Square-Enix Final Fantasy XV [the game formerly known as Versus XIII]

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by libregkd, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Arch Mana Knight

Well here's a fun little interview with Nomura. Surprisingly it comes from NBC News.

Source: NBC News

2. Anixe Hollow Bastion Committee

Oooh wow, liked how the interview focused on the design aspect. And yes, surprisingly coming from NBC, it did kinda confirmed the style of what I thought was going on based on the trailers so far. Though, interesting to hear that they are running out of ideas for hairstyles, lol. A small dream of mine is to also become a character designer, so it was insightful (and explains a lot) on how Nomura does things nowadays.

3. Arch Mana Knight

Tabata is co-directing the game. Tabata directed both Crisis Core and Final Fantasy Type-0. This is good news considering how amazing Type-0 turned out to be. ...Despite the fact that it hasn't been localized.

Source: FF.Net

So FFXV is likely to see a PC release. Square's also considering having Cross-Platform Play with the Vita, tablets, and smartphones.

Also, Hashimoto(executive producer) says that "we will be hearing more about the game soon, and that the “dishonest” days of withholding information about games in development for months is at an end". So we won't be thinking FFXV is dead anymore from now on! Hopefully.

And then there's this long interview...thing...It's in Japanese and it's a wall of text so I'll just spoiler this too and translate with Google.

Source: Hokanko

There was a lot of "Nokuto" that I replaced with "Noctis" in that interview to make it a little bit easier to understand. Also I made some parts stand out so you guys can see the important bits.

Basically it's saying the gameplay we saw wouldn't be possible at the start of the game. All that warping and such would probably be only possible at higher levels. There's some talk about moving to next-gen systems and talk of free-running(with teleporting and climbing I guess). The scale of the Leviathan battle will be huge. (We saw it in the recent gameplay trailer so that's obvious.)

Also, it was decided to be released for the Xbox One as well as PS4 two years ago.

4. Menos Grande Kingdom Keeper

They maybe could make Versus an anction RPG at PS4, but turn based at VITA, because Turn base seems to need less power, and turn base fits well in handleds (like pokemon).

5. Arch Mana Knight

They're not making a Vita version of the game. Cross-Play means that you'd need the PS4 for it to function. The PS4 handles the heavy work while the Vita acts as just a screen and controller.

Apparently, the change from Versus to XV was made a long time ago. Years before Agito XIII was rebranded as Type-0! Also, it seems that the "lead console" for Versus isn't the PS4 but rather, PC. PS4 and Xbox One will get ports of the "over-spec" version of the game. If there's a demand for a PC version, they'll release one that'll run on full specs. (Because we all know high-tier expensive PCs are much more powerful than next-gen consoles.)

Nomura didn't want it to be rebranded as XV but when Agito XIII made the change to Type-0 in 2011, he finally accepted it. Also, when that happened, he found that current gen consoles weren't powerful enough for his vision of XV so he approached a programmer on the possibility of just going to next-gen consoles and the programmer was all "lol we were ready for this." And thus, XV skipped current gen consoles because they weren't powerful enough to handle this game.

Source: Kotaku

6. Arch Mana Knight

New Images Released:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plot Synopsis:

Character Descriptions:

Source: Kotaku

I wonder if the name "Prompto" will be kept for the localization. XD

7. Patman Bof

Why wouldn' t it ? It' s all Latin, there' s nothing to translate. Hell, prompto is still in the French dictionary. Oh ... I just got the joke, nevermind. guess that makes me Lente.

What I do wonder is how badly the English VAs will pronounce them (Willow wasn' t kidding, she sucks at Latin big time XD). Or the Japanese ones for that matter, lol Ratin.

8. Arch Mana Knight

A bit too much to quote from this new Famitsu interview but Nomura talks about a few things, some of which we already know, some of which I haven't posted yet, and some new stuff.

Key points:

• There'll be "situational actions" like with cooperative attacks. Meaning? Think Reaction Commands or Quick-Time Events. The gameplay trailer already showed this however.
    • You'll be able to ride Behemoths and other monsters and target specific parts of their bodies. Free-running extends to the world map as well.
    • Nomura wants flashy boss fights like FFXV's shown Leviathan battle where Noctis is climbing through debris of buildings to reach the Leviathan.
    • The city we're shown is heavily inspired off Venice. Hence all the water around.
    • At the bottom left corner there's images of weapons. Originally this was to show Noctis changing weapons with certain combos. Instead of that, players will be able to freely switch between weapons.
    • Nomura wants the game to have a great sense of speed like Kingdom Hearts. Fights will be flashy but more realistic.
    • Red head guy has red hair because of his voice actor. Obviously, it's Axel/Reno's voice actor. No word if the English Voice Actor of Axel/Reno will take the same role as his Japanese counterpart.
    • Red head guy is hostile to Noctis.
    • Nomura admits that while there's only one new female shown, the most recent trailers are "full of guys".
    Source: Siliconera

9. Anixe Hollow Bastion Committee

Interesting to see that they are more conscious of the decisions they are establishing, such as knowing that it is an all male cast. All they need to do is highly consider these things pretty much now while development is still in early stages. I'm kind of worried, though, that the gameplay will be eerily similar to the upcoming Kingdom Hearts III. I would hate to see it become something like KH3 is the "beta" for FFXV or vice versa.

Regardless, I hope it doesn't stray too far away from holding on to some of the core Final Fantasy values. FFXIII definitely took this risk and ideas weren't entirely executed well. It may be just overall Director problems rather than the content itself, but let's see if this approach will surprise us in a relatively good way.

10. Arch Mana Knight

Source: Gematsu

Full interview at Finaland.

Full interview also confirms that mechs are going to stay in the game as controllable "vehicles". There won't be motorbikes because it'd be awkward with five guys. XD There goes our dreams of Final Fantasy: Biker Gang!

In the full interview Nomura is asked about Noctis being included in a future Dissidia, a series which I thought was cancelled. Nomura almost implies the possibility that there may be another Dissidia game but he's not in charge of that so he can't give any concrete info on it.

11. Anixe Hollow Bastion Committee

"Final Fantasy XV‘s main group of playable characters are all male. Asked if there would be any playable female characters, Nomura said, “I can’t say anything specific now but it would be… quite difficult, to have a girl playable.”

ಠ_ಠ

Sorry, but that's a really lame excuse. Not saying they're obligated to have female characters, but I should think that at least one playable gal wouldn't hurt. :c

12. Patman Bof

I translated the whole thing here.

13. Arch Mana Knight

There was no need. My link already has a translated version. @-@

14. Iskandar King of Conquerors

I think it's somewhat interesting having a final fantasy game with no playable girl. I'm not trying to imply anything, but it's something different that they've done, and I'm hoping it leads to having conversations with the other characters about Stella. (who I'm hoping is the relationship character, but who knows. We know it's more than likely, but Final Fantasy has been known to mess with us sometimes)

I'm actually amazed that we have a car to drive around instead of some kind of airship. And the boss fights sound like they'll be really fun. Makes me think like it'll be something along the lines of Metal Gear Rising (it's the best I can think of for flashy boss fights)

15. Patman Bof

Well I' ll be ... %$#$%^ !!!
    Took it from the other site, FFDream, which only had it in French. It took me three freaking hours to type it. XD

16. Chevalier Crystal Princess

What I'd like to know is why it'd be difficult. Is it because the story is already tailored around Noctis and his Entourage? Is it because it makes no sense for a Yakuza-like leader to have ladies around?

Why? That's what I'd like to know.

I'll be honest and say that the clothes the characters are wearing look disparate and sort of juvenile. And not in a Haute Couture way either.

The nicest thing they've got is the Loubutins-look-a-like shoes. And even that is sort of clashing with certain aspects of their clothes.

Fashion can be subjective tho. Their clothes are okay.

17. Patman Bof

I wondered about that too, that sentence was just as vague in French and I see nothing hard about doing that either. It could mean it' d be hard to play with a girl in the sense that, if they end up adding one, she' d be missable like Yuffie in FF7 or hard to control, but again that sentence was super vague so take what I just said with a ton of salt.

18. Anixe Hollow Bastion Committee

Now that I think about it, if Square has done their research, the problem would be finding a decent role for a female character that doesn't come off as an archetype. Granted, from what I've read about FFXV's roster of characters and their descriptions, sounds like they are pretty much going for that "stereotyped" direction. So it may or may not be a good thing for Square to include a female character, if it would mean (kind of in the sense of obligation from pestering fans) to add a female just for the eye candy or for another "Yuffie-type" person.

Whether they do or do not, however, I'll be more looking forward to *extensive and relatively deep* character development and arcs in FFXV (and no, not including their planned sequels) that would highly make up for such lack of diversity.

19. libregkd -

20. Noise For Love and Justice