holds his to his face for more defense against anyone who attacks him where as riku's stance is for pure offense advantage his right hand. Honestly the only simmilarity is that they both hold their weapon above shoulder level they're nothing a like though honestly. But if anything their designs are simmilar I would honestly say at this point that Riku's design must have taken inspiration slightly from sephiroth.

15. A Zebra Chaser

It's worth noting Sephiroth has two official stances. The over the shoulder one, and one more akin to Terra's

16. Jin うごかないで

That actually makes me think both of them must have had a bit of inspiration from sephiroth but I can't say that myself. But yeah I didn't know that he had a different stance Could you post? because even if I search it on google it doesn't come up with anything diffrent.

17. A Zebra Chaser

18. Jin うごかないで

Ah I see now how did I forget that..I used to play dissidia all the time but I used to play mostly as squall or zidane. Anyways much apreciated.