I need help here

Discussion in 'The Spam Zone' started by Iskandar, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Iskandar King of Conquerors

Someone, anyone, tell me if Bravely Second is worth playing. I keep thinking about it and wondering if it's really worth buying, and now I've looked up reviews, and more importantly, gameplay videos of the game, and I understand why people say its cringe-worthy. The music is semi-decent, but the writing is just....well, I can try to ignore the 8-year old style of writing, but what the heck is up with the jokes? I mean come on, 40 minutes in and I just saw a power rangers explosion scene!! Fricken power rangers!! What in the name of all bad jokes and pop-culture references were the writers thinking!?

2. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

Not to be rude (and by this I mean this isn't really directed to you personally, more so the collective group of people as a whole) but it really depends on how much of a stick you have shoved up your arse. I've found games to be really worth playing that were only what I would rate a 7-8 out of 10. Not everything has to be the best game ever. Sometimes I find it fun to just sit down with a new game and just see where it goes. It really depends on how hard you are to please, and what you budget actually is. If you just wanna try it out and can afford, I say go for it. Its about the experience, at least for me.

3. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

It's got a free demo you can download to try it out.

4. Iskandar King of Conquerors

Interestingly I actually did end up buying it at Gamestop just because I wanted to try it on my own. The script does still make me cringe....as well as the stupid power ranger thing, but I'm willing to still give it a shot. And even if I don't like it, I can still trade it within the week for something else worth the same price.

Also, really just depends on the day XD. Heck, I liked Glory of Hercules, and found it to be one of my favorite games of all time, and quite possibly my favorite DS game, and it's not exactly way up there on the scoreboard either. I just needed a second opinion outside of someone who was trying to review it. Sometimes subjective is a little more useful than objective, especially if personalities are similar

I kept thinking about it, but I didn't feel like waiting to play a 10 hour (or so they say) demo just to buy the game and try it out.

5. Shuhbooty moon child

Honestly the demo is at your disposal and if you're looking for a person to influence you to "buy the game" then why not 'waste' your time playing it?? I don't go by ratings anymore because turns out the games that had crappy rates- ended up being games I loved. Exploring different game genres is the best thing you can do for yourself. If it looks interesting to YOU then get it. What could honestly happy? You didn't like it. End of story. Don't let that scare you off. Take the leap my friend! (I personally have not play the Bravely Default series, however I would love to try them out myself. I just don't have the funds and just replay the demos)

6. Stardust Chaser

I definitely appreciate well-written games but honestly so long as the rest of the game is solid, I find a certain level of charm in awful dialogue (see: Mega Man). I mean hell, Kingdom Hearts has aggressively bad writing lol.

anyhoo hope you enjoy your new game

7. Iskandar King of Conquerors

I fail to see the meaning in this. I personally like the writing in KH, but that's just me.

After just finishing the prologue, which actually took me a good 3 hours or so, I have seen enough bad pop-culture references to see in a lifetime. Seriously, they don't even hide the fact that they use Star Wars' "these aren't the droids you're looking for." Just substitute "droids" for "intruders" and there you go. It just bugs me, because the most it is is a way for them to segue into changing encounter rates, and there's nothing about it again, besides Tiz somehow using the force for about 2 seconds.

I'm trying my best to ignore it, but it just bugs me when stuff like that has no meaning to the plot, and they use it as a part of the plot.

8. Stardust Chaser

Well I do too, in a way? But the dialogue has always been incredibly cheesy, to say nothing of the crazy, convoluted story. But again, I'm kinda fond of it.

I'm not trying to claim there's zero merit in there, either. Personally I think there are some good characters in the mix (as well as not so good ones...).

All I was trying to express was that, by virtue of being here, I'd argue people who don't appreciate the writing in KH are a testament to the game's strengths. Like as for myself, maybe I think Kingdom Hearts is cheesy, but I still loved it enough to seek out a fan community & stick around for years, haha. But perhaps I'm alone on that front.

Right back at you, though; I'm partial to games that don't take themselves altogether seriously & I think I prefer something whimsical by way of lazy/stupid writing to something grim that falls flat or lacks personality, so :v. Regardless, the important question in any game is whether or not you're having fun playing it. If the writing ruins that for you, then that's that.

9. Iskandar King of Conquerors

It's hard to view something as ruined just by poor writing though. When you're looking at a game, there's plenty more to it, like the music, the graphics, and gameplay, and other things. It's just if you mess up in one area, you better be able to make up for it in others. And if you mess up badly enough, you've ruined that whole balance about what makes a good game. At least to me.

And I'd also like to point out (semi jokingly): Where is the great Linked Horizon music from before? Dang it, I hear it once and never again so far. I'm going to have to mute my game now and play the versions on my computer every time I use a special attack

10. Stardust Chaser

Uhh okay, this is basically what I was saying initially though? You just seemed pretty upset about the writing, lol.

11. Hayabusa Venomous

I am so, so very confused by this statement...a review is literally just a more detailed opinion.

12. Iskandar King of Conquerors

If it is what you just said, than I didn't fully understand what you said. Lately I read blocks of text and the meaning passes me by. I blame all the reading from my classes.