Help Intrusive Popup Ads?

Discussion in 'Feedback & Assistance' started by A Zebra, Apr 12, 2014.

1. A Zebra Chaser

Right, so I have adblock off on this site because I like the whole "people making money for their work" thing
    But I just got a REALLY intrusive popup ad from Telus. A loud video ad that came up when I was in another tab, what's more, it seems to have actually disabled my ability to play other videos while it was playing. It paused my current video and wouldn't let me resume it until I found the ad and closed it.
    I like supporting this site, and others, but if it's going to directly hamper my browsing experience I'm gonna have to turn adblock on
    I don't suppose anyone knows anything about this? Maybe there's a way to stop just the intrusive ad, either on my end or the staff's?

2. Misty gimme kiss

Our ads are served exclusively through AdSense, who does not offer popup ads to my knowledge. I doubt that Jon has changed this especially without notifying me, nor have I had any popup ads from this site. You should check your computer for malware, but I will of course investigate things on our end. Also if there was a particular thread or page you got the ad on that would be helpful.

3. A Zebra Chaser

Just the Spam Zone general page, and if it helps, it seems like it was connected to a normal adsense ad. Like I said, it was a Telus ad, and there was a corresponding Telus banner on the top of the page

4. Misty gimme kiss

Interesting. I don't think we opted in for popup ads so I'll have a look at AdSense and see if there's anything on their end. Sadly though decisions about ads are out of my hands oftentimes.