I Feel I'm Totally Screwed

Discussion in 'Help with Life' started by Scarred Nobody, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

I feel it’s better I just cut to the chase: I got a D in one of my classes. I’ve been struggling with school for well over a year now, and I feel it’s pretty much caught up with me. My parents have been really riding me, pointing out that the only thing I do is school, so I shouldn’t be having a hard time. To be honest, I hate my major.

I changed to accounting for one reason: it’s a much easier way to work for a place that has health insurance. I’ve found other silver linings in going for this, but I just don’t feel any sense of motivation to keep going with it. I know that it sounds completely selfish and illogical, seeing that I need a really good and stable job if I want to stay alive.

And then I was told by my parents that if I didn’t pass this semester, my health insurance would just be gone. I’m their dependent, and since I’m disabled, my insurance shouldn’t be taken away until I’m a little bit older (I think), college or not. And I don’t know how my grades effect the idea that I should not get health insurance at all.

I’m mostly sure my parents were just bluffing about me losing my insurance, but it scares me that they would use that to try to “motivate” me. I can either get good grades, or not afford the medications that I absolutely NEED to stay alive.

I’m just really afraid of their reaction to telling the news as well. I know that there will be screaming, and I won’t be allowed to say anything. Anything that I want to say will just be an excuse to them, nothing more. They don't believe that I have any kind of depression because, according to them, I have no reason to be depressed (and they don't believe in it being biological). I can’t just hide the news, and I also can’t just run away, even though I’ve been tempted to.

I really don’t know what to do. Everyone says to not sweat the small stuff; everyone fails a class every now and again. My situation is different though, and I’m scared of what the outcome might be. If you have any advice, or know any way of helping me, that would be really great.a

2. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

Part of your story really feels like reading about what happened to me before graduating with my degree. I certainly went through a long part of my time at college hating everything about it (struggling with my classes, my first major, certain professors for what I considered pathetic attempts at teaching). It was basically a very depressing time for me, and for the longest time, I thought I'd never get my bachelor's degree. But my family actually stood by me the whole time, assuring me that they'd always support me, regardless of what grades I got. Honestly, if it wasn't for them, I'm not sure I would've made it this far. And here I am, four months after graduating with a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Engineering, my worries about college all behind me.

If classes appear too hard, I would say focus on at least achieving the minimum requirements to pass classes and graduate. As for your parents, I'm actually shocked they said something like that. I'm sure they had their reasons, and want you to succeed, but I don't necessarily think what they said about your health insurance was the right thing to say. Anyway, never give up hope. I know exactly how you feel, and I understand why it may seem like the end of the world, but trust me, no matter how long it takes, I know you'll succeed.