I want to drop my calculus class

Discussion in 'Help with Life' started by . : tale_wind, Mar 31, 2015.

1. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Somewhere earlier on this semester, I started getting behind in the class, and that feeling has only intensified each day of class. Even when I feel like I'm starting to grasp concepts while working in class, the teacher will pass out a quiz and I realize I don't understand it at all.

Some of this is my fault, I admit--the teacher posts video notes online that we're supposed to watch and copy to be ready for the next class, and my track record with those is spotty. Another problem is that I had a bit of a break between my senior year pre-calc-lite class and this calculus class; this is the class that the school's math placement test told me I should take, and I went with it despite my misgivings. But the fact of the matter is that I'm failing the class hard.

The biggest obstacle to me dropping or not dropping is my parents, my mom in particular. She's of the mindset that when you're failing a class, you don't give up; you do assignments you've missed, you retake tests, you ask for extra credit, you work harder on getting assignments done... This class doesn't allow for retakes. I know all the extra credit opportunities, and they're not enough. The teacher doesn't accept late work. I'm just so far behind in the class' concepts. And this isn't even getting into the problem with the number of credits and such. Not to mention that I know, even if my parents don't say, that they want me at home and not busy as little as possible. I'm the family's high school graduate doing the least with my life, still living at home and unemployed, with no solid plan for my future, and I feel like it wears on my parents. They have high standards already, and my older siblings haven't exactly set an easy bar.

Math is my least favorite core subject. I dread going to the class. I go in each day with the mindset and goal of just enduring it. It's bringing my GPA (and my emotional health, I'm willing to bet) down. But I feel like I'm stuck between a rock--my failing grade and dislike for the subject--and a hard place--my parents' stubbornness and standards.

2. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

Problem is, if you just outright fail the class (unless this somehow gives you something emotionally) there is really nothing good that comes out of it. If you are being effected by this class and there is really 'no way' for you to turn it around, then there is no point in taking it anymore. Sit your parents down, explain your side of the story (parents love it when you are open with them) and just see what happens. I scored almost perfect in my states standardized tests pretty much across the board, and yet I failed a couple classes my Junior year of high school. If you aren't in the right mindset (I sure as heck wasn't), the only thing you are going to get form that class is a letter on a piece of paper, which is worse than failing in my opinion.

So just try to collect yourself and see what you can do with this.

3. Misty gimme kiss

There's absolutely no shame in dropping a class. The thing your parents have to understand is that college doesn't operate like high school; because you're paying to go, rather than receiving a compulsory education, the professors really don't give a **** whether you pass or not. Some are nice and offer extra credit opportunities, retakes, etc., but most don't. If you fall behind, you fall behind, and at a certain point -- which, halfway into the semester might be -- you can't turn that around.

And that's okay. The first semester of college is rough, adjusting to the new format of classes and homework and learning to motivate yourself. You need time to figure out how to be a student again, because what flew in high school might be a total disaster now. I always remind friends and acquaintances that it's okay to drop a class, especially your first few semesters, while you're still figuring out your ideal workload. My first semester I dropped a Public Speaking course for a variety of reasons, but a major one being that I was taking six classes and just going bananas trying to keep up with all of them. Once I did, it was a workload I didn't have to worry about, and I started to do better in the classes that I could now dedicate more time to. I was also in a similar situation to you that semester -- I was taking Calculus and having a really tough time of it. I'd start to understand things in class and occasionally in the homework, but come test time, I was lost. I managed to scrape by with a C+ (which dragged down my GPA that semester), but as an English/Education major, I really didn't need to be taking Calculus at all. I was placed in it because I'd taken Calculus in high school, but the math requirement could have been filled by other, easier classes.

It's sweet of you to want to please and impress your parents, but not at the cost of yourself. If you choose to drop the class, you will probably have to tell them (especially if they know you're struggling in it and they check up on your schooling), but you're an adult in college now. Be upfront and adult with them -- you were struggling in the class, there was nothing you could do to pass, and you dropped it so you could focus on your other courses. It's not a decision you made lightly and you've learned a lot from it; come time to take another math course (whether it's Calc or you're able to take something else better suited to you -- I found Statistics enjoyable), you will do better.

Good luck!

4. Patman Bof

I guess it depends what it is you want to do with your life. Dunno if it' s the case in the US as well, but good math/science grades are a master pass here, they open every door.

I was lagging behind as well at some point, couldn' t keep up anymore. My parents hired a private teacher two hours a week for a few months, that was enough for me to score a decent grade at my finals. You should explain to your parents that you' re fighting an uphill battle, too many things you' ve failed to grasp along the years. Without a little help chances are will alone won' t lead you far. Maybe one of your siblings could do something about it ?

5. Sara Tea Drinker

When I took algebra in high school I went in a month late because I transferred from a horrible teacher who really didn't teach you anything.

I utterly failed that class in every way possible, I finished 50% of my final and I'm sure that 90% of the answers I did fill in were wrong. It took me three hours to do a 90 minute test. (I had more time because of my disability.)

I passed with a D. And it was the best, proudest grade I ever had in my life.

The teacher passed me because every single moment I wasn't in class or in study hall I was in that classroom with him trying to learn the concepts that were way beyond my comprehension at the time. I fought for every inch and he saw me try to do so, he worked hard with me but I was so lost before it even began I would never catch up. But it depends on the teacher, you have to be able to want to work for every inch that you need to pass, but your teacher either has to be willing to help and/or be good enough/flexible enough to really teach or you have to find tutors who are willing to help you. Math, even algebra can be brutally hard when the teacher's teaching style doesn't match yours. It took me three tutors and two separate classes (the second teacher was horrible also which REALLY didn't help.) to get algebra. I even tutored a bit of it later on after I nailed down the concept.

It sounds like your teacher isn't a good match and though you need the class, it might not be the best choice to keep with it especially as you're getting frustrated about it. I would take a step back, get some tutoring without the pressure of the class, and then take another shot at it with another teacher. When you find the right teacher, you'll be amazed how much of a difference it is. I thought I'd never like math, that I would never understand it. Jeff Yopp was my college tutor who worked with me for hours to teach me how much math can be fun and entertaining, how it makes you think. He literally challenged me not with problems, but seeing the depth of why you do every step and why it's important. You'd be amazed, by the end of my algebra class, I wanted to go and buy every book he mentioned because of how fascinating math became.

6. 61 No. B

This is something that I'm working with now as well. I'm not eager to drop, I'd much rather tough it out and hope for the best, but putting whatever pride aside and weighing your options after vehemently denying the possibility of dropping for so long can make obvious what is actually best for you. If it's a matter of killing or saving your gpa, well, the answer's right there.

7. GhettoXemnas literally dead inside

if you're in college drop that **** like its the more fire mixtape you ever made

and then sign up for the easiest math class they offer whenever that becomes available, no reason to take calc if you don't need it for your major, because chances are unless you're an aspiring engineer you can get by with one of those easy math classes that focuses on random concepts from like geometry and completely forgoes things like algebra and beyond.