Fourth of July

Discussion in 'The Spam Zone' started by Amaury, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Amaury Legendary Hero

The city did a controlled burn in order to prepare for the annual Fourth of July fireworks show and now they canceled it and moved it to New Year's Eve--they say postponement, but I'm just considering--it canceled because a bunch of concerned citizens had to voice their opinions and the city listened.

Why was it canceled? Because conditions are hot and dry and there's a high risk of wildfire danger, as already seen by Wenatchee and Quincy, though those were human-caused. Um, hello? Every Fourth of July has been hot and dry, but there are always firetrucks on standby, which means it's impossible for any potential fire to get out of control. In addition, on July 4, 2013, there were heavy winds, and yet they continued on with the show then. That was more dangerous.

People are cowards. What they fail to realize is that the fire danger is just about the same because now people will do fireworks illegally.

2. Laurence_Fox Chaser

I'm thinking of a word that starts with the letter 'd' and sounds like doubt.

3. Amaury Legendary Hero

What about doubt?

Just in case you missed my edit, see above. It's probably higher than if the professionals did it because people are stupid.

4. Laurence_Fox Chaser

You missed what I was trying to do. I apologize. Maybe I should be more straight forward.

You know there's a drought right? Those fire trucks you mentioned might not have the water needed for a thing that can be prevented by just canceling the event in the first place.

5. Stardust Chaser

I agree that it's better that professionals are involved with fireworks (granted any illegal fireworks would probably be fairly isolated, not on the scale of a planned show), but...

I don't think that's necessarily true.

6. Arch Mana Knight

Actually it's not even close to remotely true. Fires can and will always get out of control. Every. Single. Time.

7. Patman Bof

Yeah I was about to say that. Doesn' t mean it has to end badly but risk zero doesn' t exist.

Which one is it ? xD
    Nevermind. Weren' t they gonna fire them either way ?
    I' ve bought plenty or firecrackers for July 14 in my teens, it wasn' t to keep' em in a locker because "city show not canceled".

8. Amaury Legendary Hero

A friend of mine explained on FB that firetrucks waiting at the fireworks show take away from what they could be doing if an actual emergency arises.

@Laurence_Fox, despite what our governor says, I refuse to agree we have a drought in Washington. One year without significant snow pack won't kill us.

9. Laurence_Fox Chaser

... It's not just '1 year without a significant snowpack'.

http://media.nbclosangeles.com/images/01-15-2015-california-drought-monitor.jpg
    https://publichealthwatch.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/climate-change_drought-8.jpg?w=550&h=301
    http://images.mic.com/hvqekow2qrtwo1uskusmum0g1ybeo758pkjoiuyayow0d8hynzptmik8ihao9ecu.jpg
    http://www.ijreview.com/2015/04/290009-before-after-photos-california-drought/
    http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2015/06/05/3666630/california-drought-economic-toll/

And I doubt your willful ignorance will just make the problem go away.

10. Amaury Legendary Hero

11. Iskandar King of Conquerors

I managed to get a Christmas Eve with snowfall in Calfornia back in 2012, but that was it, it was a very dry year between 2012-2013, and it probably hasn't improved. I do not see how Washington is experiencing a drought though. And if they're worried about a fire, everyone could go to a desert. Not much to burn out there. Might not be applicable for a lot of people, but for those who are near one, they could just go to a desert

12. KeybladeSpirit [ENvTuber] [pngTuber]

Are you aware that Washington and California are in roughly the same climate region? Washington may not be as bad as California right now and is enough farther north that it may be fine for a while longer, but there's no telling what might happen in the coming years. Believe it or not, things can change for the worse even as fast as a year or two.

13. Amaury Legendary Hero

Every year is different. That's really all it comes down to.

As mentioned, winter 2014-2015 here had little snow pack. Last time sometime similar happened--if it was worse or not, I don't know--was winter 2005-2006. However, winters 2006-2007, 2007-2008, 2008-2009, 2009-2010, 2010-2011, 2011-2012, 2012-2013, and 2013-2014 had excellent snow, though 2013-2014's snow was delayed due to a high pressure ridge, but we got a ton in early February 2014 and, while it didn't so much here in the city, it continued a lot in the mountains. Snow was also delayed in winter 2010-2011, IIRC, for reasons I don't remember. I was a junior then and can remember going quite a while with cold temperatures, but no snow, but then for about two days in a row, it snowed quite a lot and likely continued even more so in the mountains.

It's just the way it works. Every now and then you have really cold winters and really hot summers, mild winters and really hot summers, really cold winters and mild summers, mild winters and mild summers, winters with little snow pack and really hot summers, etc. I think it's pretty safe to say that normal/average winters and summers are rare, even more rare to have a normal winter and have the following summer be normal as well. Unfortunately, for California, at least Northern California, they've had crappy winters for the last five years.